Monsieur Paul - formerly known as Bistro de Paris

Your food reviews are a delight to read. I so enjoyed the food primer for us less then foodies. please never stop reviewing the wondrful restaurnts you select for your dining adventures. Once again You are pure delight when posting your experiences.

Thank You
Patty
Patty - you are too kind - but to you and all the commenters, thanks. There is a fair amount of effort that goes into posting and sometimes it can be discouraging to realize that, with number of posters on the DIS these days, that a post like this can be on page 3 within hours, and lost from view!!!

I do have only one other shot of the interior, taken with available light, therefore, a little pixelated (blurry).

p1327251946-3.jpg

I did not take too many pictures, because:
1. I was trying to be relatively unobtrusive and not overly-flash-happy, since I actually had a request (one time only) from another patron (different restaurant, this year) to stop taking pictures - and I didn't want to risk being cut off from taking the food pictures.
2. There is not that much different in the dining room (can't speak for the kitchen) - it is still the same space, layout, windows - yes, the colors, fixtures are different, but I found the changes relatively subtle, compared to what a "complete rehab" can sometimes mean.

Thank you very much for this additional information! I totally understand wanting to be unobtrusive, and especially in a quieter restaurant where obnoxiously taking photos would be quite noticeable. Nevertheless, the one photo and your thoughts on it being a subtler renovation helps a lot! :goodvibes

It occurred to me that some context might be in order....

I do not consider myself a foodie, per se (no pun intended; I wish); more specifically, I do not consider myself qualified to be a foodie. I like to cook, I like to eat, I like Disney, I worked as a waitress in fine dining for a couple of years (back in the day), and I read a lot - hence, over the course of 20 years, I have some perspective on what I like to eat, when at Disney. I also like to take pictures (worth a thousand words, easily). Toward that end, I hope everyone finds these posts useful.

I am noting this caveat, because I realize there is a ton of creative, culinary work being done that I am NOT actively scheduling, experiencing, or reporting on beyond the Disney borders. (E.g, Grant Achatz interview on youtube - Nov 27, 2012 - thanks to DIS FB poster - very interesting). I'm OK with that - there are only so many hours and dollars - but I have this inclination to acknowledge the considerable limits of my capabilities in this regard.

On the other hand, ask me anything about karate or managing global IT projects and I feel pretty confident that I am an expert....

... while I was reflecting on the experience, while falling asleep

MP is kind of unique in that it is the only "fine dining" restaurant that has to use "kids" from the exchange program to serve the customers. Most of the signature restaurants have a permanent staff of long term servers (Jack and Sherry at VnA, Izzie at AP, several good ones at CG) who come up through the Disney ranks, earning those positions over time. But, World Showcase, by design, brings in the equivalent of exchange students for these positions.

This is not much of an issue at Le Cellier, because it is basically a steakhouse (with good steaks - not taking anything away from its busines model), and service expectations for a steakhouse can be relatively easily met. ("I speak English, it's protein." I'm simplifying, for entertainment value.)

But to take young adults, with limited service experience, limited cuisine training, different primary langauge - train them to be skilled representatives of the establishment in short order - only to have to turn over that investment every 9-12-18 months - that would be a huge challenge for me. More accurately, it WAS a challenge for me, because, back in those restaurant days mentioned in the post directly above, I would be asked to train the new hires....

That said, the very steady, very experienced management team is always circulating on the floor to assist in making your dining experience what it needs to be.

p.s. I suppose it could be true at Tutto, but I have not eaten there lately.

I am really enjoying reading your posts and am really excited about trying MP this Friday night.

P.S. - I have been at Remy on both the Dream and the Fantasy and recall men's jackets hanging behind the hostess stand. Did they change this? I hope not. It was very convenient for my DH who will bypass fine dining if he has to pack a jacket.

Thank you very much for this additional information! I totally understand wanting to be unobtrusive, and especially in a quieter restaurant where obnoxiously taking photos would be quite noticeable. Nevertheless, the one photo and your thoughts on it being a subtler renovation helps a lot! :goodvibes
I suspect the interior is not entirely complete (in looking at BnP pictures, such near-term enhancements could include such things as curtains, wall hangings, table lamps) - but, not knowing what the final design is intended to be, I appreciated what was there and will consider anything new that shows up a bonus!

I am really enjoying reading your posts and am really excited about trying MP this Friday night.

P.S. - I have been at Remy on both the Dream and the Fantasy and recall men's jackets hanging behind the hostess stand. Did they change this? I hope not. It was very convenient for my DH who will bypass fine dining if he has to pack a jacket.
Enjoy your meal Friday. Introduce yourself to the managers early in the meal - let them know any expectations you have (even if your only expectation is an opened-ended "great meal"), so that they can assist in making sure they are met, while operations are still being worked out - besides, they are very nice, and enjoy the social engagement part as much as we do!

Thanks for the tip about Remy's jacket-to-borrow - the DCL reservation agent said there was no room to store jackets for this purpose (last March) - maybe they changed (adapted to customer need), maybe it was always the case and she did not know. Based on this, we will probably not pack. I'll need 3 - did they have more than one or two?

Thank you so much for the pictures and for your initial impressions. If you can post some shots of that menu that happened to come back to the room with you, it would be wonderful too..........our ADRs were made for our May trip a few weeks ago, and actual menu shots would help me decide whether to try to talk DH into dropping one of our current dinners for this one instead.

Thanx for the pix of the dining area - glad to see things haven't changed much!

We always loved the coziness of BdP and it seems that it still retains the charm for "mature diners". I was a bit leary about what might happen when they closed for reno to try and be more "family friendly". Then again, the menu and prices may still keep them away in spite of their attempts to woo them, lol!

Thank you for your review & pics! If you are able to post menu pictures at a later date, I would love to see them.

I had been to BdP for kid free date nights in previous years. I'll have to if we can manage another one next trip, at MP. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Thanks for the tip about Remy's jacket-to-borrow - the DCL reservation agent said there was no room to store jackets for this purpose (last March) - maybe they changed (adapted to customer need), maybe it was always the case and she did not know. Based on this, we will probably not pack. I'll need 3 - did they have more than one or two?

Yes! They had a number of jackets hanging behind the hostess stand. We were on the Dream in May of 2011 and the Fantasy in March of 2012 and I remember seeing them. Maybe they don't have them anymore? I'll post on the cruise boards and see if anyone has more recent info!

I did ask about the significance / story behind the name change. Briefly, in the kitchen, Paul Bocuse = "Chef Paul," but outside the kitchen, as a sign of respect, he is called "Monsieur Paul."

It really is fairly simple - like "-san" in the Japanese culture (my analogy, not theirs). I don't think the French know how intimidated Americans are pronouncing (much less spelling) unfamiliar words that are not phonetic (even though we have plenty of our own). We'll get used to it. Someday.

Day one - I expect morphing, and tweaking, and spell / grammar check - but most of you are interested in the core elements - dishes, pricing, etc. Please ignore my handwritten comments, as they were not intended for "publication" and were the reason I did not post more quickly. Tomorrow, I will ask for "clean" menus and repost!

Dinner Menu Page #1

p1328744000-4.jpg

Dinner Menu Page #2

p1328743986-4.jpg

Dessert Menu

p1328743992-4.jpg

After Drink Menu

p1328745012-4.jpg

Let me know if any are "unreadable" (as opposed to being "easily readable")

Thanks for the menu! That is really helpful.

So, according to a fellow DIS'er who cruised the Fantasy in October, they offered both jackets and shoes to men dining at Remy and Palo!

Thank you for the 1st glimpse into MP's, I was glad to see the other photo of the lamb as the first did look entirely over cooked for my liking.

In the early views of the menu and including the one you featured, it states Ravioli of Escargot! The ones in your photo, which I enjoyed tremendously at F&W this year are not ravioli. Was it a menu change?

Your review make me look forward to eating at MP even more!

Hmmm... How was the wine list?
Did not really evaluate, but requested a copy for posting.
Thank you for the 1st glimpse into MP's, I was glad to see the other photo of the lamb as the first did look entirely over cooked for my liking.

In the early views of the menu and including the one you featured, it states Ravioli of Escargot! The ones in your photo, which I enjoyed tremendously at F&W this year are not ravioli. Was it a menu change?

Your review make me look forward to eating at MP even more!
I'd glad a previous poster asked about the lamb, which prompted me to add the second photo.
The escargot in brioche is an amuse bouche. The Ravioli is an appetizer that I did not order (and have no picture).
Hope you get there soon!
Wonderful review - thanks so much :goodvibes
You're welcome - will check out the links in your signature!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!