• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: I really miss the on-course entertainment that *isn't* characters. I'm not a big character interaction fan anyway, and I definitely remember when I started rD in 2014, there was just more interesting stuff going on, on-course, that you didn't see at other races. Remember the big long trumpets (I am sure there is a better name for this instrument) on the balcony at the back of Cinderella's castle, playing a fanfare as you were coming through? The tumble monkeys on the trampolines? Stilt walkers? Stuff you wouldn't necessarily stop for, but spiced things up as you were going by.

Love this.

My first runD event/half marathon was the year they shot off pretty high fireworks every few minutes in the MK parking lot for the Princess half marathon. Iā€™m sure that was awful for the folks in the nearby resorts, but it was super cool as a runner.

And then sometime after that I did the Star Wars half which had a light saber battle scene in the forest on Bear Island Road - which to date is the absolute coolest on course entertainment Iā€™ve seen.

Iā€™m not sure anything has really matched those two moments in my runs since. Maybe someday.

SAFD: I wish they would require POT for everyone. The self seeding honor system is being badly abused. It would be a better experience for all if there wasnā€™t so much dodging other runners going on. FWIW Iā€™m not winning any speed records and would be more than willing to play by those rules.
Yes! I don't know what their algorithm is but I was put in too slow of a corral for the Princess 10k and didn't have any leverage to be placed correctly. Meanwhile I know people who chose the per mile range slower than what I chose and they were in one corral faster šŸ¤·.

While I'm currently working on getting faster I'll never be in corral A.

Need to reiterate what was said earlier about bib transfers: it introduces scalping into the mix (i believe there also might be a liability issue with insurance). The majors donā€™t do it as far as I know, I canā€™t see RD ever allowing it.
Not if it's done right. You don't let runners transfer to other runners. Disney basically buys them back minus a fee and then sells them to people on a waiting list or just makes it available on a first come basis. This is an already solved problem.

I've never seen an in-corral port-o-potty that I remember anywhere but you don't have to go all the way back out. Jump the fence, visit a tree, jump the fence back in. It's basically a right of passage to do a tree visit within a few minutes of your start and it wasn't only men when I did it.

Based on all your experiences with runDisney is there anything you would like to see them change/improve/eliminate?

So many people have already hit on my suggestions, but I am going to say ditto on fixing the IT (I always get stuck on no drop down for the shirt size - a flaw that they haven't fixed since my first runDisney registration in 2018) and either a bib transfer system or offering race insurance.

The one thing that I haven't seen is that, for the love of Mickey, can they make the sizing consistent (or even reasonable) for the race merch? Particularly if they are going to allow people to pre-order items. I wear an XL in almost everything. The way things have been recently, I could go anywhere between a large and a 3XL to get something that fit. If you are charging almost $100 for a jacket, having a reliable size really isn't too much to ask.

I will be staying at OKW for Marathon Weekend 2024. It will be my first time staying there. I'm looking forward to it!
Just FYI to folks staying at OKW, even though the resort is close, things can still go wrong. I've stayed there for 10+ RD weekends, and it is great most of the time, but we've still experienced a few hiccups. One year, the driver was new and completely unfamiliar with WDW roads, so we ended up heading into Orlando and onto the highway before frantic runners gave him directions via Google Maps to get us back to EPCOT. We've also experienced traffic nightmares on multiple occasions which delayed everyone from all the resorts. A few times the buses have also gone to Saratoga Springs to pick up runners as well, so the trip ended up being longer than we thought. The lesson ultimately was (and this is true for every resort, really), get to the buses as early as possible, because things can always go wrong. You just never know.

The one thing that I haven't seen is that, for the love of Mickey, can they make the sizing consistent (or even reasonable) for the race merch? Particularly if they are going to allow people to pre-order items. I wear an XL in almost everything. The way things have been recently, I could go anywhere between a large and a 3XL to get something that fit. If you are charging almost $100 for a jacket, having a reliable size really isn't too much to ask.

All of my race shirts are not the same size, even though all of my race shirts are the same size :scratchin :rotfl2: .

I know everyone has different preferences on clothing but, for me, there was much more uniformity in size when Disney was using Champion for the race shirts and, despite the limited color options over the years, I was generally much happier with the quality. While my experience is primarily with the ā€œincluded with race registrationā€ merch, label me underwhelmed with the selection of merch and my perception of its quality at the expo since Disney went to mostly (all?) Disney branded clothing.

SAFD: I would love to have medals that donā€™t chip the instant you hold them. I definitely feel that Disney has been cheaping out post Covid. The luggage tags you get for the anniversaries used to be really niceā€”a sort of 3D rendition of the race logo. Since the races resumed in 2021, the luggage tags have been flat printed images on cheap plastic.

hope to be in for Dopey #9 in a row (counting virtual and hoping I finish #8 this week)...but I'm scared about registration (as usual)
I will be trying for my first Dopey. If Iā€™m on ready to go when available to the general public how likely is it I will get Dopey

Just FYI to folks staying at OKW, even though the resort is close, things can still go wrong. I've stayed there for 10+ RD weekends, and it is great most of the time, but we've still experienced a few hiccups. One year, the driver was new and completely unfamiliar with WDW roads, so we ended up heading into Orlando and onto the highway before frantic runners gave him directions via Google Maps to get us back to EPCOT. We've also experienced traffic nightmares on multiple occasions which delayed everyone from all the resorts. A few times the buses have also gone to Saratoga Springs to pick up runners as well, so the trip ended up being longer than we thought. The lesson ultimately was (and this is true for every resort, really), get to the buses as early as possible, because things can always go wrong. You just never know.
I missed the start of the 2020 Marathon because I was on a bus from Pop Century for literally 2 hours. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen from OKW in 2024!

SAFD: Bring back TA runDisney packages.
Yes! Five years ago I used one of those packages and stayed at the Grand Floridian for ā€œonlyā€œ 300 a nightā€”as opposed to the rack rate of $520-560 a night. The next year they still had packages but the prices were just the regular rack rate. So, basically the only time I will ever stay thereā€¦

A few more things. While I just sort of accept that registration will be a mess, I actually wish they would bring back running through Wide World of sports every other or every few years, just to switch up the marathon course once in a while. That said, I donā€™t do runDisney every year, so it is not a huge deal, but would be nice. Honestly, I tend to do marathon weekend because it tends to keep my overeating in check and keeps me working out from thanksgivingā€”Christmaā€”new years:D

I will be trying for my first Dopey. If Iā€™m on ready to go when available to the general public how likely is it I will get Dopey

This is very difficult to know because even as runDisney IT will likely remain problematic it is not always easy to predict what forms those problems will take and who they will most affect.

Anecdotally, Iā€™ve seen a relatively high success rate for those who are ready as registrations open to the general public for getting the race(s) they target (Iā€™ve signed up for Marathon Weekend races every year since 2012 and have been on this forum for most of those registration days). Iā€™ve only missed getting a targeted race once and that was rushing back in after getting myself registered trying to help a friend who was having issues.

Last edited:
I think you have a very good shot, obviously dependent on RDs website working properly. Hereā€™s how long it took for the last two race weekends to sell out:

6BA71365-CCBB-496B-9A23-8F6F686CB9D5.jpeg

I suspect 2023 will prove to be an outlier to some degree, people went crazy for the theme. The biggest worry this year is how many people will want to try for Coast to Coast with this race weekend. Iā€™m kinda optimistic that it wonā€™t be that bad