Melomouse & Co. Dining Reviews 8/16-8/26 - Completed!!!!!

In all our trips, and 3 Fantasmic packages, we had never been to Mama Melrose. Right before I left, there was hollerin' on the DIS about taking away the bread and turning it into an appetizer option.

I have hesitated because of many negative reviews here - and now I can say that either the restaurant has off days or the expectation that the cooking is like Brooklyn Grandma's is over the top!

Got there 20 minutes early. Seated in 10. Enjoyed Hidden Mickey's at the podium. You pass the open brick-ovened kitchen as you walk in. DS' sensory issues were alive and well before dinner so we asked to be seated in a both and were moved from a center table. Walter was our server.

I love the decor/theming - old neighborhood Italian restaurant. Crayoned graffiti on the brick, wine bottles in the raffia bases on the ceiling, checkered tablecloths, etc. I ordered tomato/ fresh mozzarella appetizer, DD had the Caesar salad and DS ordered the Artisan bread selection. He wanted more pesto, more basil and less anchovy paste - YUK! DD loved her salad with the sliced Italian bread with melted parmesan. My salad was great!

Both kids ordered the penne pasta, a favorite at home, while I had the shrimp and pipette pasta in cream with articokes and peas. Ds's pasta was a tad undercooked from al dente and midway thru, he traded dishes with me after I removed the shrimp and the artichokes! DD's penne, meanwhile, was perfect, and I finished hers instead of DS'.

DD had her standard gelato for dessert, while DS and I had tiramisu. Not the greatest tiramisu - kind of dry, and the custard part was lacking in flavor. Presentation was lovely, tho! DD's vanilla gelato was exceptional!

Don't know why anyone rates MM as awful. Not the best, but certainly flavorful and not "bad" as it had been described. I think I might have chosen another dish and been more happy, but my dish was fine.

Up next...lol - go back up and read that awful San Angel review - that's where we suffered the next night! Next up - Le Cellier for our 2nd time - can they do it again????

The good thing about San Angel on Tuesday was that we arrived at least 30 minutes early and were seated immediately.

Wednesday evening was our surprise ADR at Le Cellier. We waited outside for 5 minutes. One of the managers, Brandon, came over and welcomed us and gave us our Illuminations Priority Viewing Card to be used on Friday nite.

I ordered a lite beer and was surprised to hear they had no Molson's. No problem - LaBatt's did fine. DD ordered the Shrimp Cocktail, ate it all, and drank some water to handle the wasabi sauce. DS and I had the cheddar cheese soup and I confirmed what I had suspected the last time - I'm really not crazy about it, despite the grand reviews. For me, the texture is grainy in the soup part. DS dipped his pretzel bread in - he has been talking about more pretzel bread for about a year now! - and did not care for the combination.

Though my filet was definitely excellent on its bed of risotto, it was as good as the one at Kona's - not the "best" in the World necessarily. The fried parsnips on top are cute, but tasteless.The entrees appeared too quickly, before we finished the appetizers, and I held up my hands and asked the server to please wait til we were finished. Suddenly Brandon as well as our server came back. I told them that tho I appreciate the fact that they were busy, I can't be rushed during such a fine dining experience.

Both of the kids had the Strip steak, DS with his sauce on the side, which even he agreed was unnecessary on such a great piece of meat. Perfectly charred on the outside, pink in the middle as ordered, these were absolutely choice cuts of meat and they thoroughly enjoyed them. This time I couldn't even begin to help them out to finish their portions. One strip steak is definitely enough for 2.

DS and I had the Creme Brulee pair and DD had vanilla ice cream. DS liked the Maple Creme Brulee best of all.

This restaurant is definitely good, but I don't know why everyone goes so crazy for it. It's noisy and dark and this was the one place I was made to feel rushed. Far superior to Yachtsman, yes, but definitely equal to say, Kona Cafe food-wise. JMHO!

Next up...Wolfgang Puck Express and Chef Mickey

So on a day it was at least 105, we get to DTD - DS insists on checking out some Japanese anime that the Japan pavilion did not have. Took the bus to the last available DTD stop by PH.

Walked into Wolfgang Puck's through the wrong door and was pointedly directed to the "Express" section, where CS entrees went up to a $15 value - talk about "bang for the buck"!

We chose Chicken Caesar salad, a wood-fired Margherita pizza, and fettucini pasta vodka with meat sauce. Wow! All superb!!! Between the three of us, refill your own beverages, the key-lime pie, the carrot cake and the giant cookie, I thought those 8:50 ressies at Chef Mickey's would come too soon.

We sat at the indoor counter and were served there when the food came up. This was the only CS I tipped for. We had the place to ourselves. Of course, it was 2:30 in the afternoon!

Chef Mickey's that evening was a disappointment food-wise. The entertainment as always, was great - with plenty of character interaction and all of them coming by multiple times. Of course, we were seated right opposite the buffet bar carving station, so it was hard to miss them!

The peel and eat shrimp were fine, as was the salad bar in general. But all of my old favorites that I loved are either dumbed down, cheaped out or simply tasteless. Pasta and chicken Alfredo with shiitakes is now an overcooked penne with microscopic ham pieces and peas. The Mickey ravioli continues its swim in waaay too much sauce. The parmesan mashed potatoes were lacking flavor. Pork loin and Prime Rib at the Carving station were okay, pork tending to be dry.

As always, the dessert bar stands out with the mini cheesecakes, mini-carrotcake, cherry cobbler and bread pudding and the make-your-own sundaes. Cleanup management of that area was much better than on previous visits - perhaps because of our late ressies. Our server clearly wanted to end his shift, as did the carver. Nonetheless, exactly as expected and DD cannot live without the characters that she enjoys at CM's every visit!!

Up next - and coming into the home stretch...Alfredo's and Le Concourse!!!LOL

Just read the "Last Supper" post on Alfredo's and felt very sad. We landed at Alfredo's last minute while on our trip due to the Teppanaki VIP stuff, getting into Le Cellier last minute and ended up with "extra" TS somehow.

We did MK in the AM, went back to WL, swam, rested, etc., and then the first rain in 24 days came. Torrentially. Thunder and lightening.Stopped for a brief window of time, during which we did NOT make it to Epcot. Climbed about a bus finally and walked through to the WS in our crocs mercifully, ponchos and many major puddles to Alfredo's. The host passed out linen napkins all around the lobby. Every person looked the same, so we didn't feel too self-conscious with our drowned rat appearance. The manager said he had a letter for me. It was yet another VIP card for preferred Illuminations viewing. Now I had two!

We were seated in the back dining room after about 15 minutes. I ordered a much needed glass of wine. DD ordered a salad appetizer, I had tomato and mozzarella, and DS tried the appetizer portion of fettucini. The kids both tried the fettucini and said they liked the "jar" better!!!:rotfl2: Fine - more for me! It was homemade the real Italian way and I suspect that that may be the reason many folks say they don't care for it. Not me - there's too much fake fettucini floating around out there in the real world - Alfredo's had the real thing!

DD made me almost fall off the chair when she ordered the Osso Bucco, while DS asked for lasagna and I had the shrimp Fettucini A la Vodka. DD tried so many new foods this trip, and I was thrilled - that was part of my thinking in getting the DDp and booking the restaurants we did. DS usually picks apart his lasagna to remove offending items - he can't take too much ricotta or meat, and in the olden days, I had been known to make him plain lasagna noodles with sauce.

Meanwhile, I saw excellent service in that all the servers helped each other out. If another server went by our table, the empty glass was picked up and refilled. Another server stopped by to discuss the alfredo sauce. Extra napkins, a dropped fork - everything was taken care of before you even knew it was a problem. My kids decided they wanted to "play" the wineglass rims and one server said he would come back and help them after dinner. And he did!!!

The pasta was perfectly cooked al dente, the shrimp were large and tender, and the sauce was delicious. DD ate into the Osso Bucco and declared it amazing! And DS...well - the entire lasagna disappeared and I had to threaten him to even try a forkful! While I am not crazy about the nutmeg in there - he was and it apparently made all the difference!

DD had her vanilla gelato and DS and I had the tiramisu. Wowee! Far superior to Mama Melrose's. Also enjoyed coffee as my "free" beverage since I had had wine OOP.

I left the largest cash tip I had left all week and spoke with the manager on the way out to let him know that he had a top-notch staff and a kitchen to match. I am so sorry that Alfredo's is closing, and also that I never got there previously. It is true Italian cooking and hospitality and will be a loss to the Epcot diners.

Up next.. Concourse..worth the wait????

I am excited to hear your review of Concourse, We have reservations there this October and it is the one I am most nervous about!! Loving your reports so far!!

The last night of our trip I tried to move the Concourse ADR up so we could get in a last few hours at MK. No luck. We showed up 20 minutes early. No beepers. Was told to come back in 10 minutes for a beeper. No beeper. 20 minutes later, we got a beeper. Three host/type CM's were sitting around the podium area. Seemed disorganized and chaotic.

After another 20 minutes past the ADR time, DS hangs over the wine showcase and asks a female CM if he can possibly get a table because he is very hungry.(Remeber, this is my Aspie DS - he speaks his mind) There are three empty tables that we can see - and they've been empty for awhile. The CM he had grabbed sprung to action, started moving around and we were seated in 5 minutes!

Once seated, all was well, but there were still 3 empty tables and many waiting outside. We were seated in a half booth. DS ordered a smoothie. I ordered a lite beer, DD coke. We enjoyed our appetizers of Onion Rings, Honey chicken wings for DD, and yet another tomato mozzarella salad.Wonderful soft fresh mozzarella..mmmm. They brought DS a different sauce for his onion rings. For our entrees, I ordered the filet mignon. It was served with Mediteranean bread salad, which was croutons soaked in a tomato/vinegarette. Not very good. The filet was fine - on a par with the one at Le Cellier and Kona's, but that bread salad next to it really did not blend too well, flavor-wise. DS had the strip steak, and oredered the red wine reduction on the side, but loved it and added more. DD ordered the Chicken and Penne Pasta, but we asked if they could leave off the mushrooms and olives. This was a mistake, as the dish arrived with dry pasta, chicken, a few chopped fresh tomatoes and a dab of spinach.

However - and I will give great praise for this - when they came over to check on how the dinners were, I asked if there were any sauce available for DD. In a few minutes, a large, freshly-made bowl of Alfredo sauce arrived at her place. It had just been whipped up right then and there.

Concourse is a la carte, so a baked potato is a separate order not included on the dining plan - thus the Mediteranean bread salad. In retrospect, I just should have ordered and paid for the potato OOP, or maybe the server would've let it slide.

Dessert was creme brulee vanilla bean for me and DS, while DD scooped out her 7th bowl of vanilla gelato this trip.

Overall, Concourse was good, but the seating plans and hostessing need some changes. Again, it was more than adequate but didn't blow me away.

This concludes the Dining Review portion of our trip as far as TS restaurants.

We ate CS at Peco's Bill's, Sunshine Seasons, Roaring Forks, Beach Club Marketplace,DTD - Wolfgang Puck's Express -( which I included here) and proabably one other spot that has faded already.

This was our 2nd time w/ DDP - alas, not free like last year - but it works well for our family the way we eat now. Still, it felt like too much food. Lots of CS beverages and desserts went in our room, we used CS for breakfasts and lunches and worked like mad sometimes to use the snack credits - but how many Dole Whips can a family eat???:rotfl:

We will be using DDP on our January trip for DS' 16th and I just made the ADR's yesterday. We are repeating LeCellier and Kona.Adding Spoodles, Brown Derby, Ohana Breakfast, HDDR, and CP. DS is also requesting Flying Fish and Hollywood and Vine. We'll see. I will not return to PTC or San Angel anytime soon. Wish Alfredo's was still open.

So for the voting: Best Meals: Kona Cafe(DD and me), Le Cellier(DS)
Best Service: Alfredo's
Worst Meal: San Angel
Best Steak: tie - Kona or LeCellier

Questions? Comments? More Info? Feel free to ask!!:love:

You have me looking forward to our upcoming ressie at Mama Melrose. Thanks for taking time and writing such detailed reviews!

7 days till the magic starts!!!:cool1:
Mrs. Disney Ron

thanks for the great reviews! It's cool to read them for places we didn't eat and also to see how much I agreed with your reviews of the places we did eat in common! LOL

Thanks so much for writing them!

Laren

Thanks for the detailed restaurant reviews!

I'm a newbie, and was wondering if you could explain how you secured the preferred viewing reservation (two nonetheless!) for Illuminations. Is there a way to snag a preferred viewing reservation on my Magic Your Way base package?

13 days until I'm there!

Hi Jess -

Welcome to the DIS and good you are asking questions!!

I didn't even KNOW there was preferred Illuminations viewing until all this arose on the trip. What had happened is that I had made an ADR for the opening of the new -/refurbished restaurant in Japan, Teppan Edo, back in July for an anticipated late August opening during our trip.

Since the opening was pushed back a few months, Disney Dining called back people with ADR's. Some got these VIP offers and Le Cellier ressies (=impossible!) on the phone - I just got a call and had already known it from here anyway.

Happened to call Dining on another matter while there and they noticed the original ressie at Tappan Edo and offered me LC and the Preferred Viewing in consideration of my flexibility and understanding!:woohoo:

While I received two cards, I was told w/ the first it was only good for two days. I turned them both in when we checked in at the viewing spot.

So while there are ways, many, I'm sure, to secure preferred viewing, this was a one time thing for us and we were just very "lucky".

All that said - I am hoping I was disappointed in Illuminations because it was a rainy night - because I was absolutely unimpressed!! Next time!!

I'm going to inquire about preferred viewing the nex time I call the dining hotline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter