Mixology Class - Drinks?

I booked Mixology on my upcoming cruise when I booked my other activities on the DCL site.

I've been debating with myself over whether I'm going to keep it, though. On the one hand, it sounds like it could be fun, plus I'd like to learn about new drinks. On the other hand, I'm slightly concerned it'll be awkward as a solo...and after reading this thread, a little more concerned about whether it's going to knock me out for the afternoon.
Well you don't HAVE to drink the entire drink. :drinking1

I just took a sip of the drinks as they were made. And actually drank only one of them.

On the other hand, I'm slightly concerned it'll be awkward as a solo...and after reading this thread, a little more concerned about whether it's going to knock me out for the afternoon.

Honestly, I don't understand why being solo would be awkward. I haved cruised solo numerous times(even the Panama Canal for 2 weeks), eaten dinner as a solo, eaten in Palo for brunch and dinner, and have done Tastings by myself. I don't feel awkward, and if anyone else does, that's on them. It is actually very liberating to be able to make decisions for yourself without consulting anyone else.

Please go and enjoy yourself!

As for your feeling that you will be looped for the rest of the day, my advice is to eat a substantial meal or snack before you go. You will do fine.

I just took a sip of the drinks as they were made. And actually drank only one of them.

Fair point....

Honestly, I don't understand why being solo would be awkward. I haved cruised solo numerous times(even the Panama Canal for 2 weeks), eaten dinner as a solo, eaten in Palo for brunch and dinner, and have done Tastings by myself. I don't feel awkward, and if anyone else does, that's on them. It is actually very liberating to be able to make decisions for yourself without consulting anyone else.

Please go and enjoy yourself!

As for your feeling that you will be looped for the rest of the day, my advice is to eat a substantial meal or snack before you go. You will do fine.

I've never done a cruise before, but I have traveled solo on land -- I've done Disney parks alone, wandered foreign cities alone. I go out to eat or to the movies alone fairly often, though not as much as I used to. The activities where I'm just doing my own thing don't worry me; it's when I'm going to be thrown in with a group of people I don't know that I get nervous about it, and I don't have a lot of experience doing that kind of thing without a friend along because in the past I've simply avoided putting myself in that situation. I'm pushing myself a bit on this cruise by not putting in a request for a private table in the MDR, and by signing up for Mixology even though I just have a very general sense of what it entails (mix booze, drink booze, profit?).

A couple people in our mixology class commented on that and said that on their last Dream cruise they were 'shamed' by other participants for wasting liquor when they didn't finish a few of their drinks.

A couple people in our mixology class commented on that and said that on their last Dream cruise they were 'shamed' by other participants for wasting liquor when they didn't finish a few of their drinks.
Well, in my opinion, they (the ones saying the drinks were being wasted) should be the ones "shamed". I didn't go to get drunk. I went to learn new drinks. And, truthfully, only one of them was to my liking. It's my money that's "wasted" - my call.

Yes, it's a cheap drunk doing the mixology, but I don't cruise to get drunk.

Well, in my opinion, they (the ones saying the drinks were being wasted) should be the ones "shamed". I didn't go to get drunk. I went to learn new drinks. And, truthfully, only one of them was to my liking. It's my money that's "wasted" - my call.

Yes, it's a cheap drunk doing the mixology, but I don't cruise to get drunk.

Concur. I was just relating an experience.

On the other hand, I'm slightly concerned it'll be awkward as a solo...

I've only cruise twice and therefore have only done the mixology class twice, but I don't think you need to be concerned about being solo. On my most recent cruise, there were a number of solo participants and I think they still enjoyed themselves.

As for the alcohol content, you can always choose to only "taste" some of the drinks and completely drink your favourite two or three. Or just make sure you have a full stomach before your class.

I'm pushing myself a bit on this cruise by not putting in a request for a private table in the MDR, and by signing up for Mixology even though I just have a very general sense of what it entails (mix booze, drink booze, profit?).

I have found that if you are sharing an experience, most people are very friendly. If you choose to carry on a conversation, you can. If you prefer not, it's very easy to sit quietly and just observe. I have done both, depending on the circumstances.

Most people on a cruise are very happy, having a good time and the more the merrier.

The Mixology, I've attended, is either participating in the preparation of a few drinks(something, as a solo, I would not volunteer for) or watching others prepare them. Sometimes the bartender may have one prepared and waiting on the table. The bartender may or may not talk about the drinks. You are going to taste or drink them. That's it. The bartender has a defined time limit for this activity. It's not like it's going to go on for hours. You are going to drink these in about an hour, hour and half, tops. There isn't a lot of time for socializing with your fellow participants, but it is a good way to try drinks that may be out of your comfort zone.

Enjoy your cruise.

I didn't cruise solo, but I did some tastings solo, since others in my family were not interested. It was no problem. It is all very informal. Talk to others as little or as much as you wish. The host was very accommodating. Might there be a jerk or two. Sure. Could happen. But most of the people are very nice. I had a great time at the tastings, regardless of the fact that I was solo.

But it is good for you to think about these things ahead of time. Only you know what will work for you, but I can tell you from my experience, you won't be the only one there without someone they already know.

I booked Mixology on my upcoming cruise when I booked my other activities on the DCL site.

I've been debating with myself over whether I'm going to keep it, though. On the one hand, it sounds like it could be fun, plus I'd like to learn about new drinks. On the other hand, I'm slightly concerned it'll be awkward as a solo...and after reading this thread, a little more concerned about whether it's going to knock me out for the afternoon.
I routinely do tastings and Mixology solo, since DW doesn’t drink alcohol. It’s never been a problem. Usually sit at tables for four, so you might be joined by a group of three, a couple plus another solo, or even end up with an open seat (and perhaps an opportunity to share in the extra samples).

As to being drowsy after a tasting session, taste everything but only finish the drinks you particularly enjoy. I estimate that the beer and wine tastings amount to about 2.5 to 3 regular servings. Mixology varies depending on the pours, but in most cases I feel like it’s a total of about 3 regular servings as well.

Just a heads up, Mixology on the Magic and Wonder are a bit different than on the Dream and Fantasy. You can't get behind the bar on the Magic and Wonder, so you end up just sitting at a table with all the glasses in front of you. We still had fun, but I was a little sad we didn't get behind the bar and get the whole mixology experience. We made a Mojito with Jameson and apple juice, a PB and Jelly shot, some type of raspberry sparkling wine drink, and I think some type of blue margarita. I know the bartender told us the Jameson Mojito was her own creation. Have fun, and eat first!! :)

After participating in very active Mixology classes on the Dream & Fantasy, I was disappointed with the Mixology class on the Magic & Wonder. It was more of a tasting class than a Mixology class.

Last edited:
The mixology class was fully booked online for our cruise. Do they open up spots on embarkation day, and where would we sign up? Thanks

There will likely be additional classes on board. When you get to the terminal, they will give you the first day's Navigator and it will tell you where to go to do that.

There will likely be additional classes on board. When you get to the terminal, they will give you the first day's Navigator and it will tell you where to go to do that.
If you had to pick one, which would it be? (I know ppls taste are different, just want to know which one blew you away enough to select again).

I really can't answer that because it is a matter of preference, but I can give you some things to consider and share my experience.

You really need to pick a type of alcohol that you enjoy.

However, I can say that there are differences in addition to the type of alcohol served that might matter to you too. Most of the tastings are in the afternoon, which I personally found inconvenient, but some people prefer. Also, some (like Mixology) tend to fill up and be large, others tend to be smaller groups.

I did the Cognac and the Whiskey tastings. They were both in the evening, and lightly attended. The host was knowledgeable and the alcohols were good. It was a lot of fun, and informal.

Does anyone know if they will allow a nonticketed person to attend/watch? My DD19 will be the only underage person in our party. We'd like her to at least join us.

Does anyone know if they will allow a nonticketed person to attend/watch? My DD19 will be the only underage person in our party. We'd like her to at least join us.
There's two different reports on this. Well, maybe 3. Yes, an non-participating person (adult) can come and just watch at no cost. No, a non-participating adult must also still pay. No, an underage (it's an adult only event) person cannot attend, regardless of whether they pay or not.

I was on the Wonder a few weeks ago. We did tequila tasting, martini tasting, two mixologies, wine tasting and beer tasting. They don't let you mix anything anymore even at your table. The drinks are all pre made. The story we were told is that Royal Caribbean got fined because guests were preparing drinks and they are not licensed bartenders or food handlers so Disney is no longer allowing guests to mix their own drinks. I have no idea if that is true. In mixology I remember doing a shot with kahlua and fireball which sounds gross but it was really good, a lemon drop martini, a mojito, a margarita, a caipirinha...

The only tastings that really messed us up were tequila (we signed up at guest services and they told us it was a margarita tasting... well there was one margarita and the rest was tequila shots) and then the time we did a martini tasting, then ordered another grasshopper martini while we sat and waited for our mixology class to start next, and then had mixology. So eleven drinks in two hours wasn't the best plan.

The bartenders in general are really good about letting you substitute a different drink if you really hate something or if you have already done tastings with them that week, they will make you different drinks so you get a variety.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter