Moonlight Magic vs Per Point Price?

Mike valera

Earning My Ears
Do you think if Dvc did away with so many Moonlight Magic nights it would lower the per point price?

Since buying direct seems to be pricing out the middle class buyer with the new RIV resort and resorts moving forward with the per point price and new restrictions on resale members and the amount of points to stay there per night is going up .

Since MLM is not as free as dvc would want us to believe for new members who buy direct just to get a blue card. All you are doing is prepaying for the MLM if you compare in to buying resale. And also there is no guarantee you will even get into MLM event!

If they do away with some of the MLM nights do you think it would lower the per point price? Since it has to be a big expense to rent out a theme park for the night and feed everyone. Not saying do away with them just cut back a couple to make it more affordable for new DVC members and it may relax resort blackouts for resale members.

I think that for a long time members hoped that DVC would find a way to add perks for members.

Other than the AP and and a few small other things, there wasn’t a lot. Now, they’ve come out with MM events because they found a way to use them to help market buying direct.

Existing members benefit but the whole reason, IMO, is to make the perks for direct better to increase sales.

To lower the point cost would tell the higher ups and shareholders that Disney has a financial problem. Raising the price does the opposite. Many of the direct offerings are limited and are more for marketing than owner satisfaction. It's all about making the new sale, not dealing with resales. Once a contract is sold, it is sold until it's 50 years are up, guaranteed dues, guaranteed park attendance and money rolling in.

:earsboy: Bill

No, I don't. Moonlight Magic is paid for by DVD's marketing budget. If they weren't doing Moonlight Magic, that money would be spent on other marketing campaigns. Prices wouldn't change.

To lower the point cost would tell the higher ups and shareholders that Disney has a financial problem. Raising the price does the opposite.

Interesting point and it really captures what Disney has been doing recently. If they were to drop the price it would induce panic. If they were to raise the price and then offer an "incentive" it would drive demand. Same thing, different optics.

No, I don't. Moonlight Magic is paid for by DVD's marketing budget. If they weren't doing Moonlight Magic, that money would be spent on other marketing campaigns. Prices wouldn't change.
Would it though? If there's one thing we've seen Disney do time and time again it's cut expenses. I could see this line item being cut and not fully allocated elsewhere.

But bigger picture, there's something I don't really get. Sure, some people buy direct because they want access to Moonlight Magic, that makes sense. But I don't know how savvy the average DVC buyer is that they even know about or appreciate MM prior to their purchase. The event itself is open only to people who have already bought and given that, one could make the argument that it is not a very effective marketing tool. If it were truly a marketing tool then the event itself would be targeted towards prospects and not those who already bought.

And finally, let's not forget that most MM events take place on random Tuesdays during slow times. Not exactly easy to get to for the majority.

But bigger picture, there's something I don't really get. Sure, some people buy direct because they want access to Moonlight Magic, that makes sense. But I don't know how savvy the average DVC buyer is that they even know about or appreciate MM prior to their purchase. The event itself is open only to people who have already bought and given that, one could make the argument that it is not a very effective marketing tool. If it were truly a marketing tool then the event itself would be targeted towards prospects and not those who already bought.

And finally, let's not forget that most MM events take place on random Tuesdays during slow times. Not exactly easy to get to for the majority.

IMO it's a talking point and tool for the sales presentation just like all of the other perks. Adding existing owners makes most feel special and that does result in additional direct sales. They are scheduled during slower park times because DVD can get the park for a reduced price.

Do you think if Dvc did away with so many Moonlight Magic nights it would lower the per point price?

? MM is pretty new. They added it in. Prices were going up even before it existed.

If it were truly a marketing tool then the event itself would be targeted towards prospects and not those who already bought.

I brought my cousin to one of the first. It impressed her a lot. If I can get in for AK coming up I’ll be bringing her family, too. It’ll be an amazing marketing tool if it convinces them.

MM makes owners happy. Happy owners tell friends and family.

I brought my cousin to one of the first. It impressed her a lot. If I can get in for AK coming up I’ll be bringing her family, too. It’ll be an amazing marketing tool if it convinces them.

MM makes owners happy. Happy owners tell friends and family.
True. But that's a little too six degrees of separation for me. :)

The event itself is open only to people who have already bought and given that, one could make the argument that it is not a very effective marketing tool. If it were truly a marketing tool then the event itself would be targeted towards prospects and not those who already bought.
Because prospective buyers likely imagine the MM events to be more awesome than they actually are. Perhaps similar to paid Halloween parties? ;)

We attended two tours (Aulani and WDW) last year. Both sales guides highlighted "MM and more member events to come" as key direct purchase benefits.

Because prospective buyers likely imagine the MM events to be more awesome than they actually are.

This is absolutely true. The current direct marketing is based on FOMO - both MM, and "future resorts!!11111!!!!" I am seeing it work on some people.

This is absolutely true. The current direct marketing is based on FOMO - both MM, and "future resorts!!11111!!!!" I am seeing it work on some people.
Immediately afterwards they’re asked to sign the contract stating explicitly that there is no guarantee of perks or future resorts.

Womp Womp

Yeah, but I'm not sure they either read or believe it.
Truth. I’ll go a step further and wager that most of us on these boards (among the most informed buyers among Disney timeshare owners) never read the POS when we bought (or even saw it if buying via resale).

And for those who did, raise your hand if you believed that it’s a real possibility that Disney could raze MK, the monorail system; Grand Floridian hotel, Contemporary, or Polynesian resort; leave your timeshare standing on a barren plot of land, and still legally collect your dues each year until RTU ends.

But clear as day, those are the terms we all bought into among many others. I read that and for a bit felt pretty confident that was just legalese... and then 2019 done kicked me square in the head.

Truth. I’ll go a step further and wager that most of us on these boards (among the most informed buyers among Disney timeshare owners) never read the POS when we bought (or even saw it if buying via resale).
True for this resale buyer. To be sure, I tried to get all the documents I could, but these seem tough to obtain.

Is there a source for these documents?

And for those who did, raise your hand if you believed that it’s a real possibility that Disney could raze MK, the monorail system; Grand Floridian hotel, Contemporary, or Polynesian resort; leave your timeshare standing on a barren plot of land, and still legally collect your dues each year until RTU ends.

✋

Not that I think it is likely, but the thought did cross my mind as a potential risk before buying.

True for this resale buyer. To be sure, I tried to get all the documents I could, but these seem tough to obtain.

Is there a source for these documents?
DVC provides a book(the POS)which is made up of many documents which are filed with the Comptroller. Not sure if they will send you a copy but I'd call and ask.

There has to be a limit to how many dvc resorts there are/will be at WDW. When they hit that limit I bet DVC stop the Moonlight Magic events because they were only designed to add more direct buyers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!