• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

moving to a new country

jalapeno_pretzel

DIS Veteran
I'm curious what places appeal to others the most and why - If you had to choose a new country to move to, where would you go? Like for some reason you have to leave the country where you are currently a citizen and you are allowed to become a citizen of any other country in the world that you choose.

My choices in order would be -
New Zealand
Iceland
Norway
Finland
Ireland

I've only been to one of those, but in general, I think I would prefer a cooler climate and not a very densely populated area, with lots of natural scenery.

USA

My primary travel is in the States.
I’m familiar with some parts.
I need a warmer climate. Can’t stand the cold any longer.
Plus I can easily drive back to Canada to visit my family/friends. :)

As an Irish citizen and a member of The European Union, we can move to any country in the EU very easily. We can just get on a plane, register for tax in the new country and just get a job and somewhere to live.
I lived in Munich, Edinburgh and London.

Also you don't have to become a citizen to move to another country. You can get work visa's or permanent residency visa's and still retain your citizenship of your home country.

I moved to Germany with friends. At the time I knew I wanted to move somewhere different, but I didnt know where. I had a friend who lived in Munich so it was an easy choice to make, as I had a base for the first few weeks while I got a job and found my own place.

I moved from Munich to Edinburgh, because I wanted to be in an English speaking country but I didnt want to go back to Ireland. I randomly choose Edinburgh as I had never been there..

I then moved back to Ireland for a few years and then moved to London. My sister was moving and it was a great opportunity to take her flat.

Im now back in Ireland again, but maybe in a few years I'll move again, who knows :)

In order
Australia
New Zealand
Ireland
Scotland

In a better world, and in a more peaceful time--Egypt (just for it's history)

Realistically, Canada. I could live further south than I do now, and easily go back and forth to the States to visit family. In a perfect world, I'd be part of the Paris ex-pat community.
Unfortunately, I'm 66, only speak English, married, and not wealthy, so we don't really qualify to leave this country. Nobody wants old people who are going to retire soon instead of add to their culture and economy.

Unfortunately, I'm 66, only speak English, married, and not wealthy, so we don't really qualify to leave this country. Nobody wants old people who are going to retire soon instead of add to their culture and economy.

Thats not true. In Europe, well I know its easy to move from country to country, but huge amounts of people retire to different countries. My sisters inlaws moved from England to France when they retired, they were still UK citizens and got their UK pensions sent to their French bank accounts.

Theres huge UK / Irish expat communities in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Turkey, so many people retire to warmer counties.

Thats a big misconception about moving to a different country, look at how many Canadian Snowbirds are in Florida for example.

I would love to try something in the UK, Australia, or New Zealand.

I've always had an interest in Portugal and the Azores islands, but I've never looked at the hard facts when it comes to what it takes to live there. I would also love Crete, Greece, and Barcelona, Spain.

Canada would be easy, though I'd like to take a look at Vancouver since I've only seen Toronto thus far. From photos, Vancouver looks beautiful.

Thats not true. In Europe, well I know its easy to move from country to country, but huge amounts of people retire to different countries. My sisters inlaws moved from England to France when they retired, they were still UK citizens and got their UK pensions sent to their French bank accounts.

Theres huge UK / Irish expat communities in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Turkey, so many people retire to warmer counties.

Thats a big misconception about moving to a different country, look at how many Canadian Snowbirds are in Florida for example.

By definition, Snowbirds haven't moved to the US - they "winter" there. Also, very different for someone in the EU to move to another EU country then for someone from the US (as the PP is) to move to another country. Not impossible, of course, much more difficult.

By definition, Snowbirds haven't moved to the US - they "winter" there. Also, very different for someone in the EU to move to another EU country then for someone from the US (as the PP is) to move to another country. Not impossible, of course, much more difficult.
maybe, its its a frame of mind and thought process. Say something long enough and you start to believe it. Keep finding negatives about why you cant move to a different country and it will never happen.

I just gave the example of people retiring to Spain to show that people in their 60's do move to a different country, that age should not be a barrier.

Mostly the English speaking countries would appeal to me. I did live in Germany for 13 years and could live there or in Austria or Switzerland (if they would let me in). I have family in South Africa and have visited and could get by there.

OK so yeah IRL there are varying degrees of difficulty in moving to a different country, depending on if you are trying to get new citizenship or just going as an ex-pat, where you're going to, where you're from, your wealth, if you need a work visa, etc. And many aren't inclined to jump over those hurdles regardless of difficulty because they don't want to move countries anyway.

But this is just a hypothetical. You can't stay in your current country. There are no barriers to moving wherever you want to go. Where do you go? :)

Probably somewhere in Scandinavia, probably Sweden. Great social security systems especially parental leave, good school systems, beautiful nature, laid back people and Scandinavian countries rank high on the scale of happiest people in the world.

Plus Swedish is closely related to my native language Dutch, especially the Northern dialects, so learning the language should be doable.

maybe, its its a frame of mind and thought process. Say something long enough and you start to believe it. Keep finding negatives about why you cant move to a different country and it will never happen.

I just gave the example of people retiring to Spain to show that people in their 60's do move to a different country, that age should not be a barrier.

Or, maybe, you don't actually know everything and don't know anything about the PP's situation. As I said, moving between EU countries is far easier than most other moves, so your example does nothing to prove that age wouldn't be a barrier for the PP.

Somewhere in the Andalucia region in Spain. Sevilla and Granada are the current favorites.

Australia, because I have family there. It would be easier for me to get a work and travel visa because I am half Australian.

Or, maybe, you don't actually know everything and don't know anything about the PP's situation. As I said, moving between EU countries is far easier than most other moves, so your example does nothing to prove that age wouldn't be a barrier for the PP.
Your responses come off as very rude. I'm not sure why you're so set on arguing every point she makes.

BadPinkTink was responding to this:
Nobody wants old people who are going to retire soon instead of add to their culture and economy.
So giving examples of people retiring to other countries (regardless of where they may be from) was relevant to the conversation. (And, I would consider snowbirds who own a house in FL that they live in at least 50% of the year to also be residents of that place.)

She explicitly stated that it's easier for EU citizens to move from country to country so she's definitely aware of that fact, but that its still possible for others. I don't know why it being easier for EU citizens automatically nullifies any other suggestion or example she gives. There are plenty of Americans who retire to places all over the world.

A dream would come true if I could live in the USA. But being from Germany that will mostly not happen. Actually we really consider moving to some European part in the Carribbean.

I'm curious what places appeal to others the most and why - If you had to choose a new country to move to, where would you go? Like for some reason you have to leave the country where you are currently a citizen and you are allowed to become a citizen of any other country in the world that you choose.

My choices in order would be -
New Zealand
Iceland
Norway
Finland
Ireland

I've only been to one of those, but in general, I think I would prefer a cooler climate and not a very densely populated area, with lots of natural scenery.

Ireland
Scotland
New Zealand
Norway/Sweden/Finland

Haven't been to any of them, but I want to go.

Do either if you have grandparents born in Ireland? As they have a program that pretty well grants you citizenship. I have spent years telling myself I would apply as both my grandparents were born there, I need to get on it.

Realistically, Canada. I could live further south than I do now, and easily go back and forth to the States to visit family. In a perfect world, I'd be part of the Paris ex-pat community.

Canada has a very frustrating system. I know four people - I of course probably know tons more over the years. I just mean intimate conversations, not acquaintances
- who have applied & have shared how exasperating the entire process was for them. Especially the lack of information and clarity. Not saying not to of course, just sharing that the process seems harder than vice versa.

I would love to try something in the UK, Australia, or New Zealand.

I've always had an interest in Portugal and the Azores islands, but I've never looked at the hard facts when it comes to what it takes to live there. I would also love Crete, Greece, and Barcelona, Spain.

Canada would be easy, though I'd like to take a look at Vancouver since I've only seen Toronto thus far. From photos, Vancouver looks beautiful.

Vancouver is breathtakingly beautiful. Totally geared to being out and about in nature, even downtown. Sometimes when visiting I am overwhelmed by its beauty. As in taking it in & sighing in the moment. You can walk anywhere downtown & take boats for daily transportation. Can't get better than that.

However, it has intense drug issues & a rainy climate. The rain is condensed in the colder months, with the summer being more sunny.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter