McDonalds Workers in New York Striking

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
Heard on the news this morning that McDonalds workers in New York City are striking. They make minimum wage (not sure of the exact amount, but it's over $7/hour) and what do they want? Double that!! :eek:

Seriously? Good grief! :rolleyes2

I can understand a small yearly raise, but to double it? Ridiculous. If they want more money, go to college, learn a skill and get a better paying job.

I rarely support anyone on strike, and sure don't support this one at all.

I guess it depends on the market. I've seen some FF places advertise well over minimum wage because they couldn't get enough help. But if there are others who want those jobs, the strikers will have no leverage. It's all about supply and demand.

I guess it depends on the market. I've seen some FF places advertise well over minimum wage because they couldn't get enough help. But if there are others who want those jobs, the strikers will have no leverage. It's all about supply and demand.

Totally agree. It's pretty hard to do much of anything on minimum wage in New York City. I doubt anyone there expects to make a living from a McDonald's job but if the McDonald's there can't depend on kids living at home to work there, they may be forced to pay more if the workers strike.

Heard on the news this morning that McDonalds workers in New York City are striking. They make minimum wage (not sure of the exact amount, but it's over $7/hour) and what do they want? Double that!! :eek:

Seriously? Good grief! :rolleyes2

I can understand a small yearly raise, but to double it? Ridiculous. If they want more money, go to college, learn a skill and get a better paying job.

I rarely support anyone on strike, and sure don't support this one at all.

who says they are not going to school? what does one thing have to do with the other.

I work, I want to be paid compensation for the work I do. whether or not I'm in school, playing tiddlie winks or boozing it up at home has absolutely no bearing on what I should or should not be paid.

Now, as far as striking. Hey if you feel that you are underpaid than you have every right to express you dissatisfaction.

I never brought into that "economy is doing bad" excuse for not getting a raise, and I campaigned each and every year for a bonus and a raise BASED on my job performance. I have gotten one (averaging 3-4%) every year.

Sorry I don't allow employees to walk over me, I bring skills and value to a company whether its mickey d's or the fortune 500 I work for now.

If the employees at this mcdonalds feel they are grossly underpaid and no in in NYC could possibly live off of 7 bucks an hour then go for it. Personally I'm wondering what Mcdonalds this is. My niece works for Pizza hut in queens and she's at 10 bucks an hour.

BUT they have to be willing to take the consequences.

who says they are not going to school? what does one thing have to do with the other.

I work, I want to be paid compensation for the work I do. whether or not I'm in school, playing tiddlie winks or boozing it up at home has absolutely no bearing on what I should or should not be paid.

Now, as far as striking. Hey if you feel that you are underpaid than you have every right to express you dissatisfaction.

I never brought into that "economy is doing bad" excuse for not getting a raise, and I campaigned each and every year for a bonus and a raise BASED on my job performance. I have gotten one (averaging 3-4%) every year.

Sorry I don't allow employees to walk over me, I bring skills and value to a company whether its mickey d's or the fortune 500 I work for now.

If the employees at this mcdonalds feel they are grossly underpaid and no in in NYC could possibly live off of 7 bucks an hour then go for it. Personally I'm wondering what Mcdonalds this is. My niece works for Pizza hut in queens and she's at 10 bucks an hour.

You're right, maybe they are going to school if they are working part-time at McDonald's. I was thinking more about the full-time McDonald's employee. But there are probably more part-time McDonald's workers than there are full-time.

I still don't think they should get DOUBLE minimum wage, or strike toTRY and get it. I think that's asking for too much.

I think the last line sums it up for me. If you're worth more, take that chance. It's your right. OTOH, don't come crying to me when the employer calls your bluff and fires everyone.

Have you ever been to a McDonalds? Do you really think that the "work performance" you have experienced there deserves a 100% raise?

Do you think striking for a dollar or fifty cents an hour would be effective? Double isn't reasonable from an employer POV, but I bet there's some room for negotiation.

Have you ever been to a McDonalds? Do you really think that the "work performance" you have experienced there deserves a 100% raise?

But the Chicken/Bacon wrap is so difficult and requires more skill to make...;)

If they don't like the wages, quit and find another job that will pay you an acceptable wage. I think striking is ridiculous when there are other places to work. It's not like McDonald's is the only place these people can get a job.

I think people don't like the fact that they have to work for a higher wage. If you want more money, work hard and you can work your way up or go to school and learn a trade or get a degree.

I'm assuming you've been to every McDonald's in the world and have decided that they all don't deserve a raise? I just don't like open ended blanket statements. (all cops are bad, all state workers are lazy).

All 4 of my kids worked in fast food while going to college. My daughter is still there as a manager after 12 years (been trying to get her to fill out applications for government jobs but she enjoys it...go figure?). From what they have talked about, McD's (around here anyway, not speaking for everywhere) has the most strict cleanliness requirements of which does take hard work. My daughter does make over 100% of their wage plus some and not in that high cost of living area. Dealing with people all day long, cleaning grease etc is not my cup of easy work. Granted it's not college level skills but I've also seen college level people slack and not doing work. I personally believe $7 for NYC is a crappy wage whether it's McD's or any establishment there. After all, McD's is not allowed to have a tip cup. LOL

Anyway, I just hate the bashing of McD workers as if they are all worthless and can't find other jobs. They are drilled on safe food handling and one would be hard pressed to find a McD's who ever didn't throw away food that came back over the counter for a correction as I've seen at other fast food places. (they forget the tomato so they just add it. McD's has to throw it away and start new).

You're right, maybe they are going to school if they are working part-time at McDonald's. I was thinking more about the full-time McDonald's employee. But there are probably more part-time McDonald's workers than there are full-time.

I still don't think they should get DOUBLE minimum wage, or strike toTRY and get it. I think that's asking for too much.

Even if they work full time they could be going to school. A lot of people go to school while working full time. :confused3

I'm assuming you've been to every McDonald's in the world and have decided that they all don't deserve a raise? I just don't like open ended blanket statements. (all cops are bad, all state workers are lazy).

All 4 of my kids worked in fast food while going to college. My daughter is still there as a manager after 12 years (been trying to get her to fill out applications for government jobs but she enjoys it...go figure?). From what they have talked about, McD's (around here anyway, not speaking for everywhere) has the most strict cleanliness requirements of which does take hard work. My daughter does make over 100% of their wage plus some and not in that high cost of living area. Dealing with people all day long, cleaning grease etc is not my cup of easy work. Granted it's not college level skills but I've also seen college level people slack and not doing work. I personally believe $7 for NYC is a crappy wage whether it's McD's or any establishment there. After all, McD's is not allowed to have a tip cup. LOL

Anyway, I just hate the bashing of McD workers as if they are all worthless and can't find other jobs. They are drilled on safe food handling and one would be hard pressed to find a McD's who ever didn't throw away food that came back over the counter for a correction as I've seen at other fast food places. (they forget the tomato so they just add it. McD's has to throw it away and start new).

Clearly I have not visited every McDonalds in the world. But I have visited McDonalds throughout two continents and in my experience, I receive consistently bad service. I don't think that every person who works at McDonalds is lazy or unmotivated or bad at their job. I didn't say anything remotely close to that. I think that McDonalds has very low standards for work ethic and pays accordingly. That was my point.

Clearly I have not visited every McDonalds in the world. But I have visited McDonalds throughout two continents and in my experience, I receive consistently bad service. I don't think that every person who works at McDonalds is lazy or unmotivated or bad at their job. I didn't say anything remotely close to that. I think that McDonalds has very low standards for work ethic and pays accordingly. That was my point.

Strange, I'm not a frequent customer of McDonald's, but I have been there a lot throughout my life (and I've been to their establishments in three continents, now that I think about it) and I don't remember once getting bad service. :confused3 When I go for fast food, I expect to place my order and receive it in a realtively short time, and that is what I get just about every time I go to McDonald's. They don't exceed my expectations, but they certainly meet them, and consistently.

As for the NYC McDonald's workers' strike, if they feel they aren't being treated fairly, then they have every right to strike. And no, they don't expect their pay to double; they are using that as a starting point so there'll be some wiggle room.

World, I worked in Mcdonalds on Jamaica Ave in queens NY. I also worked at Macy's 34st and Walmart here in South Jersey.

Let me say this loud and clear. THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF MONEY WORTH PUTTING UP WITH THE BS THAT JOHN Q. PUBLIC hands to workers.
People talk about welfare queens well I am here to say I would go on welfare, walk the streets, dig ditches, pole dance and probably any thing else before I ever got another job working with the public.

Heck, I see how people treat the cm's at Disney and think they are sooo underpaid.

Now I'm with Kay, I don't honestly think that they expect to get a 100% raise. many times it's primarily to get peoples attention. which it has, we're talking about it. Now they can bring attention to what they feel are unacceptable working conditions and benefits.

McDonald's is fast food. It's supposed to be an entry level job for minimum wage, not a career. Those that I know who have a career with McDonald's started at minimum wage and worked their way up to mgr positions. Most people I know worked fast food when in HS and college, but so many parents today think their kids are too good to do it. It's mainly become an employer of immigrants and retirees looking to supplement their incomes. Not entirely, but it has changed a lot.

Since when are the workers unionized? If not, how can they "strike"? Otherwise it's just people not showing up for work which is a good way to get fired.

World, I worked in Mcdonalds on Jamaica Ave in queens NY. I also worked at Macy's 34st and Walmart here in South Jersey.

Let me say this loud and clear. THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF MONEY WORTH PUTTING UP WITH THE BS THAT JOHN Q. PUBLIC hands to workers.
People talk about welfare queens well I am here to say I would go on welfare, walk the streets, dig ditches, pole dance and probably any thing else before I ever got another job working with the public.

I'm not sure that one should be one of your options if you don't want to deal with what John Q Public hands to you :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter