MAY WISH Goals - Monthly Thread

lovesmurfs

DIS Veteran
Spring has FINALLY sprung!! Looking forward to more exercise outside!

It's almost the new month! Everyone should think about their weight loss/health goals for May. I'm Cheryl and will be navigating you throughout the month.

Please take a moment to introduce yourself and what your goal is for the month. Each weekend we will report our progress toward our goals and I will update this post to include your name and goal / progress.

Each weekday we'll have a different topic that I'll post, following the following schedule.

Motivation Monday
Topic Tuesday
Woo Hoo Wednesday
Topic Thursday
Free-for-All Friday (potluck)

Best wishes for a great last day of April and a merry, merry month of May!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
May Members (feel free to join at anytime -- just let me know your goal for May!)
  • @HappyGrape (Nia) - TBD
  • @ANforever1030 (Nathan) - walk daily during breaks; reach strength goals (250 lb squat, 235 lb deadlift, 160 lb benchpress); lose 11 lbs
  • @luvpoohandcompany - menu planning
  • @sweetpeama (Tammy) - eat only when hungry, not for stress
  • @Flossbolna (Magdalene) - 15,000 kcal deficit (average 500 kcal/day)
  • @Oneanne (Lizanne) - lose 5 lbs; walk 100 miles; fruits/veggies 5 days/week
  • @4Mickeys (Sam) - TBD
  • @piglet1979 (Stephanie) - lost 5 lbs
  • @glss1/2fll (Linda) - increase steps by 500/day; work on planning weekends
  • @DisLiss (Lissa) - start moving and increase activity daily
  • @Arazia (Zia) - lose 8.7 pounds (to get into the 250's)
  • @lovesmurfs - lose 15 pounds

Last edited:
Guess I should introduce myself.

I'm Cheryl. I started this LAST EVER weight loss journey in mid September 2017, with the purchase of a FitBit, and NO motivation to lose weight, even though I was at 305 pounds. But I joined Noom (calorie counting/coaching app), and decided to work. Every day I've added "just a little bit more" and started listening to various podcasts to get my brain in gear.

My initial step goal was 2,500, and it's now 10,000/day. I joined a fitness center and continue to count calories. To date, I've lost 81.8 pounds, with about 60 more to go (unless I decide to go to 70).

April bombed in terms of my weight goal, but I ended 7.2 pounds lower than I started (my goal was 10 pounds lost). So I'm doing a BHAG (big, hairy audacious goal) of 15 pounds to lose for May.

Hello, I'm Nathan.

I started following last month's thread midway, and never posted. However, in the past the W.I.S.H. forums helped me lose pre-honeymoon weight, and I'm hoping that it can help me as my wife and I prepare for a cruise on our 3rd Anniversary in October. At the end of March, I began using the 5x5 Strong Lifts program to work out, lose weight, and build muscle. I love food, and limiting my caloric intake is always a struggle. However, at the start of April I weighed in at 322 pounds. As of this morning, I'm down to 314 pounds. I currently have several goals. Long term I would like to drop below 230 pounds, but by the time I go on my cruise I would like to be below 260 pounds - my honeymoon weight. So, to reach that goal, I need to lose, on average, 10-11 pounds a month.

My goals for May are: continue taking daily walks on my breaks; reach my strength goals of 250 lb squat, 235 lb deadlift, and 160 lb bench press; lose 11 lbs.

Welcome!

Happy Topic Tuesday! Tell us one thing you can do today to get yourself where you want to be.

I've decided to step up my exercise on the fitness center treadmill to an hour a day - I've also found some treadmill workouts to help boost my cardio stuff. Today I woke up at 3:45 a.m. so that I could get the 4:19 train and then walk from Union Station to my office.

Here now, and getting ready to go to the fitness center! Have a great day, everyone! I'll catch up the first post with everyone's goals later in the week.

I am Tammy. My goal this month is to weigh less at the end of the month than the beginning. The biggest challenge is to not go to stress eating. The end of April was filled with a lot of stress. 4/18 found out that our basement had flooded-still working on getting stuff out, sorted as to what is salvageable and getting it to the storage unit (no work done yesterday or today due to rain showers as can not have boxes in back of the truck with no protection). 4/19 a good friend that I grew up with was killed being hit by a 1 ton truck (His Dad was my Dad's Best Man so our families have known each other for over 50 years) with his memorial service on 4/27. Got home from the service sat down to watch youtube and do some designing on my home design game app on my phone to discover a missed call and a text message from my husband's older brother. Called him back to find out that they had found a blood clot on the right side of my father in law's brain and he was being taken in for emergency brain surgery. Brother in law needed to know how to get a hold of my husband at his work. Ended up with my younger brother in law going to my husband's work to find him to give him the news. Still working on getting my husband to get me emergency numbers because my answer is call the local sheriffs office and have them send a deputy over to tell him to call his wife immediately. Father in law was moved to a regular room this morning so is improving. I need a much less stressful month this month.

I am Tammy. My goal this month is to weigh less at the end of the month than the beginning. The biggest challenge is to not go to stress eating. The end of April was filled with a lot of stress. 4/18 found out that our basement had flooded-still working on getting stuff out, sorted as to what is salvageable and getting it to the storage unit (no work done yesterday or today due to rain showers as can not have boxes in back of the truck with no protection). 4/19 a good friend that I grew up with was killed being hit by a 1 ton truck (His Dad was my Dad's Best Man so our families have known each other for over 50 years) with his memorial service on 4/27. Got home from the service sat down to watch youtube and do some designing on my home design game app on my phone to discover a missed call and a text message from my husband's older brother. Called him back to find out that they had found a blood clot on the right side of my father in law's brain and he was being taken in for emergency brain surgery. Brother in law needed to know how to get a hold of my husband at his work. Ended up with my younger brother in law going to my husband's work to find him to give him the news. Still working on getting my husband to get me emergency numbers because my answer is call the local sheriffs office and have them send a deputy over to tell him to call his wife immediately. Father in law was moved to a regular room this morning so is improving. I need a much less stressful month this month.

Oh, my goodness, Tammy! I'm so sorry about your April! Best wishes for your father-in-law and your family.

One of the things that Corrine Crabtree (Phit-N-Phat) says is that while overeating might make you feel better in the short term, in the long term, it's somewhat dishonoring to the relationship if you eat through the bad times. She gave an example about a client whose sister had a cancer diagnosis and the client wanted to binge eat. Corrine noted that overeating wouldn't be helpful to her sister, and said that it minimizes the relationship that she has with her. Just a perspective.

You've got this!

I am here! My name is Magdalene. I have been struggling with weight for a long time. I tend to bounce around a BMI of 25 to 27, but want to get lower. Currently I am just above 27 and need to get down again. I seem to be losing the same kilos every year... But I am keeping active and eating well more and More and am determined to finally get to my goal weight.

My challenge this month is that I will have surgery on my sinuses next week and will be less able to exercise for a while. But that should not prevent me from tracking my food! I am planning on 500kcal deficit per day on average, so 15.000 kcal deficit in total. I will take whatever the scale makes if that in the end...

Hi all... I'm still Lizanne and still struggling with my weight and healthy living in general. I think I'm going to roll over my April goals, since only one of them was met:

- lose 5 pounds
- walk 100 miles
- drink my fruits and veggies at least 5 days per pweek

The trip to the beach for my Sister's party was a lot of fun... it was a good break in routine for me, which I really needed. A lot of people showed up which was great because that's something that's really important to her. It was just family Friday and it was nice to go to dinner together and chat. Even the drives to-and-from were wonderfully relaxing with very little traffic, even in the usually dodgy spots. And Saturday during the actual party the weather cleared and it was nice and sunny.

Getting out of my usual routine helped me to sort a few things out... lately I've been very concerned about my energy levels and my lack of focus. I've changed up a few of the supplements I take, adding one for better mental clarity and eliminating one I had been taking for sleep. I also realized I had stopped taking the stuff my doctor gave me for adrenal support, thinking it was the herbal allergy supplement... what a goof! I'm starting to feel better on all accounts.

This afternoon I get my brows done. I'm a tad bit nervous, because brows are so important... a lot of talking will be going on before I let her do anything. Hopefully I'll be giving a woohoo for the results tomorrow!

We used to do this every May Day... make paper cones, rip some flowers out of my Mom's garden and hang them on the front door, ring the bell and then run around to the back. I don't think she ever figured out it was us... upload_2018-5-1_12-20-55.png

Hi everyone,

I am Sam - for those who are new this month - I join in the chatter from Australia.

As a younger person who was thin and ate anything she wanted - I never imagined being this overweight and struggling with it. But here I am mid 40s and in a place I don't want to be and really struggling to handle it. I struggle to stick to goals and really see results. For example last year I knew I had a year until my son's senior high school year and said I need to drop considerable weight so that I could be happier with how I would look in pictures with him and have a nice outfit I felt good in (rather than awful and ashamed of the label size) - but here I am his formal (prom) is here this month - parents go for and hour and a half at the start for drinks and to share the start of the night - I haven't got an outfit yet - as I am struggling to find something that fits and looks nice and I think I am heavier than last year! I know I won't be able to drop anything significant in 3 weeks now - but I am so disappointed in myself.

I need to think about my overall goal for the month a little more and will post it later - but I really want to get a start, stick to it and hopefully will drop some weight before the end of the year when he graduates. Our school years run end of January to the start of December - but year 12s finish in Mid November after their final exams and grad ceremonies.

Today I woke up at 3:45 a.m. so that I could get the 4:19 train and then walk from Union Station to my office.

wow that is dedicated - well done!!

Happy Topic Tuesday! Tell us one thing you can do today to get yourself where you want to be.

Make a healthy choice at lunch time today - I have not been off to a good start with that this week.

Sorry to hear April was so bad. I hope your father-in-law continues to recover well from surgery.

We used to do this every May Day... make paper cones, rip some flowers out of my Mom's garden and hang them on the front door, ring the bell and then run around to the back. I don't think she ever figured out it was us...

What a wonderful memory - so sweet you did that for you mum.

Hi all... I'm still Lizanne and still struggling with my weight and healthy living in general.

When I read your posts last month - again I was so reminded of how similar we are at times with our struggle on this healthy journey.

I have a funny story from the weekend - I was looking for an outfit for the before mentioned DS's upcoming formal - so I am in a dressing room trying on dresses in a shop for 'bigger women' DD is sitting in the room with me. She remembers in my bag is her left-over m&ms from the movies the day before - takes them out and starts eating - then kindly offers me some - I laughed and said - I know you mean well sweetheart but I am trying on dresses that make me feel horrible because their size I don't need to be eating chocolate while I'm doing it! we both had a giggle. But the positive of the story I guess was that I said No.

We had all seen Avengers Infinity War - all I'm going to say is OMG.

I am in for another month. I am Stephanie. I have been married for 13 years and have 2 kids. DS just turned 12 and DD is 10. Both kids keep me very busy which leaves little time to get in a good work out. My plan it to lose 5 pounds this month.

Welcome!

I've decided to step up my exercise on the fitness center treadmill to an hour a day - I've also found some treadmill workouts to help boost my cardio stuff. Today I woke up at 3:45 a.m. so that I could get the 4:19 train and then walk from Union Station to my office.

Here now, and getting ready to go to the fitness center! Have a great day, everyone! I'll catch up the first post with everyone's goals later in the week.

Today, I was able to get in a walk while DD was at soccer practice. For me it is finding places and times to get some works in. Yesterday it was playing soccer with DD while DS was at baseball practice and boy did she made me run. I plan on keeping this up.

thanks, lovesmurfs, for hosting again! :worship:

Intro: We were empty nesters until DS2 took a medical leave from college. I'm doing really well at remembering to close doors again! I'm working on healthier eating and trying to move more. We just replaced our scale so there should be some consistency there this month. It'll be interesting to see where I am when the month ends!

I am always so impressed with everyone who has lost weight and kept it off. You are amazing! I'm just plodding along, doing my usual stuff. I plan to continue tracking all food and this month I've upped my steps another 500. We'll see. Weekdays are easy peasy. It's the weekends that kill me. This weekend we are going to my parents' house so that will mean a lot of sitting around visiting. They live in the country at the top of a big hill so if (I mean, when!) I go for a walk it's a long haul back!

I am sorry for your loss. I hope your father in law recovers well. What a month, hope may brings more peace and calm for your family

Hi! I'm brand new here. My name is Lissa and I have just started (one week ago today, actually) what has to be my final "new start" to getting healthy again.

It's been almost 20 years since I've been to Disney World. :sad: And we've decided to go back in 2020. That seems like a long way away to plan a trip, but I have a lot of work to do. Various medical issues in the last 15 years have led to me just consistently gaining weight and almost always dealing with one medical problem or another. There is absolutely no way I could walk around the parks right now, and I need a longer amount of time to fix that problem. So 2020 it is. :)

Right now (knock on wood) I don't have any major medical issues to contend with so I am trying to very slowly simply increase my physical activity from day to day. I don't have any major number type goals right now. As time has gone by, I've allowed well meaning friends & family to help me with things to the point where I do so little day to day that just getting out for a few hours seems tiring to me. So my May goal is simply to go outside, run errands, take walks, and start doing more for myself. I'm in the Northeast US and we've had a never-ending winter. Spring is finally here so I want to go out each day and enjoy it while increasing my activity bit by bit. I dug out my Fitbit, but I need a new battery for it. As soon as I get that, I'll start actually looking to increase steps instead of just going for the vague "more". :) But for now, I know what "more" is and I'm working to accomplish it. :)

Hi! I'm brand new here. My name is Lissa and I have just started (one week ago today, actually) what has to be my final "new start" to getting healthy again.

It's been almost 20 years since I've been to Disney World. :sad: And we've decided to go back in 2020. That seems like a long way away to plan a trip, but I have a lot of work to do. Various medical issues in the last 15 years have led to me just consistently gaining weight and almost always dealing with one medical problem or another. There is absolutely no way I could walk around the parks right now, and I need a longer amount of time to fix that problem. So 2020 it is. :)

Right now (knock on wood) I don't have any major medical issues to contend with so I am trying to very slowly simply increase my physical activity from day to day. I don't have any major number type goals right now. As time has gone by, I've allowed well meaning friends & family to help me with things to the point where I do so little day to day that just getting out for a few hours seems tiring to me. So my May goal is simply to go outside, run errands, take walks, and start doing more for myself. I'm in the Northeast US and we've had a never-ending winter. Spring is finally here so I want to go out each day and enjoy it while increasing my activity bit by bit. I dug out my Fitbit, but I need a new battery for it. As soon as I get that, I'll start actually looking to increase steps instead of just going for the vague "more". :) But for now, I know what "more" is and I'm working to accomplish it. :)

Welcome! This is a great group and I hope you enjoy being here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!