McDonalds Workers in New York Striking

....Since when are the workers unionized? If not, how can they "strike"? Otherwise it's just people not showing up for work which is a good way to get fired.

That's what I was thinking as well. If they are unionized, they should stop paying union dues so they can afford their rent.

Since when are McDonald's workers unionized? Where I live if they don't show up to work they are fired and new people are hired. Only if all potential applicants refuse to work for such a wage will they raise it. It's the law of supply and demand. Seriously, I wouldn't want to do such tedious work for such little pay. That's why I waited tables instead as a student.

Bolding mine.

Okay, seriously? A lot of people who work at McDonald's ARE going to school while they work. Even if they aren't who are you to judge them for working there? Minimum wage in NYC will barely cover rent, and that's even if you are lucky. I lived there for a short period of time and had to come home because even working two full time fast food jobs wouldn't have been enough to really make ends meat. Now consider that a lot of the people can't just leave NYC to go home, because the city IS their home. What do they do then?

Having worked at Mickey D's, I ca tell you that it's not always easy. Sure, it doesn't require a whole lot of skill, but it does require a thick skin (working with the public and people like you in particular that insult them) and hard work. These aren't just teenagers who need a little extra cash working there, but mothers and fathers too. How do you expect them to pay for a college degree if they can barely put food on the table?

Instead of looking down on people who are WORKING to make a living, why don't you look at the whole situation? I'm not saying that they should automatically get their pay doubled, but it should be up to negotiation. It looks other fast food workers are making more than that:

The Huffington Post article said $8.90, so let's just assume it's somewhere around there. That's almost $2 more an hour, which for a lot of people would make a bug difference. And also consider that (in my experience) most people aren't pulling full time hours as that would mean they would be eligible for full time benefits. So just imagine pulling in $200-$300 a week (minus taxes of course), paying for health insurance, maybe school supplies, food, and rent. Could you do it, or would you try to get a raise if at all possible?

Obviously you didn't read my second post, where I already conceded the fact that people working at McDonald's may still be going to school.

Sorry you feel that I'm judging McDonald's workers for working there, that simply is not the case. I applaud anyone for working, no matter what the job. Teacher, lawyer, fast food worker, restaurant server, cook, farmer, ditch digger...whatever. So I'm certainly not "looking down" on them as you put it. Just because I think a fast food restaurant job doesn't warrant DOUBLE what minimum wage pays, doesn't mean I'm "looking down" on them.

Minimum wage was not created to make sure people could afford their rent in NYC, it was created to ensure employees received fair pay for the work they provided.

However, for the rest of the workforce in the city, wages are based at least partially on cost of living. I could make 50% than I do right now if I were willing to commute three hours a day into New York City. :confused3

There is no way you can survive in New York City on $7/hour.

That's why you get roommates and also why you need to view entry level work as just that - the level at which you ENTER the workforce, not the level at which you choose to stay.

Since when are McDonald's workers unionized? Where I live if they don't show up to work they are fired and new people are hired. Only if all potential applicants refuse to work for such a wage will they raise it. It's the law of supply and demand. Seriously, I wouldn't want to do such tedious work for such little pay. That's why I waited tables instead as a student.

It seems they, as a group, are saying we don't make enough. Now the ball is in corporate's court. It's easy enough to say that McDonalds should just fire them and hire new, but are they going to find workers who are willing to cross the picket line for minimum wage??? Maybe yes, maybe no. Also, are customers (many who may be union members elsewhere) willing to cross a picket line to buy their burgers at that particular McDonalds? Probably not (so loss of customer base) Are corporate heads, who would be sympathetic to the corporate cause, willing to eat at McDonalds as a sign of support? Highly unlikely. It looks like McDonalds is going to have to do some number crunching. Maybe they can come back with a fair offer that makes the workers feel appreciated for their labors yet still make a fair profit for themselves.

I think cost of living should make a difference in minimum wage. 7.25 an hour might be enough to rent a place in Mississippi,but not even lose where I live in New England. But that's why McDonalds can't get help in my area. They are always hiring because most places here, even fast food and retail, pay more than the minimum wage.

It does. Minimum wage varies by state.

Sorry, but if you do unskilled labor, you get unskilled pay. And if you don't think that is fair and decide to "strike", you can be replaced by other unskilled workers. Reminds me of the grocery store workers union strike a few years back. Oh, I wish I was making that up.

It's easy enough to say that McDonalds should just fire them and hire new, but are they going to find workers who are willing to cross the picket line for minimum wage???

I'm not sure about NYC, but where I live there are plenty of teenagers, students, and retirees who wouldn't think twice about taking the job. They don't care why they last guy left.

Also, are customers (many who may be union members elsewhere) willing to cross a picket line to buy their burgers at that particular McDonalds?

I don't think the average McD's customer is even thinking about "crossing the picket line" when they drive through for their morning burrito or a Happy Meal for their screaming child... at least not where I live.

Also, are customers (many who may be union members elsewhere) willing to cross a picket line to buy their burgers at that particular McDonalds? Probably not (so loss of customer base)

Union members will likely not cross a picket line.

These McDonalds employees are NOT on a picket line. These employees are not "on strike."

These are people just refusing to do what they were hired to do.

They agreed to their wages, and its not cold and cruel to expect them to fulfill their end of the bargain.

If I'm not mistaken, if I were to walk into McD's in NYC, I believe I would not expect to find a hamburger to cost the same as it would at a McD's in Albany or Rochester. If it's reasonable to expect the food to cost more for the location, why shouldn't some of the largesse go to the people working to get the food to the customers? Does the workforce of the NYC McD's pay more in taxes, transportation & other costs than the McD's worker in Albany or Rochester?

If they don't like the wages, quit and find another job that will pay you an acceptable wage. I think striking is ridiculous when there are other places to work. It's not like McDonald's is the only place these people can get a job.

I think people don't like the fact that they have to work for a higher wage. If you want more money, work hard and you can work your way up or go to school and learn a trade or get a degree.

But, they are entitled.:rolleyes1

If I'm not mistaken, if I were to walk into McD's in NYC, I believe I would not expect to find a hamburger to cost the same as it would at a McD's in Albany or Rochester. If it's reasonable to expect the food to cost more for the location, why shouldn't some of the largesse go to the people working to get the food to the customers? Does the workforce of the NYC McD's pay more in taxes, transportation & other costs than the McD's worker in Albany or Rochester?

What the employee has to pay to get to work does not usually figure directly into the owner's budget. For instance, I pay $250 per month for a transit pass. Should I get paid more than the employee who pays $120 or less than the employee who pays $280?

I pay $2.56 for an XL cup of tea at Dunkin Dounuts in Boston. In my suburban town I only pay $1.39. The extra .16 cents does not do to the Boston employee but to higher meal taxes.

McD's does require the stores to keep the same price on certain items such as its dollar menu. I seem to remember a fuss a couple of years ago because some stores lost money due to these items when the store had a higher overhead than other stores. If I remember correctly the store in NYC was one mentioned in the story.

Corporate greed is usually the easiest answer, though rarely the correct one. :sad2: Try looking at the big picture.
I'm pretty sure that the taxes owed on the land the McD's sits on in NYC are much higher than the taxes for your hypothetical McD's in Albany. same goes for the cost of the land itself. Probably astronomically higher, depending on where in the city it is located. Shipment of the components of said burgers are probably higher in NYC, due to more permits needed and special delivery times for trucks to be allowed to deliver into the City. More city traffic = more gas said delivery trucks are burning, adding yet another cost to the operation of a NYC McDonald's.

It does. Minimum wage varies by state.

Sorry, but if you do unskilled labor, you get unskilled pay. And if you don't think that is fair and decide to "strike", you can be replaced by other unskilled workers. Reminds me of the grocery store workers union strike a few years back. Oh, I wish I was making that up.

Yep, definitely varies by state. Texas minimum wage is the federal minimum wage, currently $7.25. The local McDonald's was hiring at $8.50/hr.

The employees will probably NOT be able to picket, since they almost certainly aren't unionized. That means that they're blocking the sidewalk, creating a public nuisance, disturbing the peace... Take your pick.

It IS hard to believe, though, that a McDonalds in NYC is paying minimum wage at $7.00 an hour. Does anybody know what the "official" minimum wage is in NY? And is it different in NYC?

Corporate greed is usually the easiest answer, though rarely the correct one. :sad2: Try looking at the big picture.
I'm pretty sure that the taxes owed on the land the McD's sits on in NYC are much higher than the taxes for your hypothetical McD's in Albany. same goes for the cost of the land itself. Probably astronomically higher, depending on where in the city it is located. Shipment of the components of said burgers are probably higher in NYC, due to more permits needed and special delivery times for trucks to be allowed to deliver into the City. More city traffic = more gas said delivery trucks are burning, adding yet another cost to the operation of a NYC McDonald's.

Yes, it's more expensive to run a business in NYC, but they have a higher customer base as well so I'm sure it equals out. If it didn't, no one would open a business in the city.
I don't know what the income/expenses look like at that particular McDonalds but if a company can afford to pay a fair wage AND still make a fair profit I think they should do so. It's easy to just brush it off as it only being worth 7.00 an hour and if the employee doesn't like it they should just go elsewhere.(as if there are all these great paying jobs just waiting for employees to get tired of working at McDonalds) But the reality is that, in many cases, we the tax payer get to subsidise poverty wages in the form of food stamps, and dependent aid. I don't think it's fair that corporate heads should be allowed to collect massive profits, while expecting the tax payers to make up the difference.

Heard on the news this morning that McDonalds workers in New York City are striking. They make minimum wage (not sure of the exact amount, but it's over $7/hour) and what do they want? Double that!! :eek:

Seriously? Good grief! :rolleyes2

I can understand a small yearly raise, but to double it? Ridiculous. If they want more money, go to college, learn a skill and get a better paying job.

I rarely support anyone on strike, and sure don't support this one at all.

I actually agree with the strike. I can not fathom how anyone can live off of $7 a hour and even double is not that much there. McDonalds like Wal-Mart brings in millions of dollars, and yet they pay their workers peanuts while their executives live like Kings!

I am suprised fast food workers have not started unions myself. Because without these little worker bees, places like Wal-Mart and McDonalds would not be able to service folks. All they want is a working living wage, and I do not blame them when you look at what the companies are bringing in, they can afford to do more for their workers.

I am suprised fast food workers have not started unions myself. Because without these little worker bees, places like Wal-Mart and McDonalds would not be able to service folks. All they want is a working living wage, and I do not blame them when you look at what the companies are bringing in, they can afford to do more for their workers.

Unions are definately the answer. The union will negotiatea $3/hr payraise of which union dues will be nearly that much. So now the company execs continue to live like kings and the union organizers and officers live like princes, and the worker bees continue to be paupers as the price of goods increase. So the winner is the union officers/organizers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter