Mission:Space opens today!

All Aboard

Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas
Actually, it's not a lame April Fool's joke. Remember that Countdown to Mission display that was part of the original Mission:Space Center in Innoventions? Well, before it was quickly removed, it was counting down to today.

So even they knew the projected open date was a joke by having it scheduled on April Fool's day.

That reminds me - on our recent trip to WDW I noticed the poster in the M:S area in Innoventions with the picture of the 'X2' spacecraft rocketing toward a Space Station that is being pummelled by meteors.

Is this the story perhaps?

I just spent a few minutes on WDWMAGIC.COM glancing through the history of this attraction. Wow, it's been 3 full years since the demolition of the Horizons building. Construction on M:S started shortly thereafter. Seems like AK was completed in less time than that.

For us nerds, we track this stuff all the time. But, I'm wondering what the not-so-engaged annual visitor thinks.

April 2000 trip to Epcot - they see the Horizons building being demolished.

April 2001 trip to Epcot - they see the shell of the Mission:Space building.

April 2002 trip to Epcot - the building looks basically complete, wow this is taking a while, but it must be opening soon.

April 2003 trip to Epcot - looks virtually the same as a year ago. What are they doing in there? Is this thing ever going to open?

Come to think of it, they were probably conditioned to the timing by Test Track, eh?

Just a side note, M:S is getting ready to open... Disney is starting to cast for M:S roles. No official date yet, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter