My Dad Passed Away Friday

My dad passed away Friday morning. He had an extremely rare and aggressive form of brain cancer and everything that could be done was done. Over the last 7 months we lost bits and pieces of him little by little, but we were really lucky that he didn't have a lot of side effects from treatment and we were able to enjoy the time we had left. His final decline in health was swift and merciful and he passed away at home with my mother and I at his side.

My dad was just a good guy. He was absolutely unfailing as a father. I could never enumerate all the things he's done to give me comfort, happiness, security and independence. He was a very smart businessman and negotiator and used his talents for the good serving as a public school administrator his entire career. Besides family and business his passions included camping, the outdoors and anything with a motor. The last several years him and my mom enjoyed several winters at an RV resort in Florida every winter where they had a flourishing social life. Although I will miss him desperately I take comfort that he was able to live such a fulfilling life and has provided me with the tools I need to carry on.

Thanks for letting me share.

This Janurary my Dad will be gon 10 yrs. He started with esophogeal cancer that in the end had spread. The last month or so it had spread to his brain. It was devastating to see such a strong man weaken so. We were all grateful that he only had to deal with the brain cancer for about a month. It was so hard.He was like your dad in the fact that he was just one of those men that was great. He had touched SO many lives. It was really hard those first couple of years. I felt lost and unbalanced. He was the patriarch ( in the good sence ) of the whole extended family. He kept everyone together without even trying. Everyone just gravitated toward him.
It will get easier. I can think of him and not break down in gasping sobs now. But I still have my moments :) You are very lucky to have had such a great dad! Feel what you need to feel. Get your family together and remember him and love him. Prayers for you and your family!

What a beautiful tribute! I am so sorry for your loss. :hug: :grouphug: I am in a similar boat right now, too. So hard!

My dad passed away Friday morning. He had an extremely rare and aggressive form of brain cancer and everything that could be done was done. Over the last 7 months we lost bits and pieces of him little by little, but we were really lucky that he didn't have a lot of side effects from treatment and we were able to enjoy the time we had left. His final decline in health was swift and merciful and he passed away at home with my mother and I at his side.

My dad was just a good guy. He was absolutely unfailing as a father. I could never enumerate all the things he's done to give me comfort, happiness, security and independence. He was a very smart businessman and negotiator and used his talents for the good serving as a public school administrator his entire career. Besides family and business his passions included camping, the outdoors and anything with a motor. The last several years him and my mom enjoyed several winters at an RV resort in Florida every winter where they had a flourishing social life. Although I will miss him desperately I take comfort that he was able to live such a fulfilling life and has provided me with the tools I need to carry on.

What a heartfelt tribute to him. He sounds like an AMAZING man and father. So very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss, what an amazing tribute to an amazing person. My own father passed in 2006 while I was in college, I am still heartbroken by losing him so early, but reflecting on our time together he had already given me all the tools I needed, and that has been such a great gift in my life.

I lost my dad to a brain tumor as well. No matter how old you are, it's always difficult to lose a parent. Cancer is a horrible, terrible disease, and we need to find a cure ASAP. You now have a guardian angel watching over you. {{{Hugs}}}

I'm so sorry for your loss. My Dad died in early August unexpectedly. He was just going to turn 77 in September. He's been fighting cancer for 8 years and all of a sudden he was gone due to an infection. I had visited him in May and we had some wonderful conversations.

My sisters and I did a Celebration of Life for him last week. It was so bittersweet seeing all of his friends, neighbors and our family (many who I hadn't seen in over 30 years) get together. I cherish the stories told. One gentlemen had even gone to elementary school with him.

Your online eulogy was wonderful. Keep those memories in your heart. You have my deepest condolences.

My condolences on the loss of your Dad...and what a sweet and lovely eulogy. I'm guessing he'd be very proud to hear such a tribute from you. :flower3:

What lovely words you have written about your father. I'm sure he was a blessing to you and many others. I pray that you are comforted by the many good memories you have.

I just tweeted something about my dad a few minutes ago. I loved and lost my dad almost 2 years ago. He too, was as good a father as anyone could have. I'm sorry for your loss and the hurt of your heart right now. There will be smiles ahead from all your happy memories. It just takes awhile.:grouphug:

Last edited:
:eeyore: My condolences.
♥♥♥ When people share these great losses it always reminds to me be in the moment and enjoy those you love and make time for them.

Smokeyblue, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad in 1984. He was only 45 years old and he was an amazing, good man who should have lived to be 100. I am older now than he got to be. He died suddenly and unexpectedly and we didn't get the chance to say goodbye or anything profound. If you need something to take comfort in, take comfort in having had that chance to tell him how much he meant to you and that you were with him at the end. If I had known the day my father died that those were my last moments with him, I would have said and done so many things so differently. As someone else said above, this isn't a club that any of us wish to be a member of but we share a common bond. Be strong, it will eventually get easier but I'm not gonna lie to you, it will take a long time, because he was/is such an important part of who you are. Blessings to you and your family. Kelli ❤

Sorry for your loss and it sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful father/daughter relationship.

He sounds like a wonderful father and all around great guy. I am so sorry for your loss, and grief you must be feeling. I hope you find peace and comfort in recalling all the beautiful memories you have of your dad. Hugs to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter