Moderators/DIS'rs

HeatherPage

<font color=darkcoral>Proud mommy, wife and WDW fa
I'm probably a lone tiny voice amongst the sea of budget posters here, but I was wondering if it would make more sense to have two co-budget boards. One board for saving money throughout the year before your Disney trips and one board for saving money while you were actually at Disney? Any opinions? Thanks for your time :)

you are not alone-i totaly agree. i used to hit this board a few years ago when planning a trip to wdw, i was totaly shocked (and kind of put off) to start hitting it again a few months ago (again in planning for a trip) to find it had changed to a lot of post about sales and rebates not remotly related to disney.

my vote is 2 boards-one for saving, the other for budgeting "in the mouse's house".

I am torn on this issue. While I feel badly that some people are put off by the genericness of this board, I think that if we had a board that was devoted ONLY to savings at Disney, it would a lot less active board.

Budget-teers? What do you all think? And if it were a board that only discussed the savings for Disney, how would we restrict the conversations? Would we only allow discussions on transportation, rooms, tickets, food and souveniers at Disney? We are open for suggestions.

I really like this board - but if you had to change it, I would have 2 boards, one for general budget ideas, and the other for tickets, hotel rooms , etc -

But the thing is, usually I find those kinds of deals on the specific board of where I am going. For example, if I am going on a Disney Cruise, I just head on over to the cruise board and there are plenty of people there to help me with where I should go to get a good deal - Same with the Disneyland board, great ideas on hotel and ticket savings, etc -

Saving money is always good for everyone!! Can't believe how well I am doing just with the Grocery Game! and I learned that from here!

Karen

I think that you would find a "Disney Deals" board would become very repetitive. It's usually the same questions that are so patiently answered here: "Where do I get the best price on tickets?" "Are the any room codes out for mm/dd/yy?" "How can I get cheaper airfare?" "Can a trip be done for $X,XXX?"

Personally, I like the many deals that get posted on the current Budget Board because any $$$ I don't spend on the routine stuff can be spent on WDW. If a thread doesn't appeal to me (like deals on strollers, diapers or kids' clothing), I just skip over it. There's no need to ready every thread on the board.

It's very easy to skim past thread titles that don't pertain to the particular topic that brought you to the Budget Board. I LIKE having all money saving subjects posted in one place--because MANY times I have come here looking for Disney saving hints--and discovered other GREAT money saving tips and discounts for everyday savings that have really helped me. OR...I've come to the Budget board looking for Disney resort room codes, and found out that Baskin Robbins is free that day, and our family took full advantage.

In the end--for all of us Disney addicts--isn't every dollar saved REALLY just another dollar you can spend at Disney!!! That's they way I like to look at it.

I just don't think the deals for WDW are available like they used to be, so the board has naturely evolved into what it is now. I know when I booked our first WDW trip, I spent a couple of hours on the boards and was able to shave over $1000 from our trip expense. Those same kinds of things just aren't out there anymore. I feel the board would become quite inactive. Sorry :(

If there were lots of Disney deals we were missing because of the other posts, I would agree about a split board. I just don't think there is anything to post about.

The DVC board split into two boards and I don't like it--usually have to go to both boards. I think it got more traffic as "one" board...at least, I don't visit as often. It's sometimes confusing why threads are on one board or another.
Just my opinion, I like one "Budget" board. I also think that if the board was split up, it would get less traffic. It could be a problem deciding what thread goes on what board, etc.
Budget board Threads can be clearly labeled about subject matter and passed over if not interested. :confused3

I like it as is. I just don't read the threads that don't interest me. I have saved money on other things from this board and most people like me, put any extra $ into the Disney fund!

goofy4wdw59 said:
The DVC board split into two boards and I don't like it--usually have to go to both boards. I think it got more traffic as "one" board...at least, I don't visit as often. It's sometimes confusing why threads are on one board or another.
Just my opinion, I like one "Budget" board. I also think that if the board was split up, it would get less traffic. It could be a problem deciding what thread goes on what board, etc.
Budget board Threads can be clearly labeled about subject matter and passed over if not interested. :confused3

Those two DVC boards are a real agrivating pain.....things are always MOVED sometimes 10 or 15 on one page.....I like this board the way it is all combined...if I want something more specific like transportation or hotels etc. I go to those board that is if I can't find it here. I also because of the post on here have saved hundreds this year for my trip to Disney. A big vote Yes for the way the boards are now. Carol :earsgirl:

Meh. I don't really see the need for two boards. First of all I prefer the "one-stop shopping" here, plus I really don't think there's enough content for saving at Disney to justify it's own board. I think folks would be better off posting their Disney questions to the budget-minded Disneyphiles here, or better yet, using the search function!!!

I love this board just as it is but I'm sorry if its wider scope is putting off certain users. Could we perhaps have a method of indicating at a glance what is about generic saving and what is about specific Disney saving, it could be as simple as a m for mickey or maybe a differing colour? Still, it would sometimes be hard to decide which to use, foe example where would Disney Direct deals belong ?

We just love the Budget Board, just the way it is !!!! Very helpful and informative. Love all the tips!!!!

Flo

I'm with those that think one dollar saved is another dollar for my vacation. I am easily able to skip over what I don't need.

A couple times I thought I'd never get something out of a thread, but when I opened it up, I found some money saving ideas I'd missed. (grocery game, 50rewarddollars, code stacking, overstock $10, etc.)

No longer do we have lots of DISNEY codes to pass along, but having disney hints mixed in with the money saving tips keeps me excited about our upcoming trip. (loved that FREE at the parks thread a few months ago... :rotfl: anybody for an MRE?)

I have come to trust the opinions and guidance of this board, and if the DISNEY were taken out of it, it would just be another savings board...we can find those all over the internet. But most of those savings boards would never congratulate you on "saving" money with a DISNEY vacation. :rolleyes:

Still, I like the idea of having something to make it evident when the savings is MICKEY related. How about using the same Icon at the beg. of header?

End of my long vote.

poohfriend said:
I'm with those that think one dollar saved is another dollar for my vacation. I am easily able to skip over what I don't need.

Me too.

My favorite board! Please do not change it. We really NEED to save $$ on everything, now especially. Often, this the only board I visit when I have a free minute. Very informative.

And, I think this issue has been raised before. I think a Disney Deals (only) board would be quite sparse as there are not THAT many deals.

JMO

Here's another vote for keeping the Budget board the way it is. As others have said, it is easier having everything in one place. As I do with all the boards, if there is something that doesn't pertain to me, I just skip it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Adding my voice to leave it, please. Being Canadian, there are a LOT of posts that do not pertain to me. I just pass 'em over and hit what I want. My time (like yours, I'm sure) is really stretched, so I don't want to dig for what I am looking. Please, please, leave the board just as it is.

I prefer it just the way it is. I hate having to go to multiple boards to get all the information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter