Mosquitoes at AKL Jambo....

nasmith

DIS Veteran
(Also posted to DVC resorts page)

I have been going to AKL since the resort opened, - and this is the first time I have had this problem.

We just got back from a few days ( May 2022) and there are mosquitoes around the pool enclosure!! I was bitten (at least ) 6 times during a 3-minute walk around the enclosure at Jambo House looking for the "Heritage Scavenger Hunt." (lame- don't bother). Bitten at least once on the walkway to Mara from the resort.

I know there are animals to think about at AKL, but Mosquitoes carry disease, plus there is the fact that I had some very irritating itchiness for the rest of my trip (and still do here at home). I hate mosquitoes.

I've reported this - hopefully it gets taken care of.

Disney usually has impeccable mosquito control--unlike the rest of Florida. Bats are particularly helpful at Disney. I'm not sure why it would get that out of control at this particular resort. I've been in August a multitude of times, although not AKL--rarely bitten. I have never needed bug repellent.

Completed a starlight safari at dusk this past week and no bites to report on the savanna!

Interesting - I always was amazed at how mosquitos never seemed to be a problem at WDW, and now I see this. We have always been there in the Spring and Summer months, so peak time for these insects. Hard not to think of this as yet another thing that is declining in quality at WDW.

We stayed at AKL two weeks ago, one morning we received a call that they needed access to our balcony for pest control. A problem had been reported that bees were in the area. I had been sitting on the balcony many times, did not see one bee or bug. I believe they do the best job they can do.

Well now I’m jealous of everyone who doesn’t have to lather up the bug spray every time they step a foot outside their WDW rooms 😆 If I don’t have bug spray on outside anywhere at WDW I will be bitten. Heck, if I fail to re-apply at the 6 hour mark I will be bitten by the 7th hour (happened at AK just last week 🤦🏻‍♀️).

If there's a mosquito within 10 miles of DH they fly straight to him and he gets bit 10 times, 5 min after waking out the door, while I stand next to him and don't get a single bite. But he's yet to be bit in multiple trips a year over the past 10 years. So if you ask me, there are very few mosquito at Disney. Their control works. Is it 100% 100% of the time? I'm sure it's not. It's bugs outside. They will happen sometimes.

I stayed at AKL a few years ago and had the same issue. The cast member said that they don't spray there because of the animals. That is the only place on property that I have ever had issues with mosquitos. That is one of the reasons why I will not stay there again. It gets pretty bad some evenings that you can not even go out to the Mara because there are so many mosquitos.

Got eaten alive at fort wilderness years ago, wasn’t even staying there but visited the ranch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter