Mary Poppins Attraction

I am sorry but how are the boat rides exactly the same? Its like saying "how many roller coasters are at WDW". The Carousel can be themed for 1900's London but it is going to closely reflect the one already set at Magic Kingdom. Dark and Boat rides are vastly different in everything except the ride mechanism, there is likely a different ride route, various movement mechanisms (up/down/backwards), tons of theming, and typically a story portrayed throughout the ride.

Actually they're all very similar. Frozen and Pirates are a pretty similar mechanical ride with their drop, Land, Jungle Cruise, Na'Vi, Small World and Donald Duck are pretty identical - no drops, bumps, different directions etc... mechanics are the same - you hop in a boat and float and look around. That's it. The only difference is scenery/theming. Just like the carousels would be - same mechanism, very different theming. Or, just like Astro Orbiters and Dumbo and Magic Carpets - exact same mechanism, different theming.

I concede that it may be too tame for people's taste, certainly! But your argument against doing it because, "They already have a carousel", is just silly. Disney has many rides that are mechanically identical/similar.

I concede that it may be too tame for people's taste, certainly!

Except it's not about being tame.

Just like the carousels would be - same mechanism, very different theming

Except a carousel is just a different themed ride vehicle not a different story through the ride.

I can't even believe this is an argument.

How about "How many Dumbo clones are there in MK alone?"

And I don't support that and don't think anyone suggested it. I do think it's overkill to have the various clones or dumbo.

So why can't we keep the magic kingdom carousel unique and not become the dumbo?

In general I agree that there is a different between same ride systems used and same flat rides being used as it's not a different experience at all for the most part. (Astro Orbiters is probably the biggest differences and that's mostly from the height/location. However, I feel like a carousel in the UK pavilion could be a good addition in addition to another dark ride attraction. It would fit that Gardens area really well and give a nice atmosphere and kinetic energy to the area. Would add it in as much ,if not more so, for the appearance and ambiance of the area as I would for adding a new attraction. But I would be disappointed if a simple carousel was the Mary Poppins attraction itself.

If it has an indoor queue I'd imagine an indoor flat ride. Probably a vekoma mad house, small footprint, large throughput, and really easy to theme to a magical story.

At this point I seriously have no idea anymore of what this attraction could be or if it will be a ride at all or just an elaborate meet and greet (which breaks my heart). My dream was a crossover between an lengthy omnimover dark ride and a sing along experience with all the songs from the movie pluuuussss the Jolly Holiday Caroussel outside in the gardens. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... lol. I just hope the music is the focus here...

Last edited:

Not sure if this is anything or not, but vlogs coming out regarding the new Epcot preview centre are showing more detail for Cherry Tree lane (at D23 the same concept art showed a "treed over" section in the UK that now features more buildings).

Perhaps someone else with better mapping knowledge than I could shed some light (@TheMaxRebo ?) - it looks like a fairly big expansion, though? Check out the video below starting at about 33:00.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is anything or not, but vlogs coming out regarding the new Epcot preview centre are showing more detail for Cherry Tree lane (at D23 the same concept art showed a "treed over" section in the UK that now features more buildings).

Perhaps someone else with better mapping knowledge than I could shed some light (@TheMaxRebo ?) - it looks like a fairly big expansion, though? Check out the video below starting at about 33:00.

Ok, so hard to get the exact right angle to compare to the artwork ... but from what I can tell the buildings in the artwork are all there already except for the top part which is the actual Cherry Tree Land facade. Also, in the art (which is obviously just conceptual) there is a lot more space shown between the pavilions vs real life

Here is what I could do to compare the art on the left to google maps on the right and I tried to label things - so what has an "A" on it in the left matches to what has an "A" in the right .

The pinkish square I added to the right and it labeled as such represents where I think the Cherry Tree Lane facade will go. There is a bit of room around it (a bit behind and then a bit towards the river) for a show building to fit - but I don't think the artwork shows any new big showbuilding in it already

Ok, so hard to get the exact right angle to compare to the artwork ... but from what I can tell the buildings in the artwork are all there already except for the top part which is the actual Cherry Tree Land facade. Also, in the art (which is obviously just conceptual) there is a lot more space shown between the pavilions vs real life

Here is what I could do to compare the art on the left to google maps on the right and I tried to label things - so what has an "A" on it in the left matches to what has an "A" in the right .

The pinkish square I added to the right and it labeled as such represents where I think the Cherry Tree Lane facade will go. There is a bit of room around it (a bit behind and then a bit towards the river) for a show building to fit - but I don't think the artwork shows any new big showbuilding in it already

View attachment 441182
Wow, thanks so much for figuring that out, @TheMaxRebo . I think I was thrown off by the lack of a World showplace building and all of the green space. Your diagram helps tremendously!

Since the key art/preview Center hints it will be based on Mary Poppins Returns I’m feeling that Cherry Tree Lane will be more about facades with the ride being a clone of DCA’s emotional whirlwind ride themed to the balloon scene

I really wouldn't be surprised about a spinning flat but I am really hoping for a 2.5D dark ride themed to the Royal Daulton Bowl scenes if using Returns as the basis. Think it'd be a lot of fun and a good way to use the tech as well.
Do think it'd be great if they did add in a carousel to that area in addition to a more substantial attraction to pay homage to the original as well as give a kid/all ages attraction to the area.

Does anyone else think it could end up just being a fancy meet & greet like Enchanted Tales with Belle? I don't think that would be as fun as a ride, but they probably could do some cool effects in there.

So I am starting to wonder on this again. Per multiple insiders it is STILL not locked what may be going in here. Martin has purposely stated he is not using the word Carousel as of yet, so only time will tell what will be placed here.

So I am starting to wonder on this again. Per multiple insiders it is STILL not locked what may be going in here. Martin has purposely stated he is not using the word Carousel as of yet, so only time will tell what will be placed here.
Doesn’t sound like it will be a huge dark ride either though.

I look for something along the lines of flying umbrellas...where the rides goes round and round and the kids can control whether the umbrella goes up or down, kinda like the dumbo ride. Or if they do go with the carousel idea, then go with umbrellas but have them mounted on a shaft and make em so that they travel up and down and let the kids be able to control them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter