My Rant on tipping

I think the hardest thing about the tipping is being a table of 6 we will have to pay the same regardless of what service we get.
Yes, and it is important to remember that such policies aren't capricious -- they're a reflection of the frequency of unscrupulous patrons failing to responsibly apply reasonable discretion. If instances were rare, the risk would be low, and there wouldn't be a need for such policies. Unfortunately, such instances are too common, and therefore such policies are necessary. :(

I believe in tipping, even tipping pretty well, but I gotta admit I don't understand tipping for REALLY BAD service. And I'm not talking about forgetting to fill the water glass or putting plates down in front of the wrong people. I mean BAD.

LOL. Geez people, lay off. The poster stated an opinion and he's called a troll and insulted. But hey, I've got a low post count so maybe I'm a CIA Operative. If this is the only thing you have to gripe about in life, things are going pretty good.

Trolling or not......one post is suspicious, but I will give the benefit of the doubt here and think maybe they have been lurking and have finally decided to post...

This thread will be watched by the moderators of this board as we all know how passionate we can get about tipping....

Also.... "Overseas its the ugly American" really bothered me this morning... we certainly do not have to read how bad the Americans are here on the Dis.. please say it isn't so....In these times, with all that is going on in the world... please think before posting bashing any group.... thanks.

I did not see the "Overseas its the ugly American" post. What was that about? :confused3 I know this is off topic, but I am a proud American :goodvibes , and I would like to know what was printed about us "ugly Americans". :eek:

Or a job as a restaurant server for a while, to experience what it's REALLY like... and worth.

We have gone back and forth on this board on the amount of gratuity a Dis server is entitled to. They make a pretty good wage.....and let's don't go there about numbers.....we know what they are. There are many folks out there that work hard......servers are not an exception to the rule. Many don't like the service charge and I am one of them. I don't believe that is the only way a server can make a good wage. A good server doesn't need auto grat....it mostly helps a lousy one. Quite unfair to the ones that take pride in their work and are good at what they do.

There are many folks out there that work hard......servers are not an exception to the rule.
Maybe if I quote the specific post to which I was responding?
Loafmaster: "Grinch, you need friends...or a hobby." followed immediately by my "Or a job as a restaurant server for a while, to experience what it's REALLY like... and worth."

Just an FYI, tipped servers don't make minimum wage, they earn somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3/hour.

I did not see the "Overseas its the ugly American" post. What was that about? :confused3 I know this is off topic, but I am a proud American :goodvibes , and I would like to know what was printed about us "ugly Americans". :eek:

Don’t worry nobody thinks about Americans like that “overseas”.:thumbsup2
You are considered as generous tippers .

Reading all of this I still keep thinking the Unions must make an end to all of this and make sure everyone gets a normal income.

Reading all of this I still keep thinking the Unions must make an end to all of this and make sure everyone gets a normal income.
The workers don't necessarily see a flat, automatic gratuity as a good thing. They only want it applied for larger groups where the chances of a superior tip aren't high enough to outweigh the higher risk associated with being stiffed.

The workers don't necessarily see a flat, automatic gratuity as a good thing. They only want it applied for larger groups where the chances of a superior tip aren't high enough to outweigh the higher risk associated with being stiffed.

I still think that its very bad idea that anybody has to live from tipping.

I know different country ,different rules but I just can't see the sense of underpaying.

Wouldn’t it be a relief just to give a tip from your hart then being forced into a rule that’s senseless and make’s so many people upset?
And yes we always leave a tip so its not I’m not willing to give anything but the thought “ if I don’t give enough his children will starve” makes me feel very oncomfy.

I even think the whole problem will get bigger if this recession grows.
More and more overseas guests will fly over now the dollar is so low. Considering that tipping is a politeness in most countries and nut a must this problem will only get bigger.

I don't know a solution but this situation is like a steamcooker and not only in WDW.

I still think that its very bad idea that anybody has to live from tipping.
Yes, that's clear, but everyone should have a right to be able to choose for themselves between a career with a flat per hour wage and a career with compensation based on gratuities. There are literally thousands of jobs at WDW which are offered with a set, per hour wage... for example, housekeepers. So there are choices.

I know different country ,different rules but I just can't see the sense of underpaying.
Underpaying is a red herring. We're not talking about underpaying. We're talking about where the cost of service is discretionary, not optional.

Wouldn’t it be a relief just to give a tip from your hart then being forced into a rule that’s senseless and make’s so many people upset?
There is nothing "senseless" about compensating servers fairly for the service they provide you, based on the mores of the society. Furthermore, the upset is the problem, not a symptom of a problem: People shouldn't be upset about complying with such reasonable mores. That upset you refer to is either self-imposed, and therefore self-remedial, or a reflection of rampant entitlement mentality, which doesn't deserve any special consideration, any more than you'd offer special consideration to someone speaking with crude language.

Within the context of society's mores, there is no stress associated with providing a gratuity, whether it is a proscribed one for larger parties or a discretionary one for smaller parties.

the thought “ if I don’t give enough his children will starve” makes me feel very oncomfy.
That's stress you're imposing on yourself, really -- I don't think you need to think about it in those terms. Rather, it is simply part of the cost of the meal, a part that you have discretion over.

I've used that term several times -- discretion -- tipping is not an "option". Rather, you are obligated to provide a gratuity, either paying the automatic gratuity for larger parties or providing a gratuity yourself for smaller parties. The special aspect in the latter case is that the amount of the gratuity is discretionary, with a base of 15%, made a bit higher or lower based on the quality of service you actually receive.

If the amount of money itself is contributing to your stress then revise your thinking -- we are not talking about a difference of 15% of the cost of your meal -- we are only talking about a 3%-5% range on either side of 15% of the cost of your meal. That 15% you should have already factored into your understanding of the cost of your meal. Some folks may elect to concern themselves with a larger range -- that is their prerogative. However, it is not an obligation to apply discretion along such a larger range. If you don't like doing so, don't. Just concern yourself with the 3%-5% range on either side of the 15%.

I even think the whole problem will get bigger if this recession grows.
The gratuity system has been through dozens of recessions over the past 150 years. It hasn't been a problem.

More and more overseas guests will fly over now the dollar is so low.
Just like Americans have flown overseas in the past: We learned and complied with your society's mores; I'm sure you'll have no problem complying with ours.

Yes, that's clear, but everyone should have a right to be able to choose for themselves between a career with a flat per hour wage and a career with compensation based on gratuities. There are literally thousands of jobs at WDW which are offered with a set, per hour wage... for example, housekeepers. So there are choices.

Underpaying is a red herring. We're not talking about underpaying. We're talking about where the cost of service is discretionary, not optional.

There is nothing "senseless" about compensating servers fairly for the service they provide you, based on the mores of the society. Furthermore, the upset is the problem, not a symptom of a problem: People shouldn't be upset about complying with such reasonable mores. That upset you refer to is either self-imposed, and therefore self-remedial, or a reflection of rampant entitlement mentality, which doesn't deserve any special consideration, any more than you'd offer special consideration to someone speaking with crude language.

Within the context of society's mores, there is no stress associated with providing a gratuity, whether it is a proscribed one for larger parties or a discretionary one for smaller parties.

That's stress you're imposing on yourself, really -- I don't think you need to think about it in those terms. Rather, it is simply part of the cost of the meal, a part that you have discretion over.

I've used that term several times -- discretion -- tipping is not an "option". Rather, you are obligated to provide a gratuity, either paying the automatic gratuity for larger parties or providing a gratuity yourself for smaller parties. The special aspect in the latter case is that the amount of the gratuity is discretionary, with a base of 15%, made a bit higher or lower based on the quality of service you actually receive.

If the amount of money itself is contributing to your stress then revise your thinking -- we are not talking about a difference of 15% of the cost of your meal -- we are only talking about a 3%-5% range on either side of 15% of the cost of your meal. That 15% you should have already factored into your understanding of the cost of your meal. Some folks may elect to concern themselves with a larger range -- that is their prerogative. However, it is not an obligation to apply discretion along such a larger range. If you don't like doing so, don't. Just concern yourself with the 3%-5% range on either side of the 15%.

The gratuity system has been through dozens of recessions over the past 150 years. It hasn't been a problem.

Just like Americans have flown overseas in the past: We learned and complied with your society's mores; I'm sure you'll have no problem complying with ours.

Ditto!!!

So far so good..... I am glad to say we are discussing this rationally and staying within Dis guidelines.. Thank you!!!!

Just commenting a bit more.. my Mom was a waitress when I was growing up.. She was a good server and took her job seriously. The cute part of this story is that she saved all her silver coin....her Kennedy coins, this is before the coins were mixed and were all silver. I have them to this day safely put away... and knowing I have them makes me think of her and how hard she worked for that coin. I guess what I am saying here is some really take pride in their jobs to serve the public. I know many servers who are like that today.

Those are the ones who deserve the 20% or more, breakfast servers we always tip more as the check is usually lower. It is a reward for service...if the service is not good, then you make that decision to either lower the percentage or not tip at all, but your choice.
I do not like my choice being taken away from me and I see that more often than not, not always on tipping..

And one more thought here, not on tipping, to the previous poster who said that they lurk and do not always post......that is what the Dis is for. If you CHOOSE to post, then fine, but if you CHOOSE to just read, fine as well. I think we should give everyone the benefit of the doubt no matter what their post count is and not label anyone....

I do have no problem with a rule in any country but if I read that the minimum wage for a waiter is 3 or 4 dollar then I wonder how they can survive ????.

In my humble opinion just put e few dollar extra on the menu price and stop stiffing waiters.

To Bicker.
Just would like you to know I'm not a commie :rotfl2:

Just a believer of enough money for everyone.

Bicker...I totally agree with you...tipping is not optional. Maybe this is why WDW has had to change several of their tipping policies? Maybe too many people thought tipping was optional? I realize that a trip to WDW can be very pricey.....but that does not excuse anyone for not tipping as required.
BTW...on all of our past WDW trips, we have only had one server that did not deserve the average 18% tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter