Mary Poppins Attraction

mamaofsix

DIS Veteran
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss the new Mary Poppins Attraction in the UK pavilion. So far I can only find snippets of discussion within other DIS threads, like D23 and Rumors and News. If there is already a thread started devoted to this topic, please redirect me!

-What do you think the actual attraction will be? There are rumors of a spinner or a carousal, but are these rumors based on known facts?

-If you could dream up any type of Mary Poppins attraction for there, what would it be? My vote is a dark ride! (Is there space for this, though?)

-Where exactly is cherry tree lane being placed in the UK? Anyone with map skills able to highlight the area and post it here?

-What are the latest estimates as to when the project will be complete?

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this! I have wondered about this, too.

-Concerning how much room they have: Can they just move things out of the way? They do this all the time. Maybe a Robo map would help.

-This is not my idea (I saw it on the Epcot rumors thread), but I loved it. Merry go round horses that break free and dance like Luigi’s Rollicking Roadsters at California Adventure. Check that ride out if you haven’t watched it yet.

-If not, I would love a classic dark ride, too. Maybe mix screens and real props.

Per most insiders this still seems to be targeted for a "spinner" ride, which a Merry go round fits. But it is not clear what exactly is going in and how it will be done yet.

-This is not my idea (I saw it on the Epcot rumors thread), but I loved it. Merry go round horses that break free and dance like Luigi’s Rollicking Roadsters at California Adventure. Check that ride out if you haven’t watched it yet.

well, I will take credit for this one as I did have that idea - and I think it would be a good one ;)

Also, I had done some quick work on google maps and I think there is enough space there for a smaller dark ride ... measuring the show buildings for Peter Pan and Winnie the Poo, they are each about 1,800 sq meters, so they could fit something there if they want

I still think it is likely to be a carousel as it would fit the theme and there isn't one in EPCOT now. Given the description of walking into Cherry Tree Lane makes me think it will be indoors though, so perhaps they use a projection dome or something to make it appear you are outside while inside a show building

I have another great idea! Please let Imagineering know 😀

I just noticed the ship mast building top from the movie in the art work. They need to send a cast member out on the roof to announce the hour every hour and shoot off a few pyrotechnics. I could see it gathering a small crowd throughout the day, while being a simple pixie-dust type moment. It wouldn’t even go in the times guide as a show, but it would be a nice touch.

Thought I'd start a thread to discuss the new Mary Poppins Attraction in the UK pavilion. So far I can only find snippets of discussion within other DIS threads, like D23 and Rumors and News. If there is already a thread started devoted to this topic, please redirect me!

-What do you think the actual attraction will be? There are rumors of a spinner or a carousal, but are these rumors based on known facts?

-If you could dream up any type of Mary Poppins attraction for there, what would it be? My vote is a dark ride! (Is there space for this, though?)

-Where exactly is cherry tree lane being placed in the UK? Anyone with map skills able to highlight the area and post it here?

-What are the latest estimates as to when the project will be complete?

View attachment 434234

From this artwork, it looks like the new buildings would be going where the red line is. The building with the four chimneys is the already existing Toy Soldier building.

1566829876885.png

From this artwork, it looks like the new buildings would be going where the red line is. The building with the four chimneys is the already existing Toy Soldier building.

View attachment 434268
Hmmm... interesting. So, what's currently behind that line . . . looks like an access road, storage buildings and parking? If you have to enter the attraction through those buildings, it would have to go there.

I would LOVE a dark ride, similar to Peter Pan. Thanks for measuring out the space, @TheMaxRebo. Good to know that it would be possible to fit.

@rteetz, is it confirmed that the World Showplace building isn't going anywhere? With the new 3-tiered "Festival" building announced at D23, will there still be a need for the World Showplace building?

@rteetz, is it confirmed that the World Showplace building isn't going anywhere? With the new 3-tiered "Festival" building announced at D23, will there still be a need for the World Showplace building?
That new building is for new things and replacing area like Innoventions and things like the festival center of Wonders of Life. World Showplace is a private events space. It is rented out constantly. Disney has no plans to get rid of it in the near future.

Hmmm... interesting. So, what's currently behind that line . . . looks like an access road, storage buildings and parking? If you have to enter the attraction through those buildings, it would have to go there.

I would LOVE a dark ride, similar to Peter Pan. Thanks for measuring out the space, @TheMaxRebo. Good to know that it would be possible to fit.

Yes, due to corporate events. Most insiders I have seen state the Events pavilion is staying, and they will only build in the area shown above.

Call me crazy, but I would actually enjoy a simple, beautifully done carousel. It fits the theme, and is family friendly - all ages can ride it - especially if they have the benches like some do.

it's not my top choice but I would be fine with it - hopefully they can do something creative with it ... maybe have some animatronic elements to the ride vehicles or something

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3701338,-81.5523833,62a,35y,39.58t/data=!3m1!1e3
The google satellite view linked above
clearly shows what Moliphino is saying: You can see the Toy Soldier to the right, and Lords and Ladies at the bottom of the concept work.

To the NW of the Toy Soldier is an access area that has enough spare space to place an indoor spinner, and the concept art shows an arcade style entrance that could easily serve as entrance/egress in that corner. You need about a 90ft diameter for a Dumbo-scale spinner, and conveniently there's about 100ft diameter back there without removing the service road.

If you look at the concept art you can see that the facade is about 1/3 longer than Lord and Ladies, taking the edge up to basically where the maze ends now. It also shows nothing located to the south, only the facade buildings to the west, so it's conceivable that something larger could go there, but there's not a lot of room unless Disney faked us by showing the concept art looking from the SE rather than the NW.

I also think the band-stand will be moved as there's a couple of spots there that are used for meet-and-greats that they'll want to preserve.

My guess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter