MK Full

Thanks for reinforcing why we never visit after 2nd week in December. ::yes::

raven69david said:
Thanks for reinforcing why we never visit after 2nd week in December. ::yes::

My DD is in school that week, so we come over Christmas and New Years. It's crowded but if you understand park dynamics and how to use fast passes you're fine. We were at the Studios on Sunday and literally walked on to everything (including TSM) for the first 2 hours.

The only way that could happen is if there were no fire codes.

I was going to start another thread to ask this, but I have read that at one time maybe the late 70 to maybe the early 80's, no one went to WDW over Xmas. It was so dead that CM's out numbered guests.

Can any one confirm this?

Well, I was there for a three day Christmas weekend in the mid-80's, pre-FP of course, and the crowds were so bad we didn't go in a single attraction the entire weekend. That was back when they actually did broadcast the Christmas parade live on Christmas day, so we went to MK for the parade (which we videotaped at home so we could see ourselves on TV, lol), and the rest of the time just wandered around, spent time at the resort, etc.

Non-resort guests are not the same as locals. Lots of options to staying off-site.

I've never heard of all 4 parks closing at capacity at the same time.

The worst I've heard of is three out of four closed. That happened a few years ago during Christmas week - maybe 2009ish? AK was the only park open for a few hours, the other three were closed.

The worst I've heard of is three out of four closed. That happened a few years ago during Christmas week - maybe 2009ish? AK was the only park open for a few hours, the other three were closed.

I'm pretty sure three of the four closed last year right around New Year's Eve also.

Epcot was dead today. Got there at 9:30 ~ did everything.... left at 6:00.

Even had a snack in each country... not one person... but with 12 of us someone was hungry every country. :)

Including a sitdown meal in Mexico, Soarin, Test Track and Mission Space.

Last year DAK, DHS, MK, IoA, and Legoland all closed to capacity. I believe it was on the 27th, 28th, or 30th.

Epcot was dead today. Got there at 9:30 ~ did everything.... left at 6:00.

Even had a snack in each country... not one person... but with 12 of us someone was hungry every country. :)

Including a sitdown meal in Mexico, Soarin, Test Track and Mission Space.
Yup. We were at Epcot today too. We traipsed in about 30 minutes after rope drop and were able to do Soarin' with a 10 minute wait then over to Test Track for a walk on in the Single Rider line. The longest line was at Spaceship Earth and that was about 20 minutes. We even avoided the worst of the rain.

Don't worry they will be back next week. I always tell people on those days stick to your resort if you don't like crowds.

It's not just the locals. The idea that the park is gonna be practically empty and they should just be able to walk on everything on those holidays is still out there.

When people ask me I tell them that it is the most crowded time to go, you need plans and reservations, patience, trust and whole lot of pixie dust.

It's also people in the most Christmas spirit (NOT)

Finally, around 12:30 p.m.
IMG_1342_zps1d5d771f.jpg

This looks like it did in Disneyland this year for our entire week and that was a random week in OCTOBER! The interesting thing was that the first picture posted at 7 in no way looks like DL at 7am. It is much more crowded as getting there early does not seem to really be a secret like it is at DW. Just interesting I thought, as like most of you I used to find these pictures surprising. After visiting DL for the first time, not so much!:rotfl:

robinb said:
My DD is in school that week, so we come over Christmas and New Years. It's crowded but if you understand park dynamics and how to use fast passes you're fine. We were at the Studios on Sunday and literally walked on to everything (including TSM) for the first 2 hours.

This is exactly what we do. AM EMH, FastPass, and a little planning. There were only a few times this week that I felt intimidated by the crowds. There were times where the parks seemed pretty quiet too.

For the record...we usually go during the summer so we are used to crowds. I feel bad for those who are scared off by crowd reports and miss out on this magical time. Like I said before there were only a handful of times where the crowds (for us) were near that "capacity" crowd feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter