Mom & Son Take On Spring Break! 6/1, Updated (final?) August Dining Lineup!

Loved the review of Hacienda! It looks delicious!!! Glad to know we could share the portion as well. :thumbsup2 How cute is the pop corn ice cream!?!

The platter is meant for two but I think 3 or even 4 could share it especially with appetizers.

That view is amazing and that queso looks awesome! Andrew has good taste!

Yes, we were so lucky to get that table! And yes, he does ... the queso is really good!

All caught up with your reviews and I really enjoyed reading about your dining adventures! La Hacienda is one of our absolute favourites too. We always get the La Hacienda platter, it's absolutely delicious! :thumbsup2 Hubby and I both had the chocolate mousse the last time we were there, but I'm very intrigued by that popcorn ice cream, I might just have to try that if it's still on the menu during our fall trip.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I had planned on the mousse but couldn't resist trying the ice cream. It was definitely an interesting dessert. I may try the mousse in August. Hacienda is one of the few repeat restaurants we will be going to!

Enjoying your reviews! Looking forward to more.

Thank you! Unfortunately we are almost done! But more will be coming in August! :thumbsup2

I'm so glad that you had such an awesome meal at La Hacienda! What a great view. Oh darn! No more Botana appetizer. What time was your dinner reservation? We have an 8:15pm on August 27th. :)

Our ADR time was at 7:10 but we were late because of an enourmous FP line at Test Track (which broke down just as we were leaving the building! People were actually slanted in the cars on the outside track!). I think we got there about 7:20 and were seated about 7:30. I would try to get your ADR a bit earlier because the window tables were pretty full when we were seated and no one left. The restaurant was probably about 2/3 full when Illuminations started.

The last day of a Disney trip is always sad. We got up early Tuesday morning, sat & looked at each other for a few minutes. Discussed whether to go spend a couple of hours in the MK or to just go back to sleep. We didn't want to break our "sleep in" tradition this trip so back to sleep we went!

I woke up a bit before Andrew and began reading the bounceback offer. Not having a job, I knew that I should have just put it down. But I didn't. Nope, I called to get price quotes for the 30% room only discountj for the moderate resorts. Woke Andrew and we decided to give Caribbean Beach a try. We will be checking in on August 11th and staying thru the 20th. I know I will make that trip happen.

We left thru room about 11, went to RAC to get our boarding passes and then went to Landscape of Flavors to use our last two credits.

I had the World Flavors Breakfast Platter - scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, Portuguese sausage, bacon and mini naan bread $7.59

Andrew had the Breakfast Sandwich - Naan bread with scrambled egg, slab bacon and cheese sauce $5.99

323_zps2193e1cd.jpg

324_zpsa8810beb.jpg

The platter was something I really wanted to try and I ended up disappointed. The sausage had some type of spice in it that I didn't care for. The potatoes were undercooked. I ended up eating the eggs with the naan.

The only part of Andrew's sandwich I tried was the bacon. It was very thick, smokey and delicious. Much different from the thin bacon I was given. He enjoyed the sandwich very much.

I did some last minute shopping and we hung out waiting for the ME (which was over an hour late! I was freaking out!)

The trip was over. But the usual sadness didn't really settle in as I knew we would be back in August. There will be some serious sadness at the end of that trip!

Up next, a preview of the next, and possibly last, Mom & Son trip...:( :guilty: :sad2:

As I said in the first post, DH wants me to have Mom & Son trip with Andrew in August. It is definitely going to be a bittersweet trip for me. First, I am not sure when we will get back to Disney as Andrew will be going to college in the Fall of 2014. Second and most "upsetting" is that I am fairly sure this will be the last "Mom & Son" trip. I believe that Andrew and I will go to Disney together in the future but at some point he will have a girlfriend and then a family. And although I look forward to those days, I am definitely sad that I will be "losing" my baby. (Dramatic, I know). So I know the trip will be a rough one for me and that there will be many tears upon leaving.

Ok, enough melancholy. As those of you that have followed along know, we love Deluxe Dining both for the prepaid factor and the food factor. That said, this past trip we had a day that we only ate QS so there was no schedule to follow. It was nice to not be racing the clock. Also with DxDDP, we are always fulll so there are many snacks that we have never gotten a chance to try. This will be the trip to fix that!

The plan will be to share most meals ... and probably more appetizers than entrees. I would much rather share 3 or even 4 appetizers than have an entree anyway.

Also, in the past we went to Disney for a long trip in August. Only going once a year, we couldn't resist eating at old favorites. Having the past two long weekend trips allowed us to eat at some of those favorites so in August the plan is to try many new places.

Finally, we all know that I am Queen of dining changes. I really do not want to do that this time. I want to say that my current plan is 90% complete. I am allowing myself one dinner change if something comes up between now & the trip that I cannot resist.

So, where will we being eating? See the next post for the list and my reasoning ...

Ok, here we go ... any and all opinions are welcome & wanted!

We will leaving Saturday, August the 10th but are taking the train (FREE!) so all meals will be on Board!

Scheduled arrival is about 10:30am on Sunday the 11th. Our departure flight is at 7pm on the 20th so we will have most of that day.

Here are my planned restaurants -

Port Royale at Caribbean Beach - upon arrival as I know we will be hungry

Tony's - yes, I know, I know. The food is so-so at best but I really love te restaurant. Plan as of now is to share appetizers and desserts avoiding entrees all together.

Coral Reef - ditto the above. I really like this restaurant and DS and I had a special meal here in 2008. I credit this restaurant with his opening his food palate to trying new things. It is a must for me if this is our last M&S trip.

Restaurant Marrakesh - new for us. Some place I really want to try that I have been afraid of. Andrew isn't thrilled. I assume he will enjoy the belly dancer! ;)

La Hacienda - Andrew's #1 request.

Turf Club at Saratoga Springs - new for us. I grew up in Saratoga and we have never been to the resort. I am curious to try it. Again, the plan is appetizers only (mostly for the buffalo pulled chicken)

Fultons - new for us. This will be for lunch. Since we are learning to like more types of seafood I want to give it a go. Plus I want to eat on the boat!

Yak & Yeti - another Andrew request. Booking the last seating so we can leave AK when the park is closed. Love the wontons!

Nine Dragons - new for us. Another that I have been afraid of. Time to give it a try.

T-REX - new for us. Dinosaurs - enough said. :)

Kimonos - new for us. Our new found love of sushi makes this one a must.

Trails End - new for us. I really want to take a look around Fort Wilderness. Plus I may just wander over to the Chip & Dale Singalong!

Beaches & Cream - new for us. I cannot believe we have never made it to B&C. Not sure if this will be a meal or just ice cream!

50's Prime Time - Andrew is really anti this one. Something is drawing me to it. I s'pose this may change.

Narcoossee's - I initially said no signatures as I don't want to deal with having to go back & change. But again, this one is calling me. I booked it mid week so that we may actually want to head to the room for a rest.

The Plaza - mostly because there isn't anything of real interest to me around the MK. We do enjoy it here but it isn't a must do and we could change our mind and just do QS.

Speaking of QS, there are a few places I want to try: WPE for Breakfast, the sandwiches at Starring Rolls, the new Quinoa Salad and pulled beef sandwich at Tamu Tamu in AK as well as several items around EPCOT. I am not making any ADRS for the 20th and we won't have to catch the ME until about 4pm so this day will be open for QS dining. My feeling is that we will end up in EPCOT as we will be spending the night before in the MK.

So there you have it. I also hope to actually get to do the Characters in Flight balloon ride, go to Splitsville, meet up with Brenda & Em and check out some rides and attractions we have never done - mainly Astro Orbiter, Splash Mountain (we have been chicken) and Tom Sawyer Island.

Thoughts, Comments, Opinions?

Aww, sad that your report is over! I really enjoyed it. I guess I will just have to read your other reports until your next trip! :) I love all the restaurants you have chosen for your August trip. Trust me, your son will love the belly dancer, LOL!

I know how you feel about your next trip possibly being you & your son's last trip alone together. My younger son (he is 17 months younger than my oldest son, LOL) absolutely adores WDW, and he and one of his good friends went on many trips with DH & I, apart from his younger sister and older brother. While the other two like WDW a lot, middle son loves it! I was leery as to whether things would change when he got married. As it turns out, his wife is now more of a Disney nut than all of us!

We've had some awesome trips together. The bonus is that now we get to bring the grandbabies with us in October, a first trip for all four of them! So while you might be sad now, look to the future! Besides, he'll still probably be able to squeeze in a trip or two during his college years. Heck, my nephew managed to come visit me with two of his roommates, squeezing into my Boardwalk Villa room, when I was doing a solo trip back in April of 2011!

I'm in favor of trying new places! On my upcoming trip I switched out La Hacienda for Nine Dragons. I've been to La Hacienda twice and know that I would love it again but I feel it's time to give Nine Dragons a try.

It's just hard to give up a favorite to try something that might not live up to something you know you would love. You're going to have a great trip!

Aww, sad that your report is over! I really enjoyed it. I guess I will just have to read your other reports until your next trip! :) I love all the restaurants you have chosen for your August trip. Trust me, your son will love the belly dancer, LOL!

I know how you feel about your next trip possibly being you & your son's last trip alone together. My younger son (he is 17 months younger than my oldest son, LOL) absolutely adores WDW, and he and one of his good friends went on many trips with DH & I, apart from his younger sister and older brother. While the other two like WDW a lot, middle son loves it! I was leery as to whether things would change when he got married. As it turns out, his wife is now more of a Disney nut than all of us!

We've had some awesome trips together. The bonus is that now we get to bring the grandbabies with us in October, a first trip for all four of them! So while you might be sad now, look to the future! Besides, he'll still probably be able to squeeze in a trip or two during his college years. Heck, my nephew managed to come visit me with two of his roommates, squeezing into my Boardwalk Villa room, when I was doing a solo trip back in April of 2011!

Thank you for your encouragement. I asked Andrew one time what he would do if his future wife didn't like Disney. His response? She wouldn't be my future wife! :rotfl: I hope that is true. And since I only have him, I am really hoping for a granddaughter to spoil down the road!

I'm in favor of trying new places! On my upcoming trip I switched out La Hacienda for Nine Dragons. I've been to La Hacienda twice and know that I would love it again but I feel it's time to give Nine Dragons a try.

It's just hard to give up a favorite to try something that might not live up to something you know you would love. You're going to have a great trip!

Exactly! That is why I am planning The Plaza for the last night. We know it will be a good solid meal. But I am not 100% thrilled with that decision.

I can't give up La Hacienda, especially after our most recent meal. The best I can hope is that we may try a new dish! :)

The plans look awesome!!! CBR is beautiful, one of my favorite resorts! The food court rocks! It's my fav. ;) The resort is just so colorful & the palm trees are everywhere. I feel it's one of the most lush properties next to the Poly, of course. We loved FW's C'n D fire. It was really,really nice & a relaxing thing to do while in Disney. And the fried chicken @ trails end is the bomb!! [we just got the TE to go & sat on the porch, outside, it was wonderful!!!] Woo I'm excited for you guys!!! :woohoo: + the restaurants look great, you actually have so many I wanna try. I have wanted to try Tony's for a long time but people keep scarring me away. I'm excited to see how it goes. They def. have some yummy looking apps!

I loved your reviews and so sad they are over but I look forward to your next ones!

I really want to try Marrakesh too but every time I have it on my list I wind up cancelling it...same thing with Sanaa and I really want to try both of them!

You will enjoy Nine Dragons...our first meal there was not good at all but we gave it a second and third try and now we just love it!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us..I have been following you guys for a long time and its so fun to see your son grow up ;)

Vicki your choices for some new places look great. I know what you mean about the nostalgic choices - even if it is just for you to remember!

I think about the same thing as you since Em will be gone within the next few years. I don't want those moments and of course the trips to end. I know I can spoil grandkids and plan future trips but she's my baby and I don't want time to steal those moments that I treasure so much. I can see that your mother's heart is in the same place.

We are light on dining reservations the first few days of our trip in August when our dates overlap. We arrive on the 17th. We'll have to chat about meeting up!

Loved reading the reviews and can't wait to see some more from your August trip!!

You and your son should continue the tradition of your trips! I'm 25, and my mom and I just took our 3rd trip just the two of us this past January. I take other trips with friends, but I've not outgrown sharing Disney with my mom.

Geez a lot of new restaurants!! They all sound great, I am jealous.

Thanks! I am jealous that your trip is so soon!

The plans look awesome!!! CBR is beautiful, one of my favorite resorts! The food court rocks! It's my fav. ;) The resort is just so colorful & the palm trees are everywhere. I feel it's one of the most lush properties next to the Poly, of course. We loved FW's C'n D fire. It was really,really nice & a relaxing thing to do while in Disney. And the fried chicken @ trails end is the bomb!! [we just got the TE to go & sat on the porch, outside, it was wonderful!!!] Woo I'm excited for you guys!!! :woohoo: + the restaurants look great, you actually have so many I wanna try. I have wanted to try Tony's for a long time but people keep scarring me away. I'm excited to see how it goes. They def. have some yummy looking apps!

Good to know about CBR. Thanks for the info! Yeah, Tony's really needs to step up their game. We have eaten there several times with very mixed results.

I loved your reviews and so sad they are over but I look forward to your next ones!

I really want to try Marrakesh too but every time I have it on my list I wind up cancelling it...same thing with Sanaa and I really want to try both of them!

You will enjoy Nine Dragons...our first meal there was not good at all but we gave it a second and third try and now we just love it!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us..I have been following you guys for a long time and its so fun to see your son grow up ;)

I have been the same way with Marrakesh. I am determined not to cancel it this trip. Yes, you & I "met" here on the Boards during my first Mom & Son review! :thumbsup2 Where the heck has the time gone?

I remember both of your Nine Dragons review. It seems to be a hit or miss place here on the Dis. Hoping it is a hit for us!

Vicki your choices for some new places look great. I know what you mean about the nostalgic choices - even if it is just for you to remember!

I think about the same thing as you since Em will be gone within the next few years. I don't want those moments and of course the trips to end. I know I can spoil grandkids and plan future trips but she's my baby and I don't want time to steal those moments that I treasure so much. I can see that your mother's heart is in the same place.

We are light on dining reservations the first few days of our trip in August when our dates overlap. We arrive on the 17th. We'll have to chat about meeting up!

Yes, I really want to meet up! Maybe we can coordinate a meal ... or certainly a snack!

Loved reading the reviews and can't wait to see some more from your August trip!!

You and your son should continue the tradition of your trips! I'm 25, and my mom and I just took our 3rd trip just the two of us this past January. I take other trips with friends, but I've not outgrown sharing Disney with my mom.

Thanks! I am thinking/wondering if it may be different with a boy, ya know? I do a lot more with my Mom than DH does with his. As I said, I know we will still get to WDW together, I just feel that this is the last time we will be alone whether it is DH or his future girlfirend/wife. Puts a whole new spin on this trip.

I am playing catch up but your plans look really great :goodvibes
I for one can't wait to hear what you think about Kimonos as I don't think I have ever seen a review and myself and DH love sushi
We are going to try Trails End for the first time on our next trip, we are staying at WL and just adore the FW area - be sure to leave room for s'mores with Chip & Dale :thumbsup2

I am playing catch up but your plans look really great :goodvibes
I for one can't wait to hear what you think about Kimonos as I don't think I have ever seen a review and myself and DH love sushi
We are going to try Trails End for the first time on our next trip, we are staying at WL and just adore the FW area - be sure to leave room for s'mores with Chip & Dale :thumbsup2

Your review of the s'mores singalong is what made me think we should go. I am looking forward to Trails End.

I really want to be sure we get to Kimonos. We have just realized that we like sushi and are bummed that we can't go back to Cali.

Course I have made a couple of changes ... Sci Fi instead of 50's and Le Cellier instead of Hacienda. Hoping to get to Blue Zoo as well. I really want to hit as many new spots as possible.

Thanks for all the reviews! La Hacienda looks delicious. I love Mexican, but I eat it a lot at home, so I haven't been able to persuade myself to check it out yet.

I think your August dining plan sounds good. I went to Trail's End back in December, and it was good! There's a horse drawn wagon ride that we did first, specifically to look at all the Christmas decorations people brought along with them for their campsites, and that was a lot of fun. B&C is always good, of course, and the restaurant decor is really cute. I love breakfast at WPE, especially the breakfast pizza.

Your review of the s'mores singalong is what made me think we should go. I am looking forward to Trails End.

I really want to be sure we get to Kimonos. We have just realized that we like sushi and are bummed that we can't go back to Cali.

Course I have made a couple of changes ... Sci Fi instead of 50's and Le Cellier instead of Hacienda. Hoping to get to Blue Zoo as well. I really want to hit as many new spots as possible.

Don't forget the Kona Island Sushi Bar if you need an emergency fix without a reservation ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter