Melomouse & Co. Dining Reviews 8/16-8/26 - Completed!!!!!

melomouse

DIS Veteran
..... Hi All -
Figured I'd better start the dining reviews before the food memories fade and I get back to actually cooking now that we got home from 10 days just last night;) We had 10 days of the DDP for me, DS(15) and DD(11).

I always take the reviews here with a grain of salt, preferring to check things out personally and make my own decisions on restaurant choices. However - there are some things I have read here repeatedly that I will have to agree with:

1) San Angel, while in a beautiful and romantic setting, has poor lighting for menu-reading and eating for a REASON!! On our visit, the food was pretty much inedible and unidentifiable. It was sort of like a blind taste test. The margarita, however, was EXCELLENT!! I guessed that the only way the food could be good is if you were dining with friends, had a few of those cool, perfectly flavored slushy things and then didn't really care what you ate after that!!
* DD had a combination platter. I don't think that was what she ordered, but the waiter could not either hear or understand after several attempts, so we gave up, knowing we could always share. She was a good little trooper. Tried everything - one bite. The "flauta" I removed from her platter and tried to eat. Took one bite. Off taste, mystery contents, flavorless.
* DS had a "tenderloin". From what cow in what country, I don't know. He had been spoiled by previous dinners during the week. Ok, I told him - the guy gave you both rice AND mashed potatoes. Try them. Nope, even the mashed potatoes were no good.
* I had the shrimp and pasta. How could you screw up this? I eat pasta cold, al dente, mushy, sauced, unsauced. NOPE! Tried two forkfuls. Shrimp tasted metallic.
I can't even remember the appetizers. I don't want to remember the appetizers. DD said it was like a salad on top of an English muffin. DS did say the nachos were okay, but he rattled off several places at home (chains) that do better.
I took pictures. It WAS beautiful. The chairs were colorful and handpainted. It was very very noisy. We did not order dessert. I signed for my delicious Margarita and we did the boat ride, wishing we had stayed with the view from there!!
Up next... 9 awesome meals and some pretty good counter service....popcorn::

ITA with you about San Angel. It used to be a "must-do" for us but after last year's trip - never again. We pretty much had the same experience that you had. Looking forward to some great reviews!

We arrived in Orlando just past lunchtime via ME and after checking in at YC, walked on over to BeachClub Marketplace. I had a turkey sandwich and a Mickey Bar, DS had New England clam chowder as a snack credit, and I got DD a kids' meal OOP (ham & cheese wrap, pudding & juice). Bought our refillable mugs.

Our first dinner reservation on DDP was Yachtsman Steakhouse. As with all but two of our ADR's, we were seated either early or on time - in this case 5:45 PM. Guests' dress ran the gamut from silk dresses and heels to muscle shirts, shorts and Tevas. Tables were set with white linen cloth and spread out so that there was no bumping into one another. Our server, whose name escapes me, was pleasant, told us he had been working for Disney since he was 19, and gained points in my book for not only teaching DS to use the crumb sweeper on the table, but actually giving him one to take home so he could be a hit at Thanksgiving! He said the word "cool" about 30 times during the course of the meal( the server, not DS) and I guessed he hadn't been outside the World too much!!LOL!

I ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio, and also paid OOP for DD's child's strip steak ($11), She ate the whole thing and said it was tasty.I had the Shrimp Cocktail as an appetizer, while DS ordered chicken soup. He didn't like it but I found it delicious! DS went on to enjoy the NY Strip and they were able to put the wine reduction sauce on the side. He loved the sauce and they brought more when he asked.

I enjoyed the filet mignon, which was rather plain, unadorned but well charred on the outside and pink in the middle as I had ordered. I did indeed use the steak knife provided.

DS and I both had the creme brulee - our first of many this trip, and DD had her vanilla ice cream. Total check signed off to DDP before gratuity was $145 - for two. Bless you, DDP!

Up next....Prime Time Pot Roast Served in B&W!!!!

Saturday we took the boat over to MGM from YC. Hot, hot, hot.

Lunch at ABC Commissary. The food was awful here a few years ago when we visited, and not much has changed! I had a cuban sandwich which insulted Cuban cuisine and the kids had their burgers. DS complained the cheese was thrown on and unmelted. A plus - the strawberry dessert was yummy! A nice surprise!

Dinner ADR's at Prime Time at 5:10 PM. Hadn't been here in several years. We were seated about 10 minutes after we arrived - exactly at 5:10. Seated in the back room with only 3 other families, we met "cousins" from a nearby town and had some fun!

DD enjoyed her shrimp cocktail - the shrimp were huge and cold and she finished them all very quickly. DS had the onion rings, and found one to be soaked in a bunch of dried breadcrumbs. I had the fired cheese I'd read so much about, but did not like it at all. It was dry and the texture was odd. I had thought it would be a fried Boursin-type cheese that would have turned soft and melty but still cream-cheesy, but it was not.

DS had fried chicken and liked it just fine,while DD ordered pot roast, a dish she loves at home. I had the pork tenderloin in a wine glaze. It was just okay. DD tried some of the pot roast, didn't like it because she was having trouble finding the meat. When she passed it over to mommy to try, I could see why. I was stringy, fatty and awash in a sea of shredded root vegetables which made mining for the meat more impossible! Plus, there was a spice in there I don't like and don't use at home - probably thyme or fennel.

Dessert was s'mores for DD - which she finished, in spite of not finishing her dinner! DS was able to substitute a chocolate shake for his dessert and he took the end of it "to go". Because I had had a cocktail and no soft drink, I was able to order coffee with my apple cobbler a la mode. Perfect!

I'd probably skip this one next time and return to either Mama Melrose, Brown Derby, or H & V. The kitschy stuff and the antics are cute maybe once or twice, but the food just wasn't worth it anymore.

Coming up....Changing ADR's, resorts, and bonus ressies!

Day 3 - Tonite we had ADR's at California Grill. Last fall we cancelled last minute, tearfully, at the chek-in desk during FDP because DS was in on of his Asperger's early meltdowns and I was not going to enjoy my dinner, nor would I dream of subjecting other guests to even the loud voice he usually has. Tried again this time and ended up calling Dining while I did some laundry and used the YC quiet pool. Explained the situation and asked if there was any availability - anywhere. I knew about the credit card hold, but neglected to pay attention to the "fine print" clause which stated I would be charged $20 per person for this cancellation at less than 24 hrs. I told the CM that while I understood the policy, and was willing to pay some penalty, that $60 for a table they would easily rebook on a Saturday night seemed a bit unreasonable to me. She spoke with a supervisor who waived the penalty and gave me a ressie at Biergarten at 8:40 PM. Perfect! Loud, noisy, German food - maybe just like Grandma used to make!

We ate lunch at Hurricane Hannah's right at Stormalong Bay. It was chaotic, disorganized, crowded at 2:15 PM and they kept running out of things. There is no indoor seating - it is a poolside snack shack. Had a chicken Caesar and kids had chicken fingers and the ubiquitous cheeseburger. Thank goodness Mickey Bars count as dessert!

It was right after this that I went into the lobby and spoke to a Guest Services Manager about switching resorts. Al could not have been kinder, more efficient or magical as he made arrangements for us to be moved to a Courtyard room at Wilderness Lodge the following day.

We hopped on over to Epcot and got to Biergarten a few minutes early and were seated with 2 other families. I loved the atmosphere - but boy was the oomph band loud!! The size of the place is enormous - the band was onstage and a huge dance floor in front was filled with kids and families doing the chicken dance. Tried in vain to make introductions at the table and give our drink orders but could barely be heard. This was TOO loud for DS. Luckily, when it came time to go up to the buffet, the band took a much-welcomed break!

Oh MY! Sauerbraten and rouladen and spaetzle and frikadellen and schnitzel and baked chicken and carved pork roast and bratwurst and two gravies, red cabbage and carrots and sauerkraut! Green salad,potato salad, macaroni salad. Followed by Bavarian cheesecake, vanilla pudding, black forest cake and strudel!

Not quite like Grandma's - or even mine:rotfl: - but VERY, very good! ALL of it!!! And so we rolled on out, taking a long walk back to our resort launch.

Up next - moving day, a missed ADR and a surprising treat!

I'm hooked, love your review so far! Can I ask why you decided to switch resorts?

Enjoying your reviews so far and looking forward to more. :mickeybar

Oh no! Thread ended up on page 2 - I am too slow.;)

Sunday we switched to WL from YC. "Breakfast" was the Kitchen Sink @ Beaches and Cream, as soon as it opened. They took DD and DS behind the counter to add the toppings. It's a big production - they turn off the lights and make an announcement so you really feel like a hog!!!:lmao:

With only 7 or 8 scoops of ice cream and at least that many - and more toppings - it becomes a messy, ugly, unappetizing soup very quickly.

But.. it's something you just HAVE to do once...:banana:

WL checkin takes forever because they don't really know how to do it in the computer properly. Our luggage is there, the room isn't ready til 5. Meanwhile, somehow there is a window where the cards from YC are still active and they haven't switched over to WL yet, where new ones will be issued. CM tells us to go to Roaring Forks. DS has a pizza, DD has chicken fingers, I have a hand-mixed salad. Then, of course, the 4x normal sized frosted brownie, a Magic cookie Bar and a Mickey Bar. Yah. Time for a nap when the room is ready, and we nap right thru our Spoodles ADR.

In a panic that we should actually MISS a meal, I call Dining. She secures a 9:20 ressie at Kona Cafe, notices my missing Wednesday ressie for Tappan Edo, gives me Le Cellier for dinner on Wednesday,Alfredo's for Friday, cancels the existing ressie for lunch on Friday at LC, then tells me of my preferred viewing for Illuminations. I knew of all this Tappan Edo cancellation VIP stuff before we left but just let it go. Magical!!!:cloud9:

Have stopped in Kona's years ago and left, knowing back then my kids would not eat anything. By far, I have to say this was one of the very best meals EVER and a tie for the best the whole 10 days! Far superior to Yachtsman, 1 credit. The only difference was, obviously, the atmosphere and absence of tablecloths! But what could be bad about strolling thru the Poly??

DD spied the desserts as she came in, and asked for the Kona Kone for dessert. This was after she finished her soup, and very first Prime Rib, which she LOVED and finsihed entirely. DS had chicken wings and was making "yum" sounds as he was eating, and I enjoyed the crab cake appetizers - WOW!!! I had a perfect filet here - better than YS hands down and even... do I dare??....:rolleyes:

bettter than the filet at Le Cellier!!!! This was truly fork-cutting filet mignon, perfectly sauced and falling apart at a touch! DS had a strip steak and was happy. And of course the creme brulee was perfect!!! Crispy crust, flavorful..mmm. DD was thrilled with her volcano - her favorite thing is cotton candy and for her to find it wrapped around her ice cream just blew her away!

Between that dessert and her flashing Tink from her beverage, DD was totally pixiedusted and insisted that Kona will be a must do every future visit!

Next up..oooh Mama!!

Thanks for the reviews, they are great! I agree that Kona is a great place, I am glad that you found it and enjoyed it so much!

It was interesting what you wrote about Biergarten as you seem to know German food. Being German myself I am always intrigued by this restaurant, but I guess for me there are so many more "exotic" restaurants that it will be some time until I actually get around to eat a meal there.

Floss..
Exactly! This was our 7th trip - I think I've cancelled 2 previous ADR's at Biergarten, but I was glad I finally tried it, and would probably do it again over some others - like Marrakesh or Nine Dragons?
Definitely worth checking out if you have room..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter