MK Rail Road scheduled re opening summer 2019?

I did the train tour on Sunday and everyone on that tour said they hadn't been told a date. It sounded like most of them were guessing at about a year.

The tour guide, for whatever that's worth, said they are thinking about doing some refurbs to it while it's down that could extend the time out or make them stop doing the tours.

I did the train tour on Sunday and everyone on that tour said they hadn't been told a date. It sounded like most of them were guessing at about a year.

The tour guide, for whatever that's worth, said they are thinking about doing some refurbs to it while it's down that could extend the time out or make them stop doing the tours.
How was the tour? I was thinking of taking it next visit

I don’t see the train being down for two years.

I personally don't know, but if they were to build the track first, building second, and canopy third (assuming the canopy goes over the tracks), wouldn't it have to be down until the ride is nearly completed?

I personally don't know, but if they were to build the track first, building second, and canopy third (assuming the canopy goes over the tracks), wouldn't it have to be down until the ride is nearly completed?
Not necessarily. They have ripped up the train tracks so they may be re-routing things a bit. I could see it come back and then go down again. I don’t think the train will be down the entire duration.

Not necessarily. They have ripped up the train tracks so they may be re-routing things a bit. I could see it come back and then go down again. I don’t think the train will be down the entire duration.

I certainly hope not. We don't plan on doing the train for our star wars land trip, but I'm sure this has impacted a lot of people who wanted to ride it

I assume part of the construction is for a tunnel for the train to go through and block those in the train from seeing “the future” and block those in Tomorrowland from seeing a 1900s train

Once that tunnel is done I would think they could run the trains even if other construction is going on around/over it

I assume part of the construction is for a tunnel for the train to go through and block those in the train from seeing “the future” and block those in Tomorrowland from seeing a 1900s train

Once that tunnel is done I would think they could run the trains even if other construction is going on around/over it
I don’t think it’s been confirmed it will be a tunnel. I know people have said that the concept art isn’t 100% accurate to what it will look like.

I don't think there is a need to hide one from the other. I have always seen the train as existing "out of time" so it is appropriate in any of the lands it passes through. Sort of how you can see Cinderella's Castle from the different lands.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed it will be a tunnel. I know people have said that the concept art isn’t 100% accurate to what it will look like.

I don't think there is a need to hide one from the other. I have always seen the train as existing "out of time" so it is appropriate in any of the lands it passes through. Sort of how you can see Cinderella's Castle from the different lands.

Maybe just personal preference but I think it will really break up the immersion - especially with a bit more cohesiveness between the look of Tron and Space Miuntain and having that bit of a Tron themed plaza in front of it

Just can’t picture the Tron coaster zipping through the canopy section with a steam train directly below it in full view

Maybe just personal preference but I think it will really break up the immersion - especially with a bit more cohesiveness between the look of Tron and Space Miuntain and having that bit of a Tron themed plaza in front of it

Just can’t picture the Tron coaster zipping through the canopy section with a steam train directly below it in full view
An old steam train has never really made much sense thematically in Tomorrowland. I am interested to see what they do though.

There's excavation going on south of space mountain, outside the train tracks. Definitely not Tron related, but could also be a reason for the train to be down.

How was the tour? I was thinking of taking it next visit
I think I'm in the minority but I didn't like it that much and it wasn't really what I was expecting. The biggest thing is I thought you got to go into the roundhouse, but you don't, you just stand outside of it while they give individual tours of the engine cabin area. It didn't help that it poured on us the whole time and it was pretty cold.

The tour was also given by a tour guide, not an engineer or maintenance person.

I am a mechanical engineer and understand steam engines pretty well, so I probably had different expectations than most people. I thought it was going to be in the roundhouse and discuss their upkeep much more and be given by someone that actually knew the trains.

Edit, I don't want to sound too down on it. I think I would've still done it if I knew what it really was, but my wife would've probably skipped it. I don't foresee myself doing it again, though. I am also a tightwad, so $54 is a lot of money to me ;).

Seeing main street and fantasy land with literally zero people in them was pretty cool though.

Last edited:
I think I'm in the minority but I didn't like it that much and it wasn't really what I was expecting. The biggest thing is I thought you got to go into the roundhouse, but you don't, you just stand outside of it while they give individual tours of the engine cabin area. It didn't help that it poured on us the whole time and it was pretty cold.

The tour was also given by a tour guide, not an engineer or maintenance person.

I am a mechanical engineer and understand steam engines pretty well, so I probably had different expectations than most people. I thought it was going to be in the roundhouse and discuss their upkeep much more and be given by someone that actually knew the trains.

Edit, I don't want to sound too down on it. I think I would've still done it if I knew what it really was, but my wife would've probably skipped it. I don't foresee myself doing it again, though. I am also a tightwad, so $54 is a lot of money to me ;).

Seeing main street and fantasy land with literally zero people in them was pretty cool though.
I went in Nov and I thought it was cool for the zero people main street -- the solo ride on the train and the history of the trains at WDW. I also enjoyed the ride from the roundhouse to Main Street station -- AS the park was opening. Felt like the old park opening show -- except we were the train riders (not characters).

I could have done without the last 30 minutes, it sorta dragged. The talk about Disney's backyard train. Fun to know and all .. but by that time (2 1/2 hours) I was ready to hit the parks as the rest of my family was waiting for me. Would have skipped out, but that would have been rude to the GREAT tour guide.

But for the price -- a very interesting tour -- especially if you know nothing about Steam Trains and how they work (my dad and I (being train buffs) did. So -- ya .. we were bit disappointed in the tour not being as technical as we were hoping. But we are still glad we did it. (just REALLY early start to your day .. whew).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter