May 2, 2014 - A WONDERous trip through the Locks WBPC

Hello everyone. Real close to booking this but have one reservation. Kids missing so much school. Ages are 16, 14, and 12. Now usually each year we take them out about a week because we can get great FL rates on off season. With this being almost 2 and a half we are a little apprehensive.

So, anyone with children in this age range going? Maybe done it in the past? Any opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.:)

My kids are 10, 12 and 14 so I'm in the same situation you are. I took them out of school for a week last year for our first family Disney cruise and they managed that ok. Because of that, I wasn't too worried about the kids handling their missed schoolwork those last weeks of school initially for the Panama Canal experience - but now my 14 year old already missed 20 days because of walking pneumonia & some other bizarre infection that would not let go of him in the fall. I have 5 weeks to make the decision to back out or jump in. I know I'll have to answer to the city attorney if he misses that many days even though he's holding on to good grades - so I'm torn. Sigh. And once they get into high school it's even harder on them to miss the days. But once they get to high school hanging out with family is not quite as much a part of their lives... I hate to miss this opportunity.

I wish I had the answer for you! Clearly I'm muddling through it myself.

Well having been to all the ports here are my plans. Not spending a dime on tours. Key West I love. Very laid back place. Chocolate dipped Key Lime Pie on a stick. Yumm. A few good bars with good drinks. I generally will not eat a meal in port because in my mind it like paying for a meal twice as I have paid for that meal in the ship. Cozumel, Columbia not stepping foot on land. I may get off in Puerto Vallarta but that is 50/50. Not getting off in Cabo.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

Just booked my cruise today. This is my second Disney cruise, I went to Alaska, so I have been on the Wonder before. Traveling solo ;) I am excited about traveling the canal and having a lot of sea days.

Amy

Anyone have any input as to Palo being the same on Fantasy as it is on Wonder?
We loved it on Wonder, not thrilled on Fantasy. We noticed that we could have eaten at Palo several times when we cruised in June (on Fantasy), we never could eat there more than 1 dinner and 1 brunch on Wonder.

WooHoo! I finally got the hotel that seemed very interesting to me and highly recommended on Cruise Critic.
I've been trying for the past 2 months.

la pensione hotel
http://www.lapensionehotel.com/

I can cancel if anyone can talk us out of it. It seems like a great location, and because we won't have a car, that's important to us. Thanks!

Anyone have any input as to Palo being the same on Fantasy as it is on Wonder?
We loved it on Wonder, not thrilled on Fantasy. We noticed that we could have eaten at Palo several times when we cruised in June (on Fantasy), we never could eat there more than 1 dinner and 1 brunch on Wonder.

WooHoo! I finally got the hotel that seemed very interesting to me and highly recommended on Cruise Critic.
I've been trying for the past 2 months.

la pensione hotel
http://www.lapensionehotel.com/

I can cancel if anyone can talk us out of it. It seems like a great location, and because we won't have a car, that's important to us. Thanks!

I asked DH's cousin who lives in San Diego. She is also a travel agent. Her response:

The word boutique hotel is used for something that is fine but not grand, you know.

Little Italy can be walking distance for some folks or cab ride away. Close enough to go to Seaport Village or the Harbor (with cab) or close enough to get to general San Diego such as our famous San Diego zoo....

It is within walking distance of some eateries cause Little Italy is a portion or subsection beyond the downtown which has been extended.

As with any near downtown area, good to be "on guard" especially when walking around late at night and don't fling your personal objects unknowingly out/about.

I asked DH's cousin who lives in San Diego. She is also a travel agent. Her response:

The word boutique hotel is used for something that is fine but not grand, you know.

Little Italy can be walking distance for some folks or cab ride away. Close enough to go to Seaport Village or the Harbor (with cab) or close enough to get to general San Diego such as our famous San Diego zoo....

It is within walking distance of some eateries cause Little Italy is a portion or subsection beyond the downtown which has been extended.

As with any near downtown area, good to be "on guard" especially when walking around late at night and don't fling your personal objects unknowingly out/about.

Thanks Bobbi. I think it will be fine. I've stayed at boutique hotels before and was always pleased with them.
We are pretty cautious wherever we go, but we will be mindful of her advice.
I was attracted to it because we won't have a car and many things were close by. thanks!:thumbsup2

No comments on Palo? Do I have to go to the "big board" for my answer??;)

Thanks Bobbi. I think it will be fine. I've stayed at boutique hotels before and was always pleased with them. We are pretty cautious wherever we go, but we will be mindful of her advice. I was attracted to it because we won't have a car and many things were close by. thanks!:thumbsup2 No comments on Palo? Do I have to go to the "big board" for my answer??;)

We are staying in Old Town for the same reason, no car. We plan to do the Old Town Trolley to see the city, and may do dinner in Little Italy. It will be early, because we need to be at the train station at 5:00 the next morning.
No idea what the Palo is like. Bano and I have not done it except on the first cruise, when they were still in testing mode. One of the bennies of working for Disney, testing things out.

We are staying in Old Town for the same reason, no car. We plan to do the Old Town Trolley to see the city, and may do dinner in Little Italy. It will be early, because we need to be at the train station at 5:00 the next morning.
No idea what the Palo is like. Bano and I have not done it except on the first cruise, when they were still in testing mode. One of the bennies of working for Disney, testing things out.

Well maybe we'll see you in Little Italy.:goodvibes

We were surprised at the difference between Fantasy and Magic and Wonder.
Hopefully someone has eaten on all 3 ships!:)

OMG need to get on Tony's FB, but I am on the phone with Costco now and uh, they are saying my PIF date is TODAY! Even though my invoice (from them, not DCL) says 2/2. Will update when she comes back haha.

OMG need to get on Tony's FB, but I am on the phone with Costco now and uh, they are saying my PIF date is TODAY! Even though my invoice (from them, not DCL) says 2/2. Will update when she comes back haha.

Please do update! We used Costco also. We booked this cruise twice. The first time Costco had a date around now. When we re-booked (with the onboard discount) the due date was 2/2/14. Save me the call! Thank you.

I just looked up the first invoice from Costco. It said 12/19/13. Yikes, what are they doing?

OK, I just fake booked the cruise on DCL and their due date is due January 3, 2014. I wonder when it is due???

Okay, seems this glitch is messing everyone up. DCL's PIF date is 2/16; Costco's should be two weeks prior, hence 2/2. The Costco agent was able to get it straightened out with the person from DCL and a supervisor. I posted this on Tony's FB, but I was peeved by the fact that they didn't tell anyone about the changes and that I almost got totally screwed, so even though I was prepared to just pay it, I am keeping my money for another month haha.

then I wonder why on DCL site it says

Remaining Balance (USD):(due January 3, 2014)

Too funny. That frowny face is due to the way DCL had their ) and : Ha!

then I wonder why on DCL site it says

Remaining Balance (USD):(due January 3, 2014)

Too funny. That frowny face is due to the way DCL had their ) and : Ha!

Haha frowny faces for DCL!!!

You should call Costco (888) 829-7460. I am worried that it is appearing incorrectly for all!

OK 2 Peas, my trouble making cruising bud.;)

I got the same answer as you did, 2/2/2014. All set.

But (for a while) my Costco guy was quite perplexed to say the least!:thumbsup2

OK 2 Peas, my trouble making cruising bud.;)

I got the same answer as you did, 2/2/2014. All set.

But (for a while) my Costco guy was quite perplexed to say the least!:thumbsup2

Glad it worked out as originally thought.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter