March 2021 Cruises Heading Towards Cancellation

Not so sure about the "ditching" part. The storm isn't ending anytime soon, what I got from Fain's 'interesting' Youtube video was that they realize now that the protocols alone won't be enough to get cruising going. Those protocols with vaccines however will allow a safe return to service. Normal is still a long way off unfortunately.

Hard to believe that it has been 10.5 months since our last cruise. Seems like a completely different world. Oh wait it is.
What I meant by "ditching" wasn't that they wouldn't do those things, rather that they would do it in conjunction with vaccinations. In other words, they were "ditching" trying to do all of this without the vaccine rolling out to some degree.

I would hope the vaccine would not be required to cruise again. As of right now I am planning on not getting the vaccine for at least a year, maybe more. It would be detrimental for them to require something like that.
I think it has to do just as much with liability as anything else. If they can show that all adults onboard are vaccinated, my guess is that would reduce some of their liability.

I think it has to do just as much with liability as anything else. If they can show that all adults onboard are vaccinated, my guess is that would reduce some of their liability.
The other unanswered question, how long do these vaccines work for? Is it like the flu vaccine that you will need one every year? I don't think they know yet, since the longest trial patients only got the shots a few months ago

I suspect Fain is also reacting to the Singapore cruise to nowhere. That was the sailing most likely to work if any would. And they had issues.

While the test may have turned out to be a false positive, that alone is a huge issue that creates problems trying to send ships out at scale with ports of call.

I would hope the vaccine would not be required to cruise again. As of right now I am planning on not getting the vaccine for at least a year, maybe more. It would be detrimental for them to require something like that.

I think some of this depends on the protocol for when there is a positive case on board. If the protocol is that we are all sent to our rooms and the cruise ends and we return to port, I as an expected vaccinated passenger am going to be a lot more wary about booking a cruise where potentially unvaccinated adults could ruin things for the whole ship.

Yes, it’s still a risk with vaccine requirements and with all the under 18 crowd, BUT the risk is a lot lower if all adults are vaccinated, and cases of positive kids are much less likely to pop mid cruise unless they are doing random testing mid cruise.

The industry is going to have to figure out the balance to get 27 million people (recent annual cruisers) comfortable with cruising again and not just the personal health concern but whatever protocols they put in place and the risk of having a cruise disrupted.

I can't believe we're seeing the 1st Quaraniversary...and still in it..
I know...we were booked on the 3/21/20 8n on the Fantasy, one of the first to cancel (and obviously well past PIF). We rebooked to the 3/20/21 7night figuring we were just swapping spring break plans, and with the FCC and the reduced length of the cruise we were PIF with tons of on board credit for a dream vacation.
We've known for a while it likely wasn't going to sail (or, if it did, we weren't likely to be on it), but it's still sad.

Not sure if we will rebook again or just take the money. We haven't seen our families in a year, so any travel we do in the post-pandemic world will be to/with family, none of whom are interested in cruises. It seems silly to let DCL hold so much of our money for so long.

I got an email from DCL today about our July 2, 2021 cruise that said they were making the cancellation window 60 days for non-restricted/non-suite/non-concierge rooms, which is very nice. Also PIF date at 60 days. Since I couldn't imagine deciding whether or not to cruise at the usual PIF date, this makes me a bit more comfortable. Still not sure it will work for us, but I feel better about it and I'm glad DCL is being flexible.

I think some of this depends on the protocol for when there is a positive case on board. If the protocol is that we are all sent to our rooms and the cruise ends and we return to port, I as an expected vaccinated passenger am going to be a lot more wary about booking a cruise where potentially unvaccinated adults could ruin things for the whole ship.

Yes, it’s still a risk with vaccine requirements and with all the under 18 crowd, BUT the risk is a lot lower if all adults are vaccinated, and cases of positive kids are much less likely to pop mid cruise unless they are doing random testing mid cruise.

The industry is going to have to figure out the balance to get 27 million people (recent annual cruisers) comfortable with cruising again and not just the personal health concern but whatever protocols they put in place and the risk of having a cruise disrupted.

This is a great comment.
It's all about the protocols and I think that's key for people to decide when/if to cruise
If among the protocols for a Covid case popping up on the ship (which is highly likely on any cruise - its just statistically expected) is to cancel the sailing mid-voyage and return to port, I won't have any desire to sail any time soon.
Can you imagine? The ship going back to port bc some guy was coughing, got tested+ and so they cancelled the rest of the itinerary ? ppl would rightfully be fuming.
What a nightmare to figure out how to deal with all this without ruining the cruising experience.

This is a great comment.
It's all about the protocols and I think that's key for people to decide when/if to cruise
If among the protocols for a Covid case popping up on the ship (which is highly likely on any cruise - its just statistically expected) is to cancel the sailing mid-voyage and return to port, I won't have any desire to sail any time soon.
Can you imagine? The ship going back to port bc some guy was coughing, got tested+ and so they cancelled the rest of the itinerary ? ppl would rightfully be fuming.
What a nightmare to figure out how to deal with all this without ruining the cruising experience.
Exactly! DCL will obviously seek the best and more appropriate solution to return to cruising, but on the other hand they HAVE to consider every guest on board, I know they get MANY people who cruise that have health issues, whether it's food allergies, mobility issues or other HIPPA regulated conditions we may not know anything about. These issues have to be addressed in that every guest deserves the protection of vaccinated individuals on board if some of them for what ever medical reason are unable to get vaccinated. So requiring the majority of otherwise healthy and not infected individuals to be vaccinated in order to cruise is a no-brainer. I KNOW that there are going to be many who feel they don't want or need the vaccine, that's fine, but, Disney Cruise Lines is a PRIVATE corporate entity and can require entry/boarding onto their properties with those who are protected so they do not expose other guests to any potential infection/illness. There will be those that cry it "violates" their rights, but every other guest has a right to expect when they board a ship that the cruise line will do every possible thing that they can to offer protection and safety to them. If you don't want or feel you need the vaccine, fine that's your choice but, you don't get to take away the choice of not being exposed by other guests on board as well.

I got an email from DCL today about our July 2, 2021 cruise that said they were making the cancellation window 60 days for non-restricted/non-suite/non-concierge rooms, which is very nice. Also PIF date at 60 days. Since I couldn't imagine deciding whether or not to cruise at the usual PIF date, this makes me a bit more comfortable. Still not sure it will work for us, but I feel better about it and I'm glad DCL is being flexible.

I think it also helps them out by not having to pay 125% FCC to people PIF when canceling. Pushing back PIF they hope less people will be eligible.

In our specific case, we are relieved by this cancellation. We had a 2-rooms Concierge reservation for a 4-nights in March. We couldn’t cancel without loosing our deposit, we didn’t want to PIF in order to get our money back close to sailing - my wife would not have been able to sail since she cares for COVID patients on a daily basis - and we do not foresee sailing before the furthest date we could postpone.

For the moment, our reservations still appear in the app, but we expect to get the cancellation email soon.

Very happy for you~! Now when you travel again you can do it with only positive thoughts!

Exactly! DCL will obviously seek the best and more appropriate solution to return to cruising, but on the other hand they HAVE to consider every guest on board, I know they get MANY people who cruise that have health issues, whether it's food allergies, mobility issues or other HIPPA regulated conditions we may not know anything about. These issues have to be addressed in that every guest deserves the protection of vaccinated individuals on board if some of them for what ever medical reason are unable to get vaccinated. So requiring the majority of otherwise healthy and not infected individuals to be vaccinated in order to cruise is a no-brainer. I KNOW that there are going to be many who feel they don't want or need the vaccine, that's fine, but, Disney Cruise Lines is a PRIVATE corporate entity and can require entry/boarding onto their properties with those who are protected so they do not expose other guests to any potential infection/illness. There will be those that cry it "violates" their rights, but every other guest has a right to expect when they board a ship that the cruise line will do every possible thing that they can to offer protection and safety to them. If you don't want or feel you need the vaccine, fine that's your choice but, you don't get to take away the choice of not being exposed by other guests on board as well.

Honestly if they don’t require every passenger to have a measles vaccine or others of the same they shouldn’t require this one. It’s a virus that has been eradicated by a vaccine, but people still choose not to receive it or have their children receive it. For those that argue it’s not the same don’t really know the history of these outbreaks.

I don’t mind taking a test before boarding, but a cruise line or airline shouldn’t need my medical history in order for me to travel. I will happily go to WDW.

Honestly if they don’t require every passenger to have a measles vaccine or others of the same they shouldn’t require this one. It’s a virus that has been eradicated by a vaccine, but people still choose not to receive it or have their children receive it. For those that argue it’s not the same don’t really know the history of these outbreaks.

I don’t mind taking a test before boarding, but a cruise line or airline shouldn’t need my medical history in order for me to travel. I will happily go to WDW.

If measles resurfaced into a epidemic, they might. Even if cruising requires it for awhile doesn't mean it wouldn't drop off again once its controlled better.

You do need proof of vaccines to go to certain countries or go on cruises that go there. Yellow fever, polio and meningitis. It is nothing new—and it is not really about your medical history, it is about your current public health risk.

Well, every ship they intend to sail needs its own conditional sail certificate, so needs its own test sail. Even if you used same crew on Fantasy and Dream, that's still getting one full crew over and getting both ready to do two test trips. So the timing is such that March sailings just don't look logistically likely. No rumor of staffing up and bringing in crew for quarantine is bubbling, and I suspect it would be on hold until at least after Christmas - avoid travel peak, even in a time where peak is going to be lower.

Well, every ship they intend to sail needs its own conditional sail certificate, so needs its own test sail. Even if you used same crew on Fantasy and Dream, that's still getting one full crew over and getting both ready to do two test trips. So the timing is such that March sailings just don't look logistically likely. No rumor of staffing up and bringing in crew for quarantine is bubbling, and I suspect it would be on hold until at least after Christmas - avoid travel peak, even in a time where peak is going to be lower.

Not every ship. If they keep The Magic in Europe, they don't need the conditional sail certificate or the test sail to resume the 2021 summer season. They just need to comply with EU guidance for cruise ship operations
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/COVID-19-cruise-ship-guidance

The Disney Cruise Line Blog reports that March 2021 sailings are no longer available on the Disney Cruise site, which would seem to be the first step towards a cancellation.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...ngs-removed-from-disney-cruise-lines-website/
Based on previous cancellations, this is the pattern we have seen. I can't even I say I'd be surprised if they did cancel into March. Thinking more and more now about canceling October 2021 and just getting a refund.

Based on previous cancellations, this is the pattern we have seen. I can't even I say I'd be surprised if they did cancel into March. Thinking more and more now about canceling October 2021 and just getting a refund.

I’m feeling the same about August. I’m holding out a while longer though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter