Mistakes made, lessons learned - Chapter 5 finale.

Gerweniel

Mouseketeer
Greetings! This is my first trip report. I have been reading so many creative and informative reports for years that I want to give back a little. The cast of my characters is: DS1 - 14 year old, DS2 - turning 13 on this trip and myself, divorced single mom, 43. Trip dates: 6/20 - 7/1 (only 3 nights Anaheim, 6/29-29)

A bit of background.....we are HUGE WDW fans. My sons were born in Florida and were visiting WDW from the time they were little. We now live in New York State and after many years of financial hardship and no fun at all, we were able to get back to WDW and have traveled there once a year for the past 3 years. I had never been west of Denver, but grew up with Sunday night with Walt and always wanted to travel to the promised land. My brother and sister- in- law live in northern Idaho and the goal was to combine a trip to see them, get to Disneyland/California Adventure AND fit in my nephew's wedding in San Diego all in 12 days.......some serious planning was in order.

I was a travel agent for 12 years and used to plan high end tours to exotic locations. I swear it is easier to plan a trip down the Amazon River to coincide with a cruise to Antarctica than to figure out what "Good Neighbor" hotel to stay at and when to get in line for Nemo. :confused3 YIKES! (for the former I read all the Disboards posts I could and for the latter I used Ridemax).

After much research and coming to the conclusion my budget could not support any on-site Disney property (we really wanted DLH), we decided on the Howard Johnsons at the Anaheim Resort because: 1) it was walking distance to the entrance. 2) I could afford it. 3)Disboards gave it a thumbs up. :thumbsup2 4)Was voted "Best Family Hotel" in 2005 (will comment on that later)

Now, I was a travel agent as mentioned...this means if I actually have to PAY:eek: for a hotel for my family, I will research it to the sub atomic level.
I read the Disboards, Tripadvisor and used the roaming gnome of neurotic travelers - Google Earth...For those of you in not the know, other than "beaming" you there in advance, Google Earth can show everything you want to see about the landscape and surrounding area of most addresses. I THOUGHT I knew every square inch of that hotel.

We started planning our June trip in December. Our end itinerary was an early flight from New York to Spokane(closest airport to Sandpoint Id). We spend 6 days in Idaho, then Spokane to Ontario, drive to Anaheim, then drive to San Diego then home to New York. I bought our DL package through AAA. 3 nights at the hotel with 2 days park admission. I remember the satisfaction I had when all the tickets were purchased and I made my last payment to AAA. We planned all our moves around Ridemax...we were prepared!

The morning of our departure finally arrived. We were packed and ready to go for a super early drive to the airport. Everything was planned, all possible problems had solutions.....until we were in the check in line at JFK...then basically 6 months of planning collapsed, along with my son.

As mentioned, we had to leave super early for JFK. It is a 2 hour ride from our place in the woods. I like to get to the airport with plenty of time to spare, so we sychronized our watches for a 2:30am departure. When I woke up, the boys were amazingly already dressed and ready to go as if they hadn't slept. (I didn't register that at that moment)We left on time, arrived at the parking company about 5am, and took the 15 minute ride to the terminal in their bus. DS1 was saying he felt sea-sick on the shuttle...I didn't pay his comment much mind as the ride was bumpy and the bus was stuffy. Sort of like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. :sick:

Upon arrival, the line for Delta check in was as long as I imagined the Finding Nemo line would be, even at 5:30am. We waited....and waited some more. Inching through the line. Me grumbling under my breath at Delta not having enough staff. Suddenly, I heard a thud..crack from behind me!!! I turned around and DS1 was on his back on the floor, eyes closed, hands twitching as if startled, the queue line pole underneath him. Stunned and panicked I was as I got on the floor and lifted his head calling his name....I heard someone in the crowd say "he's having a seizure". DS2 was dumbstruck...immobile.
I shouted "Call 911"!!! I checked to make sure he was not swallowing his tongue, which he wasn't. What was bizarre and surreal was that the people in line behind me just walked over us with their luggage and didn't freaking help. :confused3 (Couldn't possibly be New Yorkers). A true gentleman (who I hope I thanked in all my panic) came to me and offered a bottled water for him which I accepted. My boy finally opened his eyes and sat up, dumbstruck and said "why am I on the floor". "Ian, you passed clean out - are you ok? What is wrong????" "I don't know". He tried to stand up and almost immediately fell backward again.

My son is 14 and a strapping young man of nearly 6 feet. He has never had any medical problems that would lead to this kind of issue. After about 30 seconds he woke up again and was able to move out of the line to the center of the terminal. About now an NYC police officer shows up and asks me what was going on....his first question was if my son was on drugs.....sheesh.
"We're from Upstate" I said completely indignant that he would even consider my Polo and Docker wearing son was on drugs.....

Anyway, long story short. The paramedics arrived and by that time drinking the water, Ian was alert and awake. I told them we had last eaten at 6:30pm the previous night, the boys hard hardly slept (found out later they DIDN'T SLEEP) due to the excitement of the trip and he had no history of anything similar to this. They took his vitals and they all check out ok. They said he probably had low blood sugar and with lack of sleep just collapsed.

I gave him some gummys I brought for in-flight snacks for them and he gobbled them down. Within minutes, the color returned to his face. We were still in the middle of the terminal. I was not sure whether or not to fly, but Ian was saying he was feeling 100% better, so leaving him with the paramedics, DS2 and I got to the front of the line (thanks to a sympathetic couple who saw the entire event) and checked our bags. It was about an hour till boarding and I was unsure if we should travel.

The paramedics cleared him to fly, but I was not convinced. I had horrific visions of something happening in flight where I had no control. We walked to the gate and I bought him juice and a Subway. Every 5 minutes I asked him if he was alright. He said he was just hungry and tired. I agonized if we should fly or not. At boarding time, I checked his pulse. He was fine, good color and acting normal. We boarded and had an uneventful 2 flights to Spokane. Other than a goose egg on the noggin', my DS1 is unscathed. He slept most of the 2 flights and during the trip I had had his blood sugar tested and he checked out fine.

So.....
1st mistake made and lesson learned: My commando tactics nearly led to injury to my son. I will make sure they are properly fed and had enough sleep when traveling.
2nd mistake made/lesson learned: Some people just plain suck. There is no reasonable rational explanation..it just is.:sad2: Others are willing to help a stranger when they can. I strive to be one of those people.

If you are with me this far, thanks! We do eventually make it to Disneyland...

Oh, this is a trip report about our first trip to Disneyland!:wizard:
next installment in the works.

You write very well. :thumbsup2

Am glad your son recovered quickly. & yep....boys need 8 hours of sleep and about 6 meals a day. :)

Looking forward to the next installment. Especially since you've researched the Hojo with Atomic efficiency. :lmao:

I hope you've seen the last of rude people.

hound :hippie:

Many thanks Hound. I've found out my sons need as many feedings now as they did as newborns....'cept now they complain more. ;)

Great start on the trip report!

What happened to your son at the airport sounds horrible. I can't believe some people wouldn't step in and help you and your son immediately!:sad2: So sorry you had to go through that!

Our little 8 year old guy has had a few bouts of low blood sugar. He never completely passed out like your son, but he's had to lay down on the floor of wherever he was at the time. Interesting how the color in their face just drains out to an ashy look. It's kind of scary too!

Can't wait to read some more! (hopefully happier things to come):thumbsup2

Chapter 3 – Idaho to Cali

This is not a trip report about Northern Idaho, but I have to say that in all my travels, I have never visited a more beautiful place. I mean really, if I had money to spare, my boys and I agree, we’d be on our way to a place on a lake in Idaho.
We will now fast forward to our arrival into Anaheim…. Thank God for GPS.
Thank God I learned how to drive in New York City. Thank God we had a hotel close enough to walk to Disneyland. To any native Californians – you all freak me out with your driving. “nuff said.

Arrival at the Howard Johnson’s Anaheim was uneventful except for the fact I am not used to driving 75 mph on a 5 line highway (oops Freeway) with cars passing me on the right at 90 mph.

Then, we saw the sign. The SIGN! The Disneyland sign. We saw the Tower of Terror and all things went right with the world at that moment. Google Earth told me the hotel was up on the right. I dissed all the other hotels as we drove past and saw the Howard Johnson’s tower. We parked our way-too-much-of-a-gas-guzzling SUV and went to check in.

The front desk was empty and our check-in gal was charming. She mentioned she upgraded us from a standard room to a pool view room and we got our keys. Now, as mentioned before, I knew this hotel from all the Tripadvisor, GoogleEarth, Disboards information etc. For the most part, it was correct except for the description of the Freeway literally RIGHT BEHIND the hotel. Now, I saw the Freeway on Google Earth right behind the hotel, but it just does not leave the same impression as actually being there. The noise was deafening, and the traffic never stops. If I had a room on that side, I would have had to leave.. I would be afraid an accident could practically happen in my room. Even in our sweet pool view 3rd floor room, from the bathroom I could hear the Freeway traffic.
I never believed anyone who described the Southern California traffic either until I drove it. To me it was an alternate universe of driving. New York traffic is predictable and plain nasty. California freeway driving was as random as pinball and scary.
I liked the hotel. It was nice. Rooms were clean, comfortable, pool was good. Staff was great. The walk was nothing compared to what we did in the parks. However, I have no clue why this hotel was voted the best family hotel in the US in 2005. I have made a promise to myself that when we return to Disneyland, we will stay at the Disneyland Hotel – or no where at all.

We got to our 3rd floor room quickly changed and were off to celebrate Devin’s 13th birthday at Medieval Times. We returned and we went to the balcony. It was getting dark and the strange shape and coloring of Space Mountain loomed in the distance….then I heard the music…..and the fireworks began. Now the hotel was charming me. I am at Disneyland. I am hearing music from Disneyland. I was captivated by the fireworks. The Howard Johnson’s mesmerized me. I was at that moment living the fireworks and music that I had been listening to on Live365 for months. The three of us were quiet as we watched the fireworks and lived the almost breathless minutes of our introduction to Disneyland.

To those of you who don't understand, I am sorry. To those who do, you know the feeling. :goodvibes

You know, I live here and the traffic and the drivers are enough to make you batty, but we acclimate to it. So glad your DS is ok, wow, what a scare. Can't wait to hear about your time in the parks - I hope you post again soon!:)

I'm soo glad for you and your family that your son was OK, you must have been very worried!! I feel like that when we get up early for a flight, it's a horrible feeling, although I have never fainted.

Really enjoying your trip reports!

We know the feeling. I am so glad you guys did. And I swear, it's the Kamikaze school of driving in SoCal. I'm glad your son was okay - how frightening.

We have had the same experience at HoJos watching the fireworks...my 6 year old saying "Mom, I'm so excited, I have to pee." Ah yes, I am also a single parent.

To any native Californians – you all freak me out with your driving. “nuff said.

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

Honestly, I was born and raised here in Southern Cal and have driven in Los Angeles traffic on all our crazy freeways for 20 years...and sometimes I am still freaked out!

Or, wait...hopefully I wasn't one of the freaky ones you are writing about!

I'm enjoying your trip report and glad to hear that your kids are well. As a youngster, my parents had to stop telling me when they were planning a trip to Disneyland because I'd get so excited I'd vomit in the car. :)

If you are reading this you are a Disney-phile and already know that Finding Nemo opened in June. I loved 20,000 Leagues @ WDW and was determined to ride Nemo during our DL trip. I bought RideMax to give us some direction because I believe Disboard reviews and we only had 2 days in the parks. We knew we had to be at Park opening and move with determination (not running ;) to the entrance to Nemo as our first ride.
After a full nights sleep and a big breakfast at Mimi’s Restaurant ( YUM, excellent. Fresh squeezed California orange juice is like nectar of the Gods) we arrived Disneyland on a non-EE day at the gate at 7:15 am. I was amazed at the crowd already there. Wow. My RideMax’s estimated wait time of 12 minutes wait at Nemo seemed a bit optimistic, but I was smiling! (In hindsight, we really should have been at the gate at 7:00am and things most likely would have been better)
We are FINALLY HERE!!!!! DS1 was grumbling that he didn’t like Nemo and didn’t want to wait in line and blah blah blah so I squelched him like a bad Rap song. I explained it is very rare to be able to say that you went on a major new ride during the first opening weeks and in 25 years you’ll be able to look back and fondly remember this moment….Hehe…It sounded completely plausible to me. The weather was California gorgeous, a bit hot, and not humid and the crowd was happy. We watched the opening ceremony but didn’t actually hear it, but I was almost in tears (of happiness) anyway. Then, the queues opened and we watched the turnstiles intently for potential openings. We snagged a fast moving entry line and were through the gate!

The rest of our long planned for, lovingly dreamed about entry into Disneyland is unfortunately a blur to me now. Chasing the jiggling backpacks and fannies of the horde in front of me obscured my first views of the castle and the Matterhorn. They could have been leading us off a cliff like buffalo. As the CMs directed us like airport ground crew into a hangar, we finally arrived the Nemo queue area. At that moment, with the 3 Mine,Mine,Mine seagulls ahead of us, I knew we’d be there awhile. It was 90 minutes until embarkation, mostly due to a rash of really, really rude and inconsiderate folks.

The reason I mention this is we were fairly close to the entrance of the ride, however, after the initial surge of folks lining up, the families, friends, neighbors, employees and pen pals of many of those in line showed up and oh-so-quietly and meekly snuck into line in front with their fast moving place holders. I was really annoyed. Not that I would have a problem with a wife and children or some older people catching up. This was serious abuse of line cutting. It kinda spoiled the initial magic. However, much like Dorrie, I forgot about it as we prepared to board.

You must experience Nemo for yourself. I will not comment on it. I will say I am glad we waited for it in its premier. I bought a cool pin. My sons informed me in no uncertain terms that they would never wait in line for 90 minutes for any Disney ride again.

If you have little nippers or people that are antsy, you may want to NOT wait in line. Also, it is extremely rude for one person to hold the line for 7 or 8 others. Just have some respect for folks...Respect was something in short supply.

I must say, after Nemo, our RideMax plan worked out incredibly well. DL was packed!!! We were able to do all the major rides we wanted by following the plan. (Not a paid testimonial)

My son's 13th b'day was celebrated at the Blue Bayou for lunch.
It was the most expensive lunch I have ever bought in my life, but it was a great time and well worth it. The food was excellent, the service special, the atmosphere like nowhere else in the world. Just awesome!

Pirates of the Caribbean was so different for us that it was a special treat. The Haunted Mansion was excellent and much more creepy and disturbing than at WDW. We saw Jack Sparrow across the river! A blues guitar player was serenading us as we shopped. I was floored by seeing the original Tiki Room again. The jungle cruise was LOL funny and I couldn’t believe the size of some of the plants. We saw the light in the window atop the Firehouse.

We were practically zombified by the time we made it back to the hotel. 17 hours on our feet.
You are probably zombified after reading this installment of the trip report. Only 1 more day to go folks! Thanks for holding on.

P6270169.jpg

Sounds like you had tons of fun! Look forward to the rest of the report!

Have been enjoying your report, Gerweniel, especially since I will be returning to the DLR next month and of course the Nemo subs are on our itinerary. I am so sorry you had such a scare at the airport with your son! Not the ideal way to start a trip, but so happy it all turned out okay. I've been reading on other boards that Nemo Subs CMs aren't doing the best job of keeping rude line-cutters in their proper place. I can see saving a space for a FP volunteer in the group who has run off to grab FPs and is rejoining the group. Or a parent who has left the queue with a child to use the restroom. But there are too many accounts of one person racing ahead to grab a place in line for the rest of their large party. Just not right.

I am returning to the DLR next month with my DNe9 and we have EE at DL (we're staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel, the one DLR resort hotel at which I haven't yet stayed). Mark at RideMax says to not arrive any later than 6:20am for EE. However, after reading your TR I'll be sure to be there before 6am.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

I'm enjoying your report so much!!!

Looking forward to more!!!!!!!! :cheer2:

Thanks for your kind words about the trip report. I am trying to get back into work mode and catch up on bills/housework :guilty: etc. The final chapter should be posted in a few days!

Thanks for your kind words about the trip report. I am trying to get back into work mode and catch up on bills/housework :guilty: etc. The final chapter should be posted in a few days!

I love your writing style! :love:

Can't wait to read more! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter