mixed age family

greatbooks

Earning My Ears
Are there any other families who have traveled with children of vastly different ages who can offer some advice on making it a wonderful trip for all? We have 3 children: 13,11 and a one yr old. We have contemplated splitting up, going together and being flexible, and a combination of both. We will probably only do this one time with the older two so the focus will be on them. (although the 13 year old says he wants another Disney trip when he graduates HS :)). We have opted to go in Sept (late) hoping for less severe heat and less of a crowd. We are staying at Riverside. Your ideas are appreciated!

We went 1 yr ago (as of april 1st)with our then 10yr DS and 2 1/2 DD. We really only split 2 times during our trip. Once at MGM for DS and I to do RNR and TOT. The second time was our 2nd day at MK DH and DD redid FL while DS and I did the Mountains. There is so much the family can do together that we found no need to split. We did baby swap a couple of time (Dinasaur and Alien Encounter)

<font color= red Comic Sans MS> All Star Music-April 2000 </font>
<font color= purple font= Comic Sans MS> Shades of Green- May 2002 </font>

We, too, have a mixed family. We are leaving 4/6 with our 13 and 14 year old daughters and 2 year old son and 1 year old daughter. We have decided to allow the older girls designated days/times that they can go buy themselves. We will also designate family time. I will let you know how it turns out...

We have 6 kids ages 15, 12, 10, 7, 5, and 2. In Feb. we let the 3 boys,10,7 and 5, stay at the Neverland Club one night and took the older girls where they wanted to go. Epcot, to just stroll around and shop.

Other times we have had in room babysitting for younger ones and taken older ones out for their special night.

Feb. was also my 15yr olds b-day and my hubby took her and the 12 yo to Cirque, LUCKY!! They loved going and being away from the younger ones, while I took the younger ones shopping in toontown, dinner in MK, nad then watched the fireworks from the beach at the poly.

Otherwise we pretty much stayed together. For disliking each other so much at home they do enjoy seeing the younger ones have fun there.

We too have a mixed age family. In 1997 we took my son age 13, and daughters age 15 and 6 months old to WDW over Christmas (will never do Christmas again, but that is a topic for another thread). The older son and daughter went their own way for much of the days, while wife and I enjoyed much of the time with our infant.

However, now that my oldest daughter is in college and my son is living with his mother, they will not be coming with us on our May trip.

Bart

We are a family of 5. The older 2 and myself like the thrill rides, the youngest and my husband do not. We have purchased FRS radios and plan to split up occasionally. They have a 2 mile range. We have also decided to let the 15 and 12 year old go off together if they want for short periods of time, and the radio will give me peace of mind.

Our kids are 13,10,5,2 We always split up part of the time but one of the fun things about having the different ages is seeing the 13 yr old standing in line waiting for the carousel with her two yr old sis. Would she ride it otherwise? doubtful - but does she really love it - you bet! Have a great trip!

We are going on our first family trip to WDW but we have taken many family trips to other places. We also do a combination of staying together and splitting up. I agree with the previous posters- my DS enjoys seeing his little sister so excited about things that are "old hat" to him- and she gives him an excuse to do things that he does enjoy but would be to cool to try if he didn't "have" to. Have fun!

HI! EXCELLENT QUESTION! We plan on a few days of spliting up and I am looking forward to it! dd loves water parks and ds will need an aternoon nap so dh and dd will do water parks or pool in the afternoon while ds and I either relax in the room or stroll and spend some time together at MAGIC KINGDOM!

SandraC, visit our Disney family web site www.angelfire.com/on/disneyfun
º0º
1975 - off site (11 years old),
1977 - off site (13 years old),
1987 - Indian Rock Shores (23 years old with hubby, b/f at the time),
1990 - Holiday Inn International Drive/Daytona Beach (26 years old, with hubby, six month after wedding),
1998 - KIDS VILLAGE, GIVE KIDS THE WORLD, Make-a-Wish trip with 4.5 year old daughter born ill),
2001 APRIL - CBR - ON SITE FIRST TIME! YIPPY! With dd 7 years old, ds 15 mo

I AGREE WITH ONE OF THE ABOVE POSTERS. WE HAVE A 13 YR OLD DD AND A 5 YR OLD DS. WE TRY TO STAY TOGETHER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BUT SINCE ONE IS ADDICTED TO SHOPPING AND ONE IS ADDICTED TO BUZZ LIGHTYEAR SPACE RANGER SPIN THE ANSWER TO MINE AND DH PRAYERS WERE THOSE FRS THINGS ! WOULD NEVER GO TO ANYWHERE W/OUT THEM. THEY ARE AWESOME!

Before leaving I had read quite often that people felt safe allowing their older children (12/13+) to go off alone. I was appalled. When DS was that age, I would not have considered allowing hiim to do that - despite his black belt in TaeKwon-Do. However, once we got down there, my opinions changed. (Still not sure about THAT young, but...) With the 2-way radios, I think it is okay to separate - especially if you stay within the same park. (Can we say over-protective?)

And yes, DS loved watching DD enjoy the parks. Some rides they went on repeatedly, abandoning Mom & Dad! (Buzz, Mansion, Pirates, especially!) Although I had worried that DS wouldn't want to stay with us, I found that the less we fussed & the more we offered him opportunities to go off on his own, the more he wanted to stay with us. Sounds like teenagers in the rest of life, huh?

This time we are taking my sister & DS's fiance. We expect to split up more often this time, but still have quite a few things planned together. Soon-to-be-DIL is planning on doing MOST things together...we'll see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest