Muscles Spasms...….

I had extreme muscle spasms in my back a few months ago. The only thing that helped (not Tylenol, Ibuprofen, even pain meds, hot/cold compress, heating pad, nothing) was the Icy Hot Tens Therapy patch. It's a little pricey, but it's worth it IMO. It provided such relief within a matter of days of on/off use. Highly, highly recommend!

I had extreme muscle spasms in my back a few months ago. The only thing that helped (not Tylenol, Ibuprofen, even pain meds, hot/cold compress, heating pad, nothing) was the Icy Hot Tens Therapy patch. It's a little pricey, but it's worth it IMO. It provided such relief within a matter of days of on/off use. Highly, highly recommend!
How pricey was it?

Where?

I've had calf cramps after I woke up in the middle of the night. I can only imagine that it's what it feels like to be stabbed. I thought the best thing to do was relax and even if it still feels stiff just let it pass instead of trying to move.

There are some theories that dehydration contributes, although that could be just one cause.

Where?

I've had calf cramps after I woke up in the middle of the night. I can only imagine that it's what it feels like to be stabbed. I thought the best thing to do was relax and even if it still feels stiff just let it pass instead of trying to move.

There are some theories that dehydration contributes, although that could be just one cause.
I have drank so much water,

Perhaps also get your doctor to run some blood tests. Deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals can cause that symptom. Nothing life-threatening and imbalances can be easily and inexpensively corrected with supplements. Potassium comes to mind, especially if you're having leg cramps at night, which are very, very painful.

Perhaps also get your doctor to run some blood tests. Deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals can cause that symptom. Nothing life-threatening and imbalances can be easily and inexpensively corrected with supplements. Potassium comes to mind, especially if you're having leg cramps at night, which are very, very painful.
I have no doctor or insurance

How pricey was it?

I got it for $30 at Walmart. It lasts for a long time, too. I had it for 5-6 months before it finally died (battery ran out) and I used it quite a bit. I probably could have just replaced the battery, but it's one of those round ones that's hard to size/put back in.

When the original patch get less sticky (not until after quite a bit of use), you can purchase new ones which the unit clips on to for about $10.

I would try Gatorade & bananas. Have you done anything to damage a nerve? If you have, these remedies won't work. You'll need medical intervention. I feel for you. I've been where you are. It shouldn't happen in a first world country, but it does. >:( If you need emotional support, I'm here. :hug:

Last edited:
I've dealt with muscle spasms in my hip, leg, and back for several years now. I do have some dietary restrictions (vegetarian and lactose intolerant) and whenever my B12, D, or Calcium levels are low, the spasms increase. If you can't get tested, try to keep track of what you're eating to see if you may be missing out on any vitamins. Low potassium or magnesium can also contribute to muscle spasms. A multi-vitamin shouldn't hurt to try if you're not already taking one. I also second the idea of a TENS machine. I have a pricier one (spent about $200 on it) that has 4 pads and several features, but a cheaper one works just as well. I just invested in a higher-priced one so I could hit multiple areas with different settings at the same time. Gentle stretching before doing anything even remotely strenuous can be helpful in preventing muscle spasms in some cases, and can help to loosen the muscle if it's stuck in a contraction. The last thing that helps me is a medicine called cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxer, though it's prescription only, which doesn't help if you don't have insurance/can't see a doctor.

Thank you everyone, my situation is complicated, I do have sciatica issues as well. I guess I will have to continue to take my warm baths, But I appreciate everyones in put though.

Flexing and then relaxing the foot of the affected leg will lessen the duration of the cramp, sometimes to just seconds. Nice old trick that works.

I have done some work for seniors. Several swore by putting a bar of soap under the fitted sheet of the bed where your legs are. I don’t know the science.

I have used a muscle relaxer for severe abdomen/lower back and neck muscle spasms. I had to break the pills into two as a whole pill was too strong. I also did PT for a few weeks. Continuing the exercises afterwards helped.

My husband would get cramps/spasms in his legs at night. His Dr recommended drinking some tonic water before bed. It did help alleviate a lot of the cramping.

I get cramps often in my legs and feet, but only at night. Walking around helps get them out.

from mayo clinic

What causes cramps and muscle spasms?
Overuse of a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a prolonged period can cause a muscle cramp. In many cases, however, the cause isn't known. Although most muscle cramps are harmless, some may be related to an underlying medical condition, such as: Inadequate blood supply.

I've had a lot of muscle cramps in both of my legs since I was in an auto accident last year. Generally, I've noticed that regular walking and stretching afterward seems to decrease the frequency, for some reason. Maybe it's literally "stretching the legs" that helps.

Magnesium oil spray!

Its inexpensive and it really works. It's kind of like a liquid version of epsom salts. I've used it for leg cramps, headache or any muscle pain. I love the stuff! You can get it on amazon or in some health food/vitamin stores.

Where?

I used to suffer from horrible leg cramps. I started eating bananas and stopped drinking diet sodas and not another leg cramp in years :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!