• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moana and More AAPI Month Exercise Challenge (May 2022)

If you're heading to WDW this month, be sure to check out some of the attractions that highlight Asian and Pacific Islander heritage. Earlier this week, the Disney Parks Blog spotlighted some relevant attractions around the Florida parks and Disney Springs, including character appearances and some yummy foods! And since food is one of my big Disney interests, here's another article discussing commemorative dishes at Disney Springs and a report from Disney Food Blog on the special treats.

Last edited:

I'm here! I had to go away for a few days to help a family member through an emergency. All is fine now, but there wasn't much exercise happening. I managed 25 minutes while there, and am back home now.

I was going to reduce my goal, but am inspired by all your posts to stick with my original 600, so I'm now at:

50/600

Good evening everyone! Updating our totals, we've got a lot of great movers and shakers out there.

Welcome back to Piglet1979!

And welcome to Red, PollyannaMom & Bethislucy! In keeping with our theme, did you know many AAPI cultures believe red is a lucky color? That's why it's worn on holidays and used for gift envelopes. Our whole team has reached lucky red as well!

The new pink folks deserve some applause too! That's Sophy1996, ColoradoLime, Twilight Sparkle and me! I picked Pink for Mulan's blossom that blooms in adversity, but also for the Cherry Blossoms that pop up each spring around the National Mall. They were a gift from Japan to the United States, and represent renewal each spring.

I'm being lazy and not posting a separate update from me - but here's the big news I've managed to get up for 'first thing in the morning' runs twice! 2.5 miles (50 minutes) and 2.3 miles (46 minutes), both logged before 8am! It's a springtime miracle that I'm hoping happens again tomorrow morning. :P

In honor of so many folks turning Mulan Pink:

The 1998 animated version of Mulan featured Asian-American Ming-Na Wen as the speaking voice of Mulan, and Filipina Lea Salonga as Mulan's singing voice. Asian-American BD Wong provided the speaking voice of Li Shang. And the movie featured several other renowned Asian-American actors: James Hong as Chi-Fu, George Takei as First Ancestor, and Pat Morita as the Emperor of China.

Sadly, as boys both George Takei and Pat Morita were confined to internment camps with their families during World War II. Here's an article from Biography about their experiences.

Disney released a live-action remake of Mulan in 2020. In that version, Chinese-American actress Liu Yifel (aka Crystal Liu) starred as Mulan and Donnie Yen of Hong Kong (and formerly an American citizen), appeared as Commander Tung, a replacement character for Li Shang. The film also featured appearances by several other Asian-American/Pacific Islander actors, including Jet Li, Rosalind Chao, Jason Scott Lee, and Tzi Ma. In addition, according to Wikipedia, Ming-Na Wen made a cameo appearance as "an esteemed guest who introduces Mulan to the Emperor."

Liu Yifel has been a popular actress in China since acquiring a cult following for a 2005 role in Chinese Paladin, adapted from the role-playing game The Legend of Sword and Fairy. Donnie Yen is a mixed martial artist and a big star in China. Also according to Wikipedia, "In an official poll on the Star Wars webpage, in which more 40,000 people voted, Yen's character Chirrut Îmwe was voted as audiences' favorite Rogue One character."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter