• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

Why does Disney have no choice in the matter? They went without them for two years. Most people don't buy them at DL. I do find it odd that you can only ride something once maybe Disney will change that in the future.

I'm not why this has turned into a WDW vs Universal thread. They are totally different experiences. I personally enjoy both parks, but I could never make a vacation out of Universal. There is just not enough to do for more than three days. It's not worth the flight across the country for me. I can easily spend a week at WDW, but for most trips, we do both.
I respect your preference. I personally would rather not go to WDW, at least not for now.

I think that Disney has no option to have a true express pass due to the large number of deluxe resorts. Certain rides would be kept out if they do as Universal does while other rides would be inundated with those able to ride as much as they wish. Allowing a one time ride is easier and charging extra for some rides limits their access even more.

I don't know how this became a Universal versus Disney discussion. It didn't come from me.

Why does Disney have no choice in the matter? They went without them for two years. Most people don't buy them at DL. I do find it odd that you can only ride something once maybe Disney will change that in the future.

I'm not why this has turned into a WDW vs Universal thread. They are totally different experiences. I personally enjoy both parks, but I could never make a vacation out of Universal. There is just not enough to do for more than three days. It's not worth the flight across the country for me. I can easily spend a week at WDW, but for most trips, we do both.
Then there is me who would fly across the country to go to Knotts Berry Farm.

I respect your preference. I personally would rather not go to WDW, at least not for now.

I think that Disney has no option to have a true express pass due to the large number of deluxe resorts. Certain rides would be kept out if they do as Universal does while other rides would be inundated with those able to ride as much as they wish. Allowing a one time ride is easier and charging extra for some rides limits their access even more.

I don't know how this became a Universal versus Disney discussion. It didn't come from me.
Before we went I was negative about it mostly from reading this forum. Other than the extra cost it was still a great time. It wasn’t just the fast pass cost food prices were nuts, but that’s everywhere right now. I expect discounts to return and crowds to thin out as the economy free falls. You are smart to hold off.

I haven't read this entire thread (some of us have JOBS, you know :)), but I will say that there's very little that currently appeals to me about planning a trip to WDW. If were a local, then *maybe* I'd want to go check out Cosmic Rewind, but there's nothing else that gives me the desire to visit. And I never thought I'd say that.

However, I did visit Disneyland a couple of months ago. I'd go back there TOMORROW. So if anything, my newfound love for that park only increased my apathy towards WDW.

I haven't read this entire thread (some of us have JOBS, you know :)), but I will say that there's very little that currently appeals to me about planning a trip to WDW. If were a local, then *maybe* I'd want to go check out Cosmic Rewind, but there's nothing else that gives me the desire to visit. And I never thought I'd say that.

However, I did visit Disneyland a couple of months ago. I'd go back there TOMORROW. So if anything, my newfound love for that park only increased my apathy towards WDW.

So good to hear this. I'm going next week for my first trip there ever.

So good to hear this. I'm going next week for my first trip there ever.

It was my second trip, and I loved it even more than the first. Took more time this trip to really soak in the details, and read a great book by Marcy Carriker Smothers to get prepared.

The food was a bit of a disappointment overall, but otherwise, I preferred it in pretty much every single way.

For the first time in forever, my future vacation plans do not include a trip to WDW or DCL. Sad, but I've been there plenty of times before Chapek got his greedy hands on the magic. Those memories will be the ones that stick. But I am hopeful that his tenure is short, and someone will come in and save the business. I guess we'll see.

Our WDW vacations no longer focus on park visits. We don't like to drive so the interior bus transportation is still a pull. We enjoy the customer service, the rooms, the pools and the Springs. We enjoy the various themed eateries and actually have shifted our focus to experiencing restaurants we've previously didn't feel worth 'wasting time' trying to fit in to our schedule. Now we have no schedule. When WDW cancelled the AP's we started to find and enjoy the little extras (sports areas, movies, miniature golf, shopping, nature walks) on property that previously we never took the time to enjoy. Of course, we don't have young along so it's just the two of us and we've being experiencing WDW since the 70's so the rides are 'been there - done that'. We find our vacations more relaxing and we enjoy the Florida weather.

The process continues. I just cancelled Disney +. Hulu and ESPN have already been dropped.The only ABC program I watch is The Good Doctor. DH says DVC is gone after the kids take their next trip. We are DONE after 40+ years of vacations. It's really really sad.

The process continues. I just cancelled Disney +. Hulu and ESPN have already been dropped.The only ABC program I watch is The Good Doctor. DH says DVC is gone after the kids take their next trip. We are DONE after 40+ years of vacations. It's really really sad.
I always feel bad when I see people say this. Thankfully, even after 30+ years of going, the magic is just as strong, if not stronger than ever for me. Considering booking a Sept trip right now, either WDW or DLR (or maybe finally even DLP) Because I can't wait until my Jan trip, even though I've been 3 times in the last 8 months. DVC is a bigger consideration for me than it's ever been. My love has only grown (tremendously) over the last 5ish years, way way more than it was in the 15-20ish years before that. And D+ is pumping out quality material constantly, so getting rid of that isn't even close to on the radar.

