More point reallocations coming

Oh wonderful. I just loved the last one.:sad2:

Historically reallocations are pretty rare. I really don't expect any for a few years, since they were just changed in 2010 and 2011, none for 2012. Remember the last prior reallocation was in 1996.

What's point reallocation? I'm guessing that it's different then the regular year-to-year adjustments in Points Charts.

A reallocation is a change within the chart that are more than seasonal. Spring Break/Easter adjustments. Many things can happen, weeknights can go up with weekdays going down, or one season may increase while another decreases. Only the overall total of points required to use the entire resort for the year may not change.

Normal year-to-year is just adjusting for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas/NY dates. Otherwise times like August remain the same.

Allocation can mean adjusting the dates / length of the seasons. Moving points from weekends to weekdays, moving points from GV's to studios or any combination of the above. As a law, the grand sum total of points needed to book all units for the entire year must remain the same. And per contract there cannot be more than a 15% change from the previous year.

Since they really narrowed the difference between weekend and weekday with the last 2 reallocations (at least at WDW), it would seem maybe the next one might involve seasonal reallocation.
Or could they possibly increase the differential between weekend/weekday. Maybe they went too far. I know that the other timeshare systems that I'm familiar with all have weekends at least twice the weekday point cost, and it seems to work for them. (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Wyndham).

I suppose they could change the number of rooms per view category (ie bump down marginal MK view or Savannah view) so the charts then look like they go up across the board and premium categories become harder to book...

Since they really narrowed the difference between weekend and weekday with the last 2 reallocations (at least at WDW), it would seem maybe the next one might involve seasonal reallocation.

early dec getting more expensive would not be surprising...

The previous allocations angered me greatly since they were such big changes that really negatively affected me but I am not going to let this one bother me. I must keep telling myself that!

This is exactly what I said to my wife. October F&W seems like another time where I would think increases could be seen.

You guys beat me to it. This is exactly what I thought too. Heck, just recently they changed the "seasons" for the regular resorts. Early December use to be value season and the prices were low. Not now. They are considered regular season so no cheap rates anymore. So I also suspect early December to drop into one of the higher seasons, along with October too. Ugh.

good thing my grandkids are growing up, if they do that, I won't be going in DEC. any longer,I hate the huge crowds, so this is really going to limit my time at the parks. but, if they keep raising ticket prices, I won't be going at all soon. did no one tell them about the economy? also, since Harry Potter opened, Universal has beat them every quarter... I'll be joining that group this time as well. I have 3 days left from a ticket bought two years ago, the rest of our time will be spent else where.
I'll probably go back to Disney once more, but if they keep raising the ticket prices, NOPE. It's already a rip off compared to what it used to be IMO. I love WDW but, not at those prices. I"ll go to the actual countries instead, LOL. I can't wait through, I leave tomorrow for a week!

You guys beat me to it. This is exactly what I thought too. Heck, just recently they changed the "seasons" for the regular resorts. Early December use to be value season and the prices were low. Not now. They are considered regular season so no cheap rates anymore. So I also suspect early December to drop into one of the higher seasons, along with October too. Ugh.

If they go up something else has to come down.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reversed some of the last allocation. It is a good explanation for why they are doing another one so soon.

Normal year-to-year is just adjusting for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas/NY dates. Otherwise times like August remain the same.

Allocation can mean adjusting the dates / length of the seasons. Moving points from weekends to weekdays, moving points from GV's to studios or any combination of the above. As a law, the grand sum total of points needed to book all units for the entire year must remain the same. And per contract there cannot be more than a 15% change from the previous year.
I think it's 20% per year but as was proven last time, that is not really a limitation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reversed some of the last allocation. It is a good explanation for why they are doing another one so soon.
I'm on record from the last time as saying that they clearly over compensated on the weekend/weekday differential and they didn't adjust times they should have like early Dec. I remember speculating on the possible reasons they over compensated. The ones hurt most before were those in the habit of going S-F like myself, I doubt this change will be as drastic as before, however, there's really no reason to complain. They are actually required to make such changes if the demand is unequal enough.

Maybe I'll luck out and one of my more favorite times of year will go down (early may maybe?). I went this past August and couldn't believe how high the rates were for mid August. The resorts were in value season, but the points were very high. I took August off my list (not just the points, but the crowds and heat too), so I would be curious to see how this plays out. I do enjoy the low points of January though! Also love the lower points in October, but fear that one may be on the chopping block.

Maybe I'll luck out and one of my more favorite times of year will go down (early may maybe?). I went this past August and couldn't believe how high the rates were for mid August. The resorts were in value season, but the points were very high. I took August off my list (not just the points, but the crowds and heat too), so I would be curious to see how this plays out. I do enjoy the low points of January though! Also love the lower points in October, but fear that one may be on the chopping block.
I feel it's unlikely to see much if any decrease for Dream or below. What's more likely, from a season to season standpoint, is to see Premier and Magic fall back a little bit and specific Adventure and Choice times to increase or change seasons altogether. I doubt you'll see the first half of August that's currently Magic change to a lower season and the second half of August and May is already appropriate at Dream season. If I had to pick one horse it's be a mild decrease in Premier and maybe Magic with increases that affect the time of F&W and Xmas season. I wouldn't be surprised to see asymmetric changes between resorts in this regard though I don't think it's the most likely option.

There's not much else they can do that would make a full week more or less expensive from a points standpoint. However, they could make each day the same cost including weekends and if they do that, look for some type of minimum stay or priority booking option for a full week.

what about a change in the number of points for each type of villa? It has seemed to be out of proportion for 1 BR to be double studio but since the only timeshare I am familiar with is DVC maybe I am wrong about that.

Just got home tonight from a one week stay and I found the beginning of the week to be much busier than I expected. Monday at the MK was almost as crowded as some of the times I have been there Christmas week although the wait times weren't that bad - just the number of people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter