Morning power walk - anybody done it?

Skjhjb

DIS Veteran
6am is pretty early, and the 15 minute mile is more of a light jog in my opinion, but I'm very tempted.

I do run, I've done the Disney Virtual 5K series last year and this year (ok 1 done so far) as well as an outdoor 5K for charity. So I'm sure I could keep up.

Just wondered how it was?

We are planning on doing it on the day we leave. It's a non park/travel day.

My biggest worry is that I actually sprained by toe. Hopefully I will be all better by then and it wont be an issue.

I did it a few years ago.

It is more of a jog than a walk, you are right.

I was in pretty good shape when we went and you really have to move it to keep up. Of course, I wanted to be right next to the leader so that I could pepper him with questions. He was very knowledgeable. I had a good time but it's really a work out.

We did it as a family in 2017 - 2 days before our 10k. I'd do it again. I loved being in the park before it opened, it was so peaceful.

It is a great way to start your day. So peaceful going through the park before the crowds get there. A treat for yourself to start your day magically.

6am is pretty early, and the 15 minute mile is more of a light jog in my opinion, but I'm very tempted.

We are staying off site this year but I considered doing it when we stayed at the GC three years ago. The pace really discouraged me though. I'm only 5'1" and even at my fittest my power walk is still a 16 minute mile. To keep up with that pace I would have to do a slow jog and I just can't keep it up for two miles. ):

I've never heard about this but might check it out now. And then I'll have to time myself for a mile to see how bad of an idea it is!

I did it last year and loved it. It's definitely somewhere between a jog and power walking (on the morning we went out, some areas were wet, so they encourage you to slow down a bit in those sections) but I loved seeing the park "getting ready." I had to go solo since my husband wasn't interested, but that's alright; the pace isn't great for chatting.

For reference, I'm not a runner; however at the time I was pretty regularly doing light jogs/power walks.

I know they say for adults only, but do you think they'd let my 10 and 12 year old join? I don't think they'd have trouble keeping up.

Just out of curiosity for anyone who has done this... was there anyone who was having trouble keeping up and how did they handle stragglers?

I've never done this event, but I always stay near the Convention Center and power-walk up Harbor Blvd. every morning. I don't dawdle either! I find it sets the tone for a great day and helps with energy levels. Now, the walk back at night, that's another story. I'd totally do this if I had the opportunity. It sounds cool!

I have done it and enjoyed it. I am not super fit by any means, but I am healthy and exercise a few times a week. I had no difficultly and enjoyed learning the recommended stretches to do before a long day at the park. Most of all, I loved spending my early morning walking through an empty park. It was worth getting up for.

I've never done it mostly because on an average DL day, we walk 9-12 miles so I always figure that I'm getting in plenty of exercise already on the trip. :-)
Yeah, I wouldn't do it on a park day either. It's the same reason I would hesitate to stay at an Epcot resort at WDW. There are no shortage of steps in the parks lol
We thought it would be fun to do it on our travel non-park day and then go pig out at the Storytellers breakfast lol

I had considered doing this our last trip but decided the walking on a park day would be enough. On out upcoming trip I think we're going to have a non-park morning (HP tickets that night) so maybe I would get up and do this. But that 6am time is a killer when you don't need to be at rope drop! I'd love to see DCA empty though. When I ran the half marathon at MK it was pretty awesome to be in the park that early, and I wouldn't even call that empty. We were elbow to elbow until the 7th mile of that race!

Worth it to see the empty park, watch them prep for the day, etc. Not super challenging, just no stopping. Went twice last summer, and you can only go if you're staying on property. Very unique experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter