Monorail hours changing to 1 hour after REGULAR park close...

We've been visiting WDW for 17 years now. I can't remember the monorail breaking down as much as it has in the past year. It used to be rare to see or even hear about a monorail breakdown. During our June trip we saw the tow and rescue device attempting to pull the monorail to safety twice. We also saw the monorail stations closed one other time. In April we witnessed two other occassions when the resort monorail was OOS (out of service). Cast Members were providing other alternatves to the Magic Kingdom like the boats.

Considering what's been going on lately I feel this maintenance is needed. I don't pretend to know what the problem with the monorail system is, but it's easy to summize its related to wear and tear. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I'm sure whatever is wrong they'll get it fixed.

I couldn't agree more about the recent track record of the monorail. It's almost a guarantee that we'll witness some kind of monorail problem on every trip, and we go three times a year

Wear and tear is a good guess, I'm sure, if you think about the incrediblie usage that those monorails have to endure.

The only statement of yours that I hesitate to agree with is your final one. I'm losing more and more faith in Disney when it comes to issues such as these.

Like OK, I don't mind them shutting down the monorails for maintenance. I can understand all the uproar. But this better not be permanent. If it is, I will be ticked. I expect Disney transportation to be up and running. I expect the monorail to be working when I want to use it. I'm a guest at WDW - it's unspoken Disney World law that the monorail has to run when you want it to.

The monorail is iconic. Walt created the theme park. And the monorail is a major part of both Magic Kingdom's themes. As a child, riding the monorail is one of my best memories.

Bombardier, the builder of the monorail trains is alive and well. Although the trains cost $3.5 million each, it's not "out-dated technology".

Disney, if you keep chipping away at things like monorail service, park/resort specific souvenirs, and Epcot's original educational vision, you soon will be just another amusement park.

IMHO the monorail system should be at least maintained if not upgraded. Or better yet, let's see a more futuristic type of travel.

Walt would be proud.

Zulemara - Quick question. What happens to people that need to get to the TTC and fairy service has been interruped due to weather concerns?

I am not Zulemara but they would put buses into service to go from MK to the TTC. They do that when the monorail is down or expected high crowds.

I feel that Disney knows it needs to replace its monorails. They are having a slew of issues with them as they get older. I also think that they want to delay replacing them for as long as possible. Cutting any of transportation to the MK main gate for a length of time will be severely detrimental. It may be as if they are acting like an ostrich and sticking its head in the sand hoping if they ignore it, it will disappear or somehow get better. Or trying to push off the extreme cost to a fiscal year that doesn't include the revamping of Fantasyland?

I am not Zulemara but they would put buses into service to go from MK to the TTC. They do that when the monorail is down or expected high crowds.

Thanks, however that brings up a statement question. Can they easily add buses into service like that? You would think they have to pull buses off certain routes in order to do that and that will effect service elsewhere. I doubt they have drivers on call.

Epcot Monorail will operate one hour after regular park close.

I thought the Disney transportation always operated until one hour after closing. Or, is it longer?

My big fear was taking too long to walk out of World Showcase, getting to the front gate, and not having a bus to take me back to my resort. What would happen to me?!
You would take a taxi, just like any time you got there too late to catch a bus.

Sayhello

Thanks, however that brings up a statement question. Can they easily add buses into service like that? You would think they have to pull buses off certain routes in order to do that and that will effect service elsewhere. I doubt they have drivers on call.

yes it takes time and it does ultimately cause issues with other locations depending on the time of day. If it's late, they will force extend drivers when the other parks are closed and deal with it that way. There is no perfect solution to it all. The only good thing is when Ferries are down, it's usually not terribly long. They only shut down due to wind or if the rain is so bad that you can't see across the lake. Being FL, those storms are usually pretty quick to move through.

What this all comes down to, though, is that we are paying for the decisions made in the 90s to constantly increase hours, decrease maintenance, and focus on efficiency over safety. It started with the accident and has been a spiral since then. There was a time when there were no 3hr EMH nights, so it wasn't even an issue. Would you all rather they get rid of EMH? I'm going to bet no, you'd rather deal with riding alternate transportation during those couple hours.

They do have buses standing by. It might take a bit to get them to MK but they can dispatch buses to MK.

yes it takes time and it does ultimately cause issues with other locations depending on the time of day. If it's late, they will force extend drivers when the other parks are closed and deal with it that way. There is no perfect solution to it all. The only good thing is when Ferries are down, it's usually not terribly long. They only shut down due to wind or if the rain is so bad that you can't see across the lake. Being FL, those storms are usually pretty quick to move through.

What this all comes down to, though, is that we are paying for the decisions made in the 90s to constantly increase hours, decrease maintenance, and focus on efficiency over safety. It started with the accident and has been a spiral since then. There was a time when there were no 3hr EMH nights, so it wasn't even an issue. Would you all rather they get rid of EMH? I'm going to bet no, you'd rather deal with riding alternate transportation during those couple hours.

Thanks for the insight zulemara and you are right about the storms usually being quick movers. And of course it's not like this is every night. I doubt it will effect me and my family as we dont' stay at the Seven Seas resorts, but we do prefer the ferries from the TTC.

Guessing this also puts an end to any monorail extension rumors because of how costly we see it is to operate?

There is also a rumor floating around that a couple of months ago, some "suits" were taking measurements on the monorails to add video screens to the passenger cars. I am not sure if that is valid but, I would not put it past WDW management.

There is also a rumor floating around that a couple of months ago, some "suits" were taking measurements on the monorails to add video screens to the passenger cars. I am not sure if that is valid but, I would not put it past WDW management.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing provided it doesn't completely obscure the view from the cars. In the buses they have advertisements and using video screens instead of fixed advertising is more effective.

I think using the screens for a combination of promotion and information (park hours, tips, ect) could be done right. Of course it could also be done wrong. I would hold off judgment on it until I see how it is implemented.

I actually talked to a manager recently and I think what the poster MIGHT have been hearing was discussions about putting a rear facing camera on each end of the monorails along with a viewing screen in cabs 1 and 6, therefore eliminating their current procedures requiring an additional pilot or rear eyes when driving in reverse. Just a hunch on my part, not sure if they are related or not

The monorail news is mentioned on this week's show. Both sides were discussed. I still stand firm with my previous comments. Bottom line: If I'm spending hundreds to stay on the monorail loop, I think the monorail should be available during EMH.

The monorail news is mentioned on this week's show. Both sides were discussed. I still stand firm with my previous comments. Bottom line: If I'm spending hundreds to stay on the monorail loop, I think the monorail should be available during EMH.

ITA. I would be upset. It also effects party nights and what would you do on nights when the parks close earlier and you are staying at the Poly and have a late dinner at California Grill?

Good point. I frequent the really late EMHs (think MK until 3am) and would be one of those people using the monorail if I was staying at one of the resorts on the loop.

I hate to disagree but I think you need to figure out what the "cost" is for the EMH nights not to have a monorail one way. What if taking the bus or boar turns out to be faster?

I hate to disagree but I think you need to figure out what the "cost" is for the EMH nights not to have a monorail one way. What if taking the bus or boar turns out to be faster?

Especially when a monorail breaks down after EMH and you end up getting back to your resort an hour or two later. :rolleyes1

It's no secret that Disney is on the fast track to increase profits. The problem is they decided to reduce maintenance across property to save money, while increasing park hours and hard ticket events. Transportation and attraction malfunctions and increased accidents have been the result.

After the monorail backing accident, Disney replaced their transportation executive and made some safety changes to the monorail. They are also building a spur beam for the monorail tractor which will reduce the time the Guests are stuck on the monorail waiting to be towed back to a platform.

I'm guessing that the new suit has identified problems with the monorail system and Disney has finally agreed to do something about it.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter