• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

I just took out the travel documents from our last big WDW/DCL trip end of Aug 2019..
We paid for 4 disney adults 2700.00 for 4 nights POP standard with Pool view and 10 day park hopper as we did a split trip. this also included: Free QS dining, free resort parking ( or maybe it started then?), ME and free fast passes that didnt require me getting up at 6:50am WHILE ON VACATION!!!!
Four Adult 10 day hoppers is over $2,700 now. Yikes!

61FA2CC5-01FD-4CD9-9967-6248215FAD3D.png

We have visited WDW 5 or 6 times since reopening. Our last visit was a nightmare...very stressful. It was bad enough the little one choose the Bahamas over Disney last month. Chapek received a 3 year extension on his contract so I don't expect any improvement. Although I don't hold him completely responsible for the current state . He makes a good scapegoat. JMO

We have visited WDW 5 or 6 times since reopening. Our last visit was a nightmare...very stressful. It was bad enough the little one choose the Bahamas over Disney last month. Chapek received a 3 year extension on his contract so I don't expect any improvement. Although I don't hold him completely responsible for the current state . He makes a good scapegoat. JMO
I agree that Chapek is a convenient scapegoat. He not very personable and it's easy to project our unhappiness with the state of the company onto him. But the board voting to extend his contract for another 3 years sends the message that they are pleased with the direction that the company has headed under his leadership. That's the discouraging part.

I agree that Chapek is a convenient scapegoat. He not very personable and it's easy to project our unhappiness with the state of the company onto him. But the board voting to extend his contract for another 3 years sends the message that they are pleased with the direction that the company has headed under his leadership. That's the discouraging part.

He gets his orders from the board of directors, so the blame ultimately lands on them.

I made my last trip to WDW a few months ago. I loved the place and stayed on property over 50 times in the last 30 years. The main reason I'm not going back is because of my age. The place is way too big for me now. I will not rent a scooter because it would be nerve racking driving it in the crowds. Over the years WDW has lost some of it's magic for me. The planning has become too complicated and the whole atmosphere of WDW isn't the same as it was. I also wish Disney would stay out of politics. I have great memories and the trips were all worth it.

I made my last trip to WDW a few months ago. I loved the place and stayed on property over 50 times in the last 30 years. The main reason I'm not going back is because of my age. The place is way too big for me now. I will not rent a scooter because it would be nerve racking driving it in the crowds. Over the years WDW has lost some of it's magic for me. The planning has become too complicated and the whole atmosphere of WDW isn't the same as it was. I also wish Disney would stay out of politics. I have great memories and the trips were all worth it.

Go to DL. It's not as spread out, so you don't have to walk as much.

Last edited:
This is my exact sentiment.

We are in our early 70’s and this will be our last trip there and we’re only doing it this year for my GD. This whole ADR, No FastPasses, No Magical Express, APR, and PARK hopping after 2pm, are not worth it anymore.
I’m just happy we have been there when the magic was still there for us old folks. I’m sure kids and some adults still love it and Im glad for them.

He gets his orders from the board of directors, so the blame ultimately lands on them.
I don't think the orders that the board hands down are very specific. They're more along the lines of "We would like to see a 5% reduction in transportation costs" as opposed to "Drag your feet on returning tram service to the AK and Epcot parking."

Chapek is an easy target for us but I blame D'Amaro for the slow return of normal services at WDW.

I don't think the orders that the board hands down are very specific. They're more along the lines of "We would like to see a 5% reduction in transportation costs" as opposed to "Drag your feet on returning tram service to the AK and Epcot parking."

Chapek is an easy target for us but I blame D'Amaro for the slow return of normal services at WDW.
💯

We can blame Chapek all we want but we also have to give some of the blame to the consumer. The consumer that still pays and forks over money for all the extras. In a way it’s the sense of entitlement that people have where if you have the money to buy extra you are entitled to more. Is capitalism at its evil

We can blame Chapek all we want but we also have to give some of the blame to the consumer. The consumer that still pays and forks over money for all the extras. In a way it’s the sense of entitlement that people have where if you have the money to buy extra you are entitled to more. Is capitalism at its evil
So as a consumer and your upcoming 11 night trip - what "extras" are you foregoing?

How they implement the asks are dependent on management. But the asks are still driven by the board. It's seems like the ask is in general to maximize per guest spend in the park and keep costs down where you can.

I think we can ALL agree that a part of the magic has been eroded, with certain perks gobbled up... but with new attractions going up across multiple parks and regeneration, coupled with recent tourism hits, can we bring ourselves to understand why these short fallings have taken place? Just askin'.

I think we can ALL agree that a part of the magic has been eroded, with certain perks gobbled up... but with new attractions going up across multiple parks and regeneration, coupled with recent tourism hits, can we bring ourselves to understand why these short fallings have taken place? Just askin'.

The answer is simply so Disney can make more money. That has always been the reason. The magic doesn't make capitalism change. It's the reality.

The answer is simply so Disney can make more money. That has always been the reason. The magic doesn't make capitalism change. It's the reality.

What do we make of the current CEO? As profit grabbing as Eisner? Or the forefather, Walt Himself? Is everything down to profit-chasing? I think, in part, sadly, it is. I mean, the special something that makes Disney Disney is still there, but I fear it is becoming progressively like yet another company :(

What do we make of the current CEO? As profit grabbing as Eisner? Or the forefather, Walt Himself? Is everything down to profit-chasing? I think, in part, sadly, it is. I mean, the special something that makes Disney Disney is still there, but I fear it is becoming progressively like yet another company :(
Disney IS like every other company though. They are special in that they have a very powerful brand that they use to make money. That brand being nostalgia of their parks and their movies, characters, etc.

The problem is that their definition of a "better CEO" would be one that did even more of the stuff we all dislike.
Not true!

A good CEO know he needs to build a relationship with his or her consumers, not rape them for ever single last penny and discard them. In this case I would proffer that a "better CEO" would be one that understands the term "VALUE". You get what you pay for.

If you paying a premium to stay on property you should get a premium service.
If you are staying at a "Nice Inn and Suites" on I drive, well Disney owes you less.

There is a way of maximizing profits without gouging your core customers.

Guest staying on property should be incentivized for doing so.

Extra Magic Hours, free or discounted Genie +, earlier park reservations, ticket discounted, etc. ANNUAL PASSES!!!

Guest staying off property, or Visiting for Universal etc. well they can pay retail!

Building a relationship with your guest brings them back multiple times a year....

Price Gouging, drives them to the competitions

A better CEO would know this,

A money hungry one ..... well, would do just about exactly what Chapek is doing....

Disney IS like every other company though. They are special in that they have a very powerful brand that they use to make money. That brand being nostalgia of their parks and their movies, characters, etc.

The sad thing is, it didn't all use to be like that. Walt was a true dreamer! If you need proof for that, try his visions for EPCOT...

They're all profit grabbers. The current one is less discreet about it. Disney has always been like other companies. What it did in the past to stand out has now mostly become the norm. It's not really doing anything new to stand out. I can get better customer service outside of Disney whereas this wasn't always the case. And the reason why Disney can get away with this is that it doesn't have a lot of competition in its space. Nick was its best competition when I was a kid.

They're all profit grabbers. The current one is less discreet about it. Disney has always been like other companies. What it did in the past to stand out has now mostly become the norm. It's not really doing anything new to stand out. I can get better customer service outside of Disney whereas this wasn't always the case. And the reason why Disney can get away with this is that it doesn't have a lot of competition in its space. Nick was its best competition when I was a kid.
Actually, it's funny you should say that.

When I was last in Vegas, it struck me how magical it was. Yah, it was phoney, but it was FUN phoney! From the fountain shows, gondola rides, 5 million high profile shows to its whimsey (think atrium in the Bellagio) and the amazing theming of the place, it kinda dawned on my that for funs, it was a competitor to Disney!

usa--nevada--las-vegas-at-night-642111301-59e56e7b9abed50011316280.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter