Masks no longer required outdoors at WDW

Disney can't create a policy that matches what everyone wants, and I don't think anyone legitimately expects them to. People complained when they instituted mask requirements, too. And while I agree that things fluctuate quickly, when there have been several policies in place and unchanging for some 6 months now, the sudden removal of those policies without warning or intermediate steps is jarring. This isn't the first that CDC has said that vaccinated people can be outside without masks or that people in general can be outside without masks if they're distanced or in small groups, but Disney didn't make changes based on those policies. The idea that they would suddenly say no masks are needed for anyone outdoors - when that's not what the CDC said, really - and make that change at the same time they cut distance to basically 0 is unexpected and not something anyone could have expected, let alone timed...especially since vaccination rates have slowed way down so it's not as though we reached a tipping point there this week, either.

(I also don't understand why people hate masks, but that's another issue entirely and not a fight I'm trying to start. Just in terms of things that colour my viewpoint. I also really enjoyed not having people right up against me in line when we went in December and am disappointed that space is going away - to each their own.)

Again, they can make whatever policies they want. That isn't my argument. But as the original question was "why would anyone be upset by this?", my response remains that the sudden change in multiple policies, from "several forms of protection" to "look how normal things feel!" without any intermediate steps or any warning to allow people to make the best decisions for their families, makes me uneasy. I would be really upset if I were on-property this week as everything changes, that's all.

This is an intermediate step. It may not be the one some of the more dedicated maskers want, but there are quite a few measures still in place. Disney still has enhanced cleaning measures, social distancing requirements, and even mask requirements. Two of the three have been reduced, but it is hard to believe that anybody did not think that this would happen, especially with the vaccine having been distributed for nearly 6 months.

I expect that more of the Covid mandates will be lifted at the beginning or middle of June, so anybody who would be uncomfortable with OTHERS not wearing masks indoors, or within 3 feet of of you or your family, probably should consider not visiting Disney until they are comfortable with returning to normal life.

Honestly, I’d be fine if ALL Covid mandates disappeared tomorrow (well, I’d probably like it if Disney kept some of the enhanced cleaning measures - not for Covid reasons, though).

Last edited:
How about kids who can’t get vaccinated?

if you want to follow CDC guidelines:

if they are around unvaccinated people, they should wear a mask.

if they are around vaccinated people they should wear a mask.

if they are around people with or without masks, they should wear a mask.

In other words...according to the current CDC guidelines, if you are unvaccinated, kid or not, you should wear a mask.

this includes situations where you have no idea of the status of others.

But I’m sure you can see the frustration with ppl being told by some of the very same ppl to go with current policies or don’t go & now that the shoe is on the other foot, that’s not ok to say. Wearing an n95 masks protects the wearer so someone who concerned can still wear this type of mask & be completely safe. Other ppl & Disney do not have any responsibility to make ppl “feel” safer if they are not legitimately any safer. That’s a personal issue. You are safe if you’re vaccinated, if you’re outdoors and especially if you’re wearing an n95 mask. So it’s up to the individual now to do what makes them “feel” safe if they no longer trust the science.
This is….. the EXACT kind of unhelpful comment I was talking about.

Kids are incredibly unlikely to become seriously ill from Covid. In fact they are far more likely to die from the common flu, yet no one wore masks for that.
I just don’t get why ppl can’t get this!! I have a child that is too young to be vaccinated. He has been in school all year...no outbreaks. I work for a very large school district different from where my son attends school. We have also been in school all year...no outbreaks. It really is a non issue.

I guess an obvious difference is that kids can currently get vaccinated for influenza? I suspect people will feel much more comfortable once that is the case for Covid.

In addition, every COVID infection is a chance for a mutation, even if the host doesn’t become very ill. So far, it seems like the vaccines are holding against the variants, but we have no idea whether or not that will always be the case. We should be trying to prevent as much infection as possible for this reason.

This is….. the EXACT kind of unhelpful comment I was talking about.

How is it unhelpful when it’s true? I mean is something “helpful” only when it agrees with your point of view - which seems to be that things are happening too quickly? I’m sure for some people any move will always be “too soon” but that’s just the way things go.

Please note that I’m not trying to be helpful, I’m trying to be pragmatic. Whether you find that helpful is of no concern to me.

How is it unhelpful when it’s true? I mean is something “helpful” only when it agrees with your point of view - which seems to be that things are happening too quickly? I’m sure for some people any move will always be “too soon” but that’s just the way things go.

Please note that I’m not trying to be helpful, I’m trying to be pragmatic. Whether you find that helpful is of no concern to me.

Two wrongs don’t make a right? I’m sorry somebody made comments about your behavior in the past but that doesn’t mean you have to lash out and perpetuate the cycle? You know what? This is a family friendly board so I’m going to stop right there and just say that I hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are.

Kids are incredibly unlikely to become seriously ill from Covid. In fact they are far more likely to die from the common flu, yet no one wore masks for that.
I’m not sure if that is true. In 2019-2020 188 kids died of flu in the US according to official tracking with the vast majority of those being unvaccinated children. I did not use 2020-2021 since there was only 1 reported pediatric flu death and cases were way down due to obvious reasons. As of Feb 11, 2021 241 kids have died from covid. I’m not saying that it’s still not a very rare occurence for kids to die from either disease, but it’s also not correct to say they are far more likely to die from flu than COViD.

This 100%. While I hope they keep masks indoor as a rule until after the fall, if they change that rule I hope they do so to give me enough time to cancel our October trip. This new rule will not cause me to cancel, but I do not want to ride the bus or stand in line for 40 minutes sandwiched between people who are not wearing masks until rates fall significantly more. Let's not forget that Disney has international tourists and many countries are still in the thick of the pandemic.

We are renting a car this fall. Paying thru the nose for it too, but it will keep us mostly off of the buses.

I will also continue to wear my mask inside, even if at that point Disney says we can do away with them.

I just don’t get why ppl can’t get this!! I have a child that is too young to be vaccinated. He has been in school all year...no outbreaks. I work for a very large school district different from where my son attends school. We have also been in school all year...no outbreaks. It really is a non issue.

Our schools around here have had covid outbreak after covid outbreak. Some districts don't have them, some do. Neither one should be brought up as if it is the only thing going on.

I really hope masks stay around for when people are feeling sick. We need to make it not have a negative reaction to it. Who cares if someone wears a mask all the time it's there face. I loved not having a cold or flu this year. And I hope if people have sniffles and such they will mask up if they have to go out.

Went the the walk in and needed antibiotics and your contagious for 24 hours. Mask up. Post nasal drip with a cough mask up if you have to go out. Idk I hope this happens but I doubt ppl will.
No one cares if you wear a mask You can wear one for the rest of your if you so desire. Just don't insist everyone else wear one.

We are renting a car this fall. Paying thru the nose for it too, but it will keep us mostly off of the buses.

I will also continue to wear my mask inside, even if at that point Disney says we can do away with them.
Congratulations on finding a car. That is quite an accomplishment these days.

I’m not sure if that is true. In 2019-2020 188 kids died of flu in the US according to official tracking with the vast majority of those being unvaccinated children. I did not use 2020-2021 since there was only 1 reported pediatric flu death and cases were way down due to obvious reasons. As of Feb 11, 2021 241 kids have died from covid. I’m not saying that it’s still not a very rare occurence for kids to die from either disease, but it’s also not correct to say they are far more likely to die from flu than COViD.

Your numbers are incorrect. About 67 kids have died from covid in the US (age 0-14). As opposed to about 28000 child deaths overall. That was as of February 2021, so about a year since this all started.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/sh...l=true&tableId=tbl1&pii=S2352-4642(21)00066-3
Usually the number of flu deaths in children is somewhere between 100-200. Then factor in that most of the children who died from Covid had pre-existing conditions. Of course that could also be true with most of the flu fatalities, but the overall impression is that Covid is simply not a huge threat to children, especially compared with everything else in the world.

Last edited:
I was a bit snarky with a couple replies but couldn’t figure out how to delete my message

I don't think you can delete a posted message unless you are a moderator. A lot of people just write the word delete the message text and type "Deleted".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter