moving to a new country

USA

My primary travel is in the States.
I’m familiar with some parts.
I need a warmer climate. Can’t stand the cold any longer.
Plus I can easily drive back to Canada to visit my family/friends. :)

If someone dropped me in NYC - well with housing - I would be overjoyed.

But obviously you need the heat, where are you thinking?

Your responses come off as very rude. I'm not sure why you're so set on arguing every point she makes.

BadPinkTink was responding to this:

So giving examples of people retiring to other countries (regardless of where they may be from) was relevant to the conversation. (And, I would consider snowbirds who own a house in FL that they live in at least 50% of the year to also be residents of that place.)

She explicitly stated that it's easier for EU citizens to move from country to country so she's definitely aware of that fact, but that its still possible for others. I don't know why it being easier for EU citizens automatically nullifies any other suggestion or example she gives. There are plenty of Americans who retire to places all over the world.

It was clear to me why Sir Duff's response came. Did you miss the it is just a frame of mind post? After Sir Duff simply shared facts & personal experiences.

I should tell my friends who were denied access to Canada they needed to be more positive thinkers and voila all is well. Heck I have many countries I need to manifest my way in.
Sorry I'm Canadian, could not quell the sarcasm. It is a birthright.

Last edited:
Florida for sure.
I really have a lot of great childhood memories there. :)

So very nosy of me, but is your family excited as well?

And are you seriously researching, or daydreaming?
But I would guess if you are thinking about it in eighty degrees, it is probably a very serious consideration. Laughing.

Last edited:

This is a fun thought experiment, OP. Thanks for posting this.

If I could go anywhere and there were no barriers to my moving there:
1) Japan
2) New Zealand
3) Italy
4) Portugal

This is a fun thought experiment, OP. Thanks for posting this.

If I could go anywhere and there were no barriers to my moving there:
1) Japan
2) New Zealand
3) Italy
4) Portugal

I have lived in Japan. What is wonderful , like the States (and of course many other very fortunate countries), is that it can be a completely different climate & experience in one country.

OK so yeah IRL there are varying degrees of difficulty in moving to a different country, depending on if you are trying to get new citizenship or just going as an ex-pat, where you're going to, where you're from, your wealth, if you need a work visa, etc. And many aren't inclined to jump over those hurdles regardless of difficulty because they don't want to move countries anyway.

But this is just a hypothetical. You can't stay in your current country. There are no barriers to moving wherever you want to go. Where do you go? :)
Having to move would be a tough one because there's really nowhere else on earth I've ever considered living, or would want to. My heart goes out to the waves of Syrian, Afghani and most recently, Ukrainian refugees forced to flee to Canada from their war-torn countries, when most would have preferred to stay (and live in peace).

Playing the game, if I had to go, I've known several people who have done pretty well in Belize and Mexico - for a time. Maybe I'd try one of those? All of them came home eventually though and so would I!

I'd like to think I would enjoy the island life but I've wondered if too steady of a climate wouldn't be for me. I enjoy the four seasons I get where I live even if they don't all come at the right time. There's so many islands out there but starting closer to home might be easier and realistic. So parts of the Caribbean maybe? The US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are all territories of the U.S. so I'd exclude them too. Hmm not sure I could pinpoint an exact island at this point although to say Jamaica no, St Lucia hmm I doubt it.

Do either if you have grandparents born in Ireland? As they have a program that pretty well grants you citizenship. I have spent years telling myself I would apply as both my grandparents were born there, I need to get on it.
Sadly, no. Ancestors from Sweden, Denmark, Norway, France, Germany, England, Wales.

Last edited:
I’d move to Canada if my job took me there. Or Ireland. Or anywhere in UK. I am a hockey and soccer/football nut so would hit the ground running (well, skating or dribbling) culturally.

So very nosy of me, but is your family excited as well?

And are you seriously researching, or daydreaming?
But I would guess if you are thinking about it in eighty degrees, it is probably a very serious consideration. Laughing.
No. Not at all. Only if I get kicked out of Canada. :teeth:
We did recently consider buying a condo in Florida, since we travel there frequently, but I doubt if we will.

My dream would be somewhere in USA. Massachusetts would be my top pick (as a theme park person I'd love to say Florida but there is no way I could handle Florida in the summer).

I also like the idea of living in and exploring Canada.

I'm in Scotland so it's funny seeing so many people say they'd like to come here - country swaps needs to become a thing!

My dream would be somewhere in USA. Massachusetts would be my top pick (as a theme park person I'd love to say Florida but there is no way I could handle Florida in the summer).

I also like the idea of living in and exploring Canada.

I'm in Scotland so it's funny seeing so many people say they'd like to come here - country swaps needs to become a thing!
I would consider a swap with you! I think you’d like it here! (MA) And I think I’d like it there! (Scotland)

So giving examples of people retiring to other countries (regardless of where they may be from) was relevant to the conversation. (And, I would consider snowbirds who own a house in FL that they live in at least 50% of the year to also be residents of that place.)
In the original question it was about becoming a citizen of another country. A snowbird may have dual citizenship at times but I'm not certain how frequent that is. Snow birds aren't moving to another country, it's a temporary residency. You don't talk about moving from Maine down to FL, you talk about spending the winters in FL. You don't talk about moving from Canada to FL you talk about spending the winters there. It's a temporary spot not at all like a permanent idea of actually moving.

While it wasn't explicitly stated there are two things: dual citizenship and giving up your own home citizenship. For dual citizenship recognition of that depends on country to country and your original citizenship matters very much there. As for the U.S. you still pay taxes if you're a U.S. citizen so to avoid that you would have to renounce the U.S. part.

I think leebee was honest in her thinking about her age and status in regards to desirability of her in particular compared to someone else in the viability of another country wanting her. I think it may mean looking at specific countries. It's probably not something many people consider when wistful thinking about moving to another country and living there.

In the EU moving from country to country is like moving state to state in the U.S. so it may seem easier and it's not surprising how BadPinkTink responded because in her first post (before Leebee's) she mentioned how freely one could move around, hop on a plane and just get a job in a different country. That's similar to how the states work (excluding talk of financials with the cost of plane ticket, lodging, etc). While BadPinkTink may be aware of how things work in the EU that isn't indicative of how the process works for one who lives outside of the EU and I think that may be where the scuffle occurred. Wishful positive thinking doesn't absolve the practical realities out there when moving from country to country.

I have lived in Japan. What is wonderful , like the States (and of course many other very fortunate countries), is that it can be a completely different climate & experience in one country.
Ever since my husband visited Japan for work he's been talking about going back as a trip for us. While we haven't done that yet I catch him every now and then watching the Japanese channel we have. There's a lot of great info on there. He still talks about all the vending machines he saw which is such a small minute thing in terms of Japan but just something that caught his attention a lot. I'm envious of a few of our DISer friends. They plan to go visit Tokyo sight see and then do the parks.

We're planning a Greece trip next year for us.

Of course none of this is about moving to another country but your comment made me think of how my husband mentions wanting to go back to Japan.

Unfortunately, I'm 66, only speak English, married, and not wealthy, so we don't really qualify to leave this country. Nobody wants old people who are going to retire soon instead of add to their culture and economy.

Sure you could! I know a older couple - she has RA & on disability, he's retired and they made the move from the US to Ireland. They had very little income, but a great desire to "get back there" as they had visited several times. She only spoke English, he had a little bit of French.

Forgive me for asking, but what do you mean by the bolded (by me) above? "So we don't really qualify to leave this country". I'm genuinely intrigued by this, what qualifications do you need to meet to leave? I might have missed something - you are in the US, right? Or Canada?

I'm not sure - at this point in life I'd say the Abacos. But - I haven't visited enough other countries to make a decision. I really liked the Netherlands, too.

Not really sure where I would move to. Most likely Germany since I had lived there for 2 years and I have an intermediate German speaking/reading/writing level.

since my husband visited Japan for work he's been talking about going back as a trip for us. While we haven't done that yet I catch him every now and then watching the Japanese channel we have. There's a lot of great info on there. He still talks about all the vending machines he saw which is such a small minute thing in terms of Japan but just something that caught his attention a lot. I'm envious of a few of our DISer friends. They plan to go visit Tokyo sight see and then do the parks.

We're planning a Greece trip next year for us.

Of course none of this is about moving to another country but your comment made me think of how my husband mentions wanting to go back to Japan.
Is your husband my long lost twin? I'm the same way. I went for 2 weeks and I have been wanting go back ever since. The vending machine comment is so funny to me because I noticed that too. There are vending machines EVERYWHERE and they're not just for snacks or beverages. I saw a few for ramen, cigarettes, plush toys (Pokemon mostly) and even underwear. I remember the first full day I was there, I felt like I was in the movie Lost in Translation LOL the culture shock was immense. My sister wants to go so badly so once Japan opens for tourism again and I save up some money, I plan on going with her.

Not really sure where I would move to. Most likely Germany since I had lived there for 2 years and I have an intermediate German speaking/reading/writing level.

Is your husband my long lost twin? I'm the same way. I went for 2 weeks and I have been wanting go back ever since. The vending machine comment is so funny to me because I noticed that too. There are vending machines EVERYWHERE and they're not just for snacks or beverages. I saw a few for ramen, cigarettes, plush toys (Pokemon mostly) and even underwear. I remember the first full day I was there, I felt like I was in the movie Lost in Translation LOL the culture shock was immense. My sister wants to go so badly so once Japan opens for tourism again and I save up some money, I plan on going with her.
lol maybe so!

He also described it as a culture shock of sorts. All the things you could get and he excitedly told me all the random stuff. It's like an art form there IMO and so unlike our boring vending machines here. I mean I thought a cupcake vending machine was neat but that's nothing there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter