Moana and More AAPI Month Exercise Challenge (May 2022)

Good afternoon everyone! Our numbers have been updated, and we had a bunch of folks turn Rajah Orange. Congrats to Sophy1996, Colorado Lime, and Elizabeth Smith! Meanwhile my early morning runs have paid off, and I'm at gold! PollyannaMom put in the work to turn pink, so congrats! Well, congrats to all our color changes.

Did anyone guess my celebrity? It's Ming-Na Wen! She was the original Mulan and the courtier who introduced Mulan in the live action film:
intro-import.webp

And here she is has "The Calvary" Agent Melinda May, in Marvel's Agents of Shield:
shield_mingna_tall.jpeg

And then completing her status as a Disney Legend in her new role as Bounty Hunter Fennec Shand on The Mandalorian and in the Book of Boba Fett:
the-mandalorian-character-poster-fennec-1g2r4d963e.jpg

For me one of the coolest parts of her life is knowing she was a geek in high school - president of the school SciFI club! And I love that she's a grown up 58 years old and still an action star. :)

In honor of Raya turning Shang-Chi Gold, let's take a look at Simu Liu, the Chinese-Canadian star of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Liu was born in China but emigrated to Canada when he was 5 years old. He graduated from the University of Western Ontario and went into accounting (who would have thought??). After being laid off, he decided on a career change, and he went into stunt work before finding work as an actor. Liu's first recurring role was in the TV series Blood and Water and his first main role in the sitcom Kim's Convenience.

Here's an article about casting Liu as Shang-Chi, and here's an article about how proud he was to bring Asian representation to the world of superheroes.

So work and home life has been crazy. Thankfully nothing I can't handle but I just haven't been able to get on to update my numbers. They are not great though. I need to get my act together and start walking.

May 1 -- 68
May 2 -- 32
May 3 -- 12
May 5 -- 19
May 8 -- 30
May 9 -- 37
May 11 -- 10
May 12 -- 43
May 13 -- 27
May 15 -- 32
May 16 -- 43
May 18 -- 35

Total -- 388/930 Not as bad as I thought it would be.

One of the stars of Disney's recent movie Jungle Cruise has Pacific Islander ancestry. The mother of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is Samoan and part of a well-known pro wrestling family. Apparently Samoa put out an appeal to Johnson last year, asking him to "come home," as part of a tourism campaign.

Johnson has highlighted his Samoan ancestry. For International Women's Day in March, he had an Instagram post of his mom doing a traditional Samoan dance--with him joining in to show his respect for her and the Samoan culture.

Last edited:
544/1800 not a good last few days haven't got to do much of anything :/
Every little bit counts!

Did anyone guess my celebrity? It's Ming-Na Wen!
Yes, I did! She's a favorite of mine.

Life's been getting in the way of exercise/posting, but I'm working on getting back on track:

Sat-5/14 - 25
Sun (skip)
Mon-5/16 - 20
Tue-5/17 - 10
Wed (skip)
Thu-5/19 - 20
Fri-5/20 - 15 treadmill and 40 yoga (The class is part practice and part discussion, so I count half of the 80 min.)
------------------
total new minutes = 130

new score = 325/600

I took off Wednesday and Thursday last week because I was not feeling great, but got 40 minutes on Friday and Saturday, taking walks.

530/800

I also took off Sunday and I don't know if I'm going to manage any exercise today, since it's my wedding anniversary, so hopefully I'll be pretty disciplined for the rest of the week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter