Mary Poppins Attraction

Or do a dark carousel ride...do a normal carousel but have it completely enclosed and dark and then have the inside walls play some type of a show or clips of Mary Poppins as it goes round and they could have characters running along side as u go around or even play a nice little short film or something.

They could make the center of the carousel digital screen and play shows as well as the outer screens/walls.

They could make the center of the carousel digital screen and play shows as well as the outer screens/walls.

There's certainly a lot that could be done with even a spinner in Mary Poppins. Given the interplay between animation and live action, screen based effects or simple projection mapping could produce a pretty inspired carousel/dumbo etc.

Last edited:
Finding the January 2020 Rumor Round-Up on The DIS very interesting...

"Work has yet to begin on the Mary Poppins attraction in the United Kingdom pavilion. This experience is not expected to be a ride at this point, but rather an experience along the lines of Enchanted Tales with Belle"

What does everyone think of this? TBH, if we aren't getting a dark ride, an experience like this is more attractive to me than a spinner.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/disney-rumor-round-up-january-2020/

"Work has yet to begin on the Mary Poppins attraction in the United Kingdom pavilion. This experience is not expected to be a ride at this point, but rather an experience along the lines of Enchanted Tales with Belle"

What does everyone think of this? TBH, if we aren't getting a dark ride, an experience like this is more attractive to me than a spinner.

Wasn't excited about the spinner ride concept. Just didn't see how that would really fit with mary Poppins.
something similar to Enchanted Tales with Belle sounds much better.

I think EPCOT, especially WS, needs some kid stuff. While I think Mary Poppins as an IP is a waste as a spinner, so many better things could be done, WS would benefit from a good spinner or Mater type ride... or two. One on each side...

I think EPCOT, especially WS, needs some kid stuff. While I think Mary Poppins as an IP is a waste as a spinner, so many better things could be done, WS would benefit from a good spinner or Mater type ride... or two. One on each side...
I agree that there needs to be more attractions geared towards kids on the WS. My kids actually prefer attractions like Enchanted Tales with Belle or a dark ride like Peter Pan over a spinner. But other families might feel differently...

Either way, glad we're getting SOMETHING! lol.

I'm torn. Honestly, another Enchanted Tales doesn't appeal to us. It was fine but not something we would do again. I'd take a spinner like a beautifully themed carouesel over ET-type, because my kids love them, and WS needs more to appeal to the kids. Carousels also tend to appeal to guests of all ages, they're classic. That all said, my preference would be a Peter Pan type ride, maybe where you ride the carousel horses?

Whatever they do, definitely sounds like a 2021 opening at least now.

I think there is a bit of analysis paralysis at Epcot. I think everyone including Disney knows something has to be done, but are struggling for a cohesive plan forward.
They've finally gone forward at Future world, but now the world showcase needs it's plan.
I feel like this one might get tabled like the theatre behind main street in the magic kingdom.
Epcot really does need some sort of kid friendly attraction in the space between the IG and the path too future world.

I think much of it comes down to how to best use the space, and what might need to be relocated. You have the multi use "temporary" structure that has been there for years. I think they end up using that way more than they ever envisioned.
I think they need to rebuild that space, making efficient use of the foot print, then integrate an attraction around/through it. I'm thinking something like the Land pavilion, part convention space, dark ride and kiddie ride and food.

ETwB was a one and done for us. We had a fastpass so the line wasn't an issue - just seemed like an awful lot to go through for a character interaction. We actually liked the Frozen character meet-and-greet in Norway better.

Here's a thought; why not enclose a carousel and project images on the walls surrounding it as you ride? It seems like you could create a really immersive environment that way - sort-of like the circle-vision theaters in Canada and China, but with a carousel.

ETwB was a one and done for us. We had a fastpass so the line wasn't an issue - just seemed like an awful lot to go through for a character interaction. We actually liked the Frozen character meet-and-greet in Norway better.

Here's a thought; why not enclose a carousel and project images on the walls surrounding it as you ride? It seems like you could create a really immersive environment that way - sort-of like the circle-vision theaters in Canada and China, but with a carousel.

That would be pretty neat ... I've already but my idea out there of combining a carousel with the technology of Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters so the horses can "break free" of the carousel and "dance" to the music

But something like a "next generation" carousel would be pretty cool.

If just a plain carousel or simple spinner ride I think that would be a bit disappointing after all these years to finally get a Mary Poppins based ride

A very cool idea, though I do wonder how it would affect people as far as motion sickness - to be on a rotating ride, while having rotating images surrounding them on top of that.

The tough part is that Disney no longer does simple stuff for the most part. I get the impression that everything has to be beyond the basic. The most basic recent attraction they've done is the Alien Swirling Saucers. It works because of the theme in the area.
Mary Poppins is too life like to be combined with a very ordinary ride mechanism. However, adding more capacity is a good thing for the area.
When I think of Mary Poppins, I think of the umbrella and floating to the ground. Certainly a spinner with hydraulic lifting umbrellas could work well, especially if they pair it with Dumbo style queue. Live stage music. Mix in a food and beverage option and you have a recipe to eat up crowds and take in some money.
It would be a mass of strollers, with mom and dad grooving to the music, sipping a beverage, rockin the stroller while youngest sleeps and the next oldest is spinning around in circles.

The tough part is that Disney no longer does simple stuff for the most part. I get the impression that everything has to be beyond the basic. The most basic recent attraction they've done is the Alien Swirling Saucers. It works because of the theme in the area.
Mary Poppins is too life like to be combined with a very ordinary ride mechanism. However, adding more capacity is a good thing for the area.
When I think of Mary Poppins, I think of the umbrella and floating to the ground. Certainly a spinner with hydraulic lifting umbrellas could work well, especially if they pair it with Dumbo style queue. Live stage music. Mix in a food and beverage option and you have a recipe to eat up crowds and take in some money.
It would be a mass of strollers, with mom and dad grooving to the music, sipping a beverage, rockin the stroller while youngest sleeps and the next oldest is spinning around in circles.

Would be interesting if instead of one attraction it is more of an environment with maybe one or two smaller rides, a play area, some meet and greets, some food and drink areas, etc .... almost like a mini version of what the Play pavilion appears to be

Would be interesting if instead of one attraction it is more of an environment with maybe one or two smaller rides, a play area, some meet and greets, some food and drink areas, etc .... almost like a mini version of what the Play pavilion appears to be
That's what I'm thinking. A little bit of of immersion goes a long way. You add a few very simple things, and a the sum of it's parts makes it a pretty cool little place.
However, you do make a pretty good point even if you didn't intend it. They are already doing this in future world.

For me all these little things add up to the experience disney versus and average them park. Little details like the phineas and ferb, sorcerers of the magic kingdom and the like. All the little things you can do.

I have read through this thread.

If it is a simple carousel no matter how well decorated would be a disappointment.

Doing an eyeball view of the land available between the existing UK and the IG, there is space with existing empty space, along with taking over the the little road loop that I think is a vestige when they would run buses and/or trams to the IG when EPCOT Center first opened, for a more substantial ride. I like the idea of some type of ride based off the carousel scene from the movie, but be more of a dark ride.

I agree with what others have said . PP rethemed with umbrellas or carousel horse vehicle. Track or trackless dark ride. Anything less would be disappointing. My daughter loved enchanted tales up until about 6 then didn't care about it anymore. A carousel would be blah. I'd rather them table the idea for now than to try and throw something in for the 50th. There are enough additions going on now to keep me happy for a while.

Last edited:
What does everyone think of this?

Pretty much this:
I'm torn. Honestly, another Enchanted Tales doesn't appeal to us. It was fine but not something we would do again. I'd take a spinner like a beautifully themed carousel over ET-type, because my kids love them, and WS needs more to appeal to the kids. Carousels also tend to appeal to guests of all ages, they're classic. That all said, my preference would be a Peter Pan type ride, maybe where you ride the carousel horses?
I go to WDW with my DH and college-age DS. I might have gotten them onto a dark ride to indulge my love of Mary Poppins, but there's no way we'll be doing an Enchanted Tales type attraction. I'm a wee bit disappointed.

That would be pretty neat ... I've already but my idea out there of combining a carousel with the technology of Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters so the horses can "break free" of the carousel and "dance" to the music

Both of those sound like neat ideas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!