Marathon Weekend 2024

This thread is both a good and bad thing for me. Its good because I can prepare myself for 2025 and have a better idea of what to expect. Its bad because I really want to run the marathon in 2024, but I know I will not be ready for the distance by then.
Not letting that stop me though, I have watched at least 10 youtube videos of people running the marathon in 2023. Including one that was over a hour long. I may be developing a unhealthy obsession to fill the time.

A question, with the current and any upcoming construction projects over the next year or two, do you think the course is going to make some major changes? IMO the 2019 course to the 2023 marathon course would be considered a major change. I guess my question is when the construction is done will they have just minor changes or can we expect maybe some bigger changes? I am a fan of how this years course is and would say the least fun part would probably include the parking lot run of the water park.

Edit: I had said 2020 course and I really meant 2019. My bad on that one.

Last edited:
A question, with the current and any upcoming construction projects over the next year or two, do you think the course is going to make some major changes? IMO the 2020 course to the 2023 marathon course would be considered a major change. I guess my question is when the construction is done will they have just minor changes or can we expect maybe some bigger changes? I am a fan of how this years course is and would say the least fun part would probably include the parking lot run of the water park.
Blizzard Beach parking is most definitely not fun to run through.

I wouldn't expect much major change to the courses. One thing we could see though is the finish. Walls will (per what they say) finally come down in Epcot by years end. This could open the door to finish under Spaceship Earth again if they so choose. Outside of that there isn't anything else really happening at the parks right now that would impact the course.

This could open the door to finish under Spaceship Earth again if they so choose.
WAIT! I did not know this was a thing!!!! The actual finish was under SSE or you just got to run under it? Either would be really cool! I ran in 2016 and 2019, I think I said 2020 earlier which was a error on my part. I cant say I recall much other than the world showcase and then running towards SSE and then backstage to see the choir and then finish line. Maybe somewhere in there is when that happened and I just forgot about it.

WAIT! I did not know this was a thing!!!! The actual finish was under SSE or you just got to run under it? Either would be really cool! I ran in 2016 and 2019, I think I said 2020 earlier which was a error on my part. I cant say I recall much other than the world showcase and then running towards SSE and then backstage to see the choir and then finish line. Maybe somewhere in there is when that happened and I just forgot about it.
If you ran in 2016 you did it. Not directly under but to the side and out the front. You don't finish near SSE any longer. They haven't done that since at least 2018. It goes out and under Guardians now. The world showcase portion hasn't changed.

Capture.jpg

2023-runDisney-full-marathon-course-map.png.webp

SAFD: (repeating a lot but here goes)
- More preorder merch, and better variety of merch! Those of us who have been around awhile remember a much better and unique selection of merch (and better quality) - it's gotten so generic, and a lot of it is just plain ugly
- Go back to Champion shirts
- Get rid of Club rD - icky money grab
- Selfishly - I would love a tiered registration system where you got earlier access based on how many events you have done, kind of like the way the Disney Cruise Line operates (I have done 16 rD race weekends!)
- More time in HS - what we get now is a joke
- Expand the PoT options - up to 3 hrs for half and 6 for a full to allow better seeding of people in corrals. That last corral is way too big
- No more "boarding groups" to shop for merch at the expo

I've watched some full-length livestreams. :D
I saw a live recording thats still available that was around 6 hours. I was like I got time to kill, but thats a whole lot to dedicate for one video lol. Maybe a rainy Saturday it could happen lol.

So yesterday I reserved a charity bib with Team Determination (American Cancer Society). I think. I am still waiting for the final confirmation e-mail. I did this because I need to be in south Florida for a meeting at 3pm on registration day. While I could fly out early that morning, I knew it was registration day so I was originally flying out a day earlier on 4/10 - JUST so I could be in my hotel for registration. Then I realized if I can get a charity bib lined up in advance, I can skip registration altogether, and fly out early on 4/11 as planned. So once I get my confirmation, that will be the plan, and I save a night on the hotel. (Then I drive from South Florida to WDW on 4/12 for SS weekend).

I'm "just" running the half in 2024, but I'm also registered for the DL challenge the following weekend. I figure this would be a good time to raise some money - the double HMs cross country on consecutive weekends (pls a 10k!) will be a good lead in for the fundraising plea...

(Did anyone else get a Team Determination final confirmation yet?)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter