Mission Space Question

Parrothd

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About!
I haven't heard a whole lot about this attraction yet. Can someone fill me in a little. I've seen sites that show the seats and "rocket" controls etc., but what is it? Is it a simulator-type ride, where you enter a "capsule" and then the "capsule" moves on all 3 axes to simulate your space flight........kinda like Star Tours or Body Wars? :confused:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Yes. This is a simulator. At one point you are on your back and then shot into space-aka lift off. That was a wild feeling. It is a coll ride-very interesting and varied motions. My 7 and 9 yr. old sons loved this ride. As for DH, FIL and me-well, we feel we did it. That's enough for. I am not ready to do this again.

I love rides. I love the Tower of Terror, but this was just too much for me. I am glad I did it, but I do not feel the need to do it again. Well if I did I would wear seabands or something!

To be honest, no amount of reading about Mission Space can prepare you for the experience. Even if you know every single detail of the ride beforehand, you will still be surprised at how exciting and unique the attraction really is.

To sum it up, it simulates a mission to Mars that is seemingly very realistic. You will have feelings on this ride that no other can duplicate.

Read all you want, but you absolutely must experience it to know for sure.

::MickeyMo

As mathboy states above, this is a unique attraction. From reading these boards thoroughly before I went, the one thing I told everyone in my family was to keep your eyes open at all times and keep looking straight ahead, do not move your head. It is a centrifuge and if you keep your head still you do not feel like you are spinning.

I don't think anyone can know how they will feel on this ride, its a very individual thing.

I went on 2 times on 2 different days. My experience was that I almost felt like I was getting gas in the dentists office during the blast off. Even the simulator type stuff like dodging objects felt weird and not quite like star tours. One of my DS's went on this 3 times in a row. The other DS felt disoriented a little afterwards, but then he admitted he closed his eyes. I can see how he did that. I had to keep telling myself over and over not to close my eyes and to keep taking even breaths as I wanted to just squeeze my eyes shut and hold my breath.

Even though I kept my eyes open, looked straight ahead at the monitor in front of me, and didn't move my head, I was still fighting off motion sickness the whole time. I didn't get sick, but felt very woozy. It is definitely different than any other ride I've ever been on. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'd do it again.

For anyone with motion sickness issues, you may want to think twice about this one. I have never gotten sick from an amusement park ride, but I do get sick from reading in a car and I avoid simulators because they make me woozy. This ride is a combination of high-speed spinning (although you can't see that you are spinning) and a simulator. As others have stated, it's not like anything you've been on before.

This is the best ride ever. It feels so real (or what I imagine a liftoff to feel like). It will mess you up if you dont like dark confined spaces. We were at the parks in January and I rode it everyday. I loved it.

This is a GREAT ride. However as the signs say 5 or 6 times, if you have trouble with spinning normally, this ride is not for you.

On the ride you are part of a team of 4 people. My 5 year old loved it, although she could not reach the button she was supposed to press so I did it for her. Your team is going to Mars, and that is all I will tell you....

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like my concerns have been verified......sounds like it's not for me. The first time I went on Body Wars, I was nauseous the rest of the day......pretty much ruined my day. :crazy2: I blamed it on possibly having a bug or too much alcohol the day before....etc. However, when I tried Star Tours (on a different day), the same thing happened. :faint:
I realize now that I just can't do simulator-type rides. I'm spending too much money to get in the parks to have my day ruined by nausea. Call me a wimp, I guess. :(
Don't get me wrong, I love Tower of Terror and any roller coaster you can throw at me.....AND, I'm a Private Pilot and I fly small aircraft. Just don't put me in anything where the motion doesn't match what my eyes can see......and no, I can't read while riding in a car either. The motion doesn't match what I'm seeing. Vertigo is a terrible thing. :crazy:

I guess I'll just have to pass on this ride so I can enjoy all the other rides that Disney will have to offer me that day. :guilty:

Here's another question:

DS, age 6, is desperate to go on this attraction. Problem is, the rest of us are very prone to motion sickness (DS is not at all--go figure!). Could he go on by himself if Hubby or I walk through the line with him and stand right outside the capsule/compartment while he's in there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter