my father died today

earfulofmagic

cranking out magic and assembly line whimsy
I thought we had more time, is all.

He brought our family to Disney World a bunch of times, though it involved lots of saving up and scrimping. When we were toddlers; when I was 8, 9, 11. Always for a week in the summer over my birthday. I wish I had more photos. I wish I could tell him my appreciation again.

I remember eating Mickey-shaped pizzas (circa 2000, must've been QS) and having the time of my life in the pool. That my dad loved Test Track and all rollercoasters. I remember my dad taking me back to the resort when I got sick in the parks midday. And again on the monorail. And again back at the resort.

He wasn't a perfect father. We didn't have a close relationship. Yet when I think of going back home for the funeral, all I can think is how I only want to see him, and how I thought we had time to become close one day.

I was jazzed when the Cubs won the World Series last November. He's been a fan all his life, and seeing them finally win last year was everything. He told me afterwards he never thought he'd live to see his Cubbies win in his lifetime, but I'm thankful he did.

Thanks for letting me cry and helping me smile, DIS pals. :hug:

:hug:'s earful.

So sorry to hear of your dad's passing.

Some wonderful memories there, so happy that they are there with you, forever. And I felt likewise about those Cubs, never thought I would see them win it all in my lifetime. But, they did. And your dad got to see them do so!!

We always think we have more time, another visit, another day. We all have to make the best of the days we have.

Cry as you feel, smile as you feel his memories coming alive within you, earful. God bless you and your family, God speed for dad. :hug:'s

I have NO idea who you are. But that's what makes these boards and the Disney community so special. I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. Went through the same thing about six years ago now and I promise you WILL get through this. Stay strong and live in the memories, for at some point, that is all we have left. God bless.

Last edited:

Thinking of you; so sorry for your loss. What wonderful memories you have of him, and you together.

I thought we had more time, is all.

He brought our family to Disney World a bunch of times, though it involved lots of saving up and scrimping. When we were toddlers; when I was 8, 9, 11. Always for a week in the summer over my birthday. I wish I had more photos. I wish I could tell him my appreciation again.

I remember eating Mickey-shaped pizzas (circa 2000, must've been QS) and having the time of my life in the pool. That my dad loved Test Track and all rollercoasters. I remember my dad taking me back to the resort when I got sick in the parks midday. And again on the monorail. And again back at the resort.

He wasn't a perfect father. We didn't have a close relationship. Yet when I think of going back home for the funeral, all I can think is how I only want to see him, and how I thought we had time to become close one day.

I was jazzed when the Cubs won the World Series last November. He's been a fan all his life, and seeing them finally win last year was everything. He told me afterwards he never thought he'd live to see his Cubbies win in his lifetime, but I'm thankful he did.

Thanks for letting me cry and helping me smile, DIS pals. :hug:
I'm so sorry for your loss. May God bless you and your father.

Thank you all so much for your warm and heartfelt words. :hug: Hug all your loved ones tight, as often as you can.

I'm so sorry. :hug:

When I lost my Dad it felt like someone punched me and then I spent days feeling like I was in a fog. It's hard and I feel for you.

I took early retirement to take care of my elderly father for about a decade before he died. He was an extremely flawed individual, but who was all in all a decent person. I learned to love the good parts of who he was while not pretending that he was perfect.

So sorry for your loss. Keep his memory alive by sharing stories and memories just as you have done here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!