Must DH wear suit to a wedding

The tradition of wearing a suit to a wedding is definitely not thousands of years old. Or universal.
The tradition of wearing your "finest attire," whatever that may be, is thousands of years old and universal. I wouldn't expect a Bangladeshi wedding to have a lot of people in Western business suits.

The tradition of wearing your "finest attire," whatever that may be, is thousands of years old and universal. I wouldn't expect a Bangladeshi wedding to have a lot of people in Western business suits.
Aren't you just answering your own beef you have with this whole suit thing?? If it's wearing your finest attire then people are going to go through their closet and...wait for it...find their finest attire and that is going to depend on each and every person what the content of their closet is.

Sounds like you might want to expand your viewpoint.

…denying entry to the underdressed.
View attachment 694833

Interestingly, a very old-school rule in the Marvel Comics universe is that a superhero costume can be acceptable as formal-wear. Steve Rogers could show up wearing that to any black-tie affair and be perfectly fine. Well, Steve Rogers should be perfectly fine in anything, anywhere, anytime - but it applies to other heroes too!

I'll dress how you want me to dress as long as you're ok slipping and sliding in all the sweat I've dripped on the floor. I don't wear suits. I don't wear long sleeves. You're lucky that you see me at a wedding in long pants. Make me dress fancy, and it's you who is going to have to deal with being around the smell of me pouring out sweat roasting in the fancy clothes.

Plus I'd appreciate it not being called a slob just because I think skipping out on 3 months of my electric bill just to buy fancy clothes is ridiculous.
And while I’m at it… ;)

E55C7A97-37C5-441B-A32B-CD3922F054B7.gif

Never in my life have a seen anyone show up that under dresses to a wedding or a funeral (and I hate dressing up).
You've never been to a Midwest wedding, I assume? 🤣 jeans and a clean top is a-ok at most.
I genuinely can't even fathom this. What would you do if someone died tomorrow and you had to go to a funeral?
Neither my husband, nor my son's, own suits. For all the funerals we have been to, it's khakis, polo or button down, clean shoes (tennis shoes, more than likely!).

And they are typically the overdressed ones. 🤷‍♀️

Fancy clothes do not equal respect for the deceased (or bridal party).

I'm curious... why are you "afraid" of Weddings getting more casual? Unless you are the ones getting married, why do you care what anyone else wears to the wedding?
WhenI said I was afraid it was a saying , you never heard something said that way. I said it was fine for him to wear dress shirt. And pants. Not really afraid….lol

I just meant people used to really dress up but now don’t even for funerals. It is a shame really I miss seeing people dressed up. When I was younger long dresses was a thing to wear to a weddings Not so now.

Aren't you just answering your own beef you have with this whole suit thing?? If it's wearing your finest attire then people are going to go through their closet and...wait for it...find their finest attire and that is going to depend on each and every person what the content of their closet is.

Sounds like you might want to expand your viewpoint.
You beat me to it

I genuinely can't even fathom this. What would you do if someone died tomorrow and you had to go to a funeral?

I think, for whatever reason, a lot of people have problems understanding that not everyone everywhere does everything the same way - not everyone lives the same way, has the same traditions, has the same dress standards, talks the same way, celebrates weddings the same way, or mourns the same way.

Yes, in your insulated circle, it might be unfathomable to you for a man to not have a suit he can pull out of his closet for a wedding or a funeral, but I assure you not everyone is like you & those in your circle.

I’ve attended many sweet, precious funerals where not every man in attendance was wearing a suit. Some even wore jeans. Some came straight from their blue-collar jobs & were still in their work uniforms. No one felt disrespected. The officiants didn’t “tsk-tsk” from the pulpit during the funeral services. And the families of the deceased still felt just as loved as if every man there were wearing his finest suit… maybe even more so because, instead of getting hung up on what people were wearing, they just let themselves feel gratitude & be comforted by the love & support from all their family & friends who had shown up during their time of sorrow & grief.

Yes, there are definitely occasions where a more formal dress or outfit is desired and/or needed, & the way we dress can be a sign of respect for the occasion or place or other people in attendance & should always be considered.

And dressing appropriately & respectfully for the occasion/place is a skill that not everyone has, & I know some people just don’t see dress as important any more. Additionally, someone’s personal standards & what one considers appropriate & respectful vary from person to person, social circle to social circle, & culture to culture.

However, graciousness & civility go both ways, & we should always realize that not everyone is going to be exactly like we are.

Last edited:
WhenI said I was afraid it was a saying , you never heard something said that way.
Yes, of course I've heard it. But it's usually in response to something you didn't like... "I didn't win the lottery I'm afraid to say". It sounds like you're afraid weddings are getting too casual, so I was asking why.

We can toss in a few remarks about wearing matching t-shirts and Crocs to the event, might push it up to 125 posts.

And I was at a funeral recently where the family/extended family of the deceased wore... tan bottoms and white tops. They all matched. Another I went to during the pandemic, the family all wore matching face masks of the deceased's favorite baseball team. "Funeral" is a term used lightly anymore... most are now called a "celebration of life" and casual clothing or bright colors are more the norm than black suits.

OP - your DH is fine with his planned attire. Same thing my DH has worn to the past 4-5 weddings we've attended.

You guys wear pajamas on airplanes don't you? And slippers at the grocery store.

Harumph.

1vQD.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!