All just to say, I wish everyone could feel the same way. (Though I guess that would make the parks even more crowded than they are lol).

I always feel bad when I see people say this. Thankfully, even after 30+ years of going, the magic is just as strong, if not stronger than ever for me. Considering booking a Sept trip right now, either WDW or DLR (or maybe finally even DLP) Because I can't wait until my Jan trip, even though I've been 3 times in the last 8 months. DVC is a bigger consideration for me than it's ever been. My love has only grown (tremendously) over the last 5ish years, way way more than it was in the 15-20ish years before that. And D+ is pumping out quality material constantly, so getting rid of that isn't even close to on the radar.

All just to say, I wish everyone could feel the same way. (Though I guess that would make the parks even more crowded than they are lol).
Disney has declined in many areas for long term frequent visitors. I wish this wasn't the case. Our family has many wonderful memories of Disney. Sadly it's not longer a fun stress free destination.imo Ido not want to monitor Disneys content for the kiddos either.

Last edited:

Completely aligned on your view, less than 30 days from my 3rd trip this year - with two more booked in September and January. I have come to acknowledge (and ignore for the most part) the detractors and focus on what works for me. Of course, people are welcome to do / say whatever - but for me - it makes little difference whether or not we all agree.

Completely aligned on your view, less than 30 days from my 3rd trip this year - with two more booked in September and January. I have come to acknowledge the detractors and focus on what works for me. Of course, people are welcome to do / say whatever - but for me - it makes little difference whether or not we all agree.
I totally agree. Do what works for you. We are a large family and no loner Disney's target audience. At this time it doesn't appeal to us nor does it fit our needs. Disney is unconcerned and so we are moving on. I wish this wasn't the case but 'c'est las vie".

I totally agree. Do what works for you. We are a large family and no loner Disney's target audience. At this time it doesn't appeal to us nor does it fit our needs. Disney is unconcerned and so we are moving on. I wish this wasn't the case but 'c'est las vie".
Agreed and more people should move on if they don't like the experience. It doesn't make sense to spend money on what doesn't bring you joy! For us, we will will continue to make the most of our DVC and enjoy every minute of the parks, because it still brings us joy and we look forward to the next time we are there.

I’ve been to WDW in the 70’s and 80’s and 90’s and 00’s and 10’s and now 20’s…I always have a great time…where some years/experiences better than others - yup
Where some more $$ or less - yup
Where some more crowded or less - yup
I do feel that food quality is the one thing that has consistently ebbed over the decades - CMs and rides and decor all change - but it’s still worth going for me…
Maybe it’s because I don’t have little ones and I’m DVC since 2010 and kept my AP…since reopening- I’ve been 10 times and have 4 more trips planned thru May 2023…

I hear and understand where people are coming from on this thread and I wish it wasn't so :( Personally, the magic is still there for me, but only possibly because I know nothing else!

For now WDW still brings us joy. It’s gotten more expensive doing what we like. So we’ll visit less frequently and think twice where money gets spent. Maybe that’s what they want? We’ll spend the same amount of money over time but will be clogging up the parks less.

Really isn’t a huge difference to us if we visit every 10 or 16 months. Always feels X many days to next trip regardless lol. If this trip costs +25%, then 25% more time tacked on until return visit. That’s it. I have a set amount we’re comfortable putting toward WDW on average each year. Will try our damnedest to maintain.

I didn't start going to Disney until later in life, mid fifties, as I could either never afford to go, or I didn't know what I was missing. My DD and family have been going for years, so when I finally took my first trip, I've been going every year since, sometimes with them and other times with friends. We are all going in September, with my first Great Grandbaby at a year and a half! I will always figure out a way to go!

I just took out the travel documents from our last big WDW/DCL trip end of Aug 2019..
We paid for 4 disney adults 2700.00 for 4 nights POP standard with Pool view and 10 day park hopper as we did a split trip. this also included: Free QS dining, free resort parking ( or maybe it started then?), ME and free fast passes that didnt require me getting up at 6:50am WHILE ON VACATION!!!!

I was kinda playing around with what that trip would cost right now. - if I add in genier, parking, dining etc... I would be almost double and a lot more stress.
We did it the 2010s 9 years straight 10 days trips during FD, low crowds.. It was BLISSS! ok minues Irma/Dorian.
We had the luxury of being able to have longer trips where we could just hange out at WDW... For us these times are gone unless we are forkeing over near 10 Grand.. That is a number most Amercians cannot do. (DIS demographics definately are not the average USA or World inccomes)

In the future we see just shorter trips to do the newer rides to experience them. Maybe one day F&W but we find we get more bang for our money at Disney Paris for DCL when special rates are out.

As a foreign guest with family, who does tons of shopping in Orlaando the biggest disappointment is no longer the free ME. We would return our car rental midway and take the ME to MCO when we left. We HAD to as with 4 people and 5-6 large suitcases, our rental was always too small, even an SUV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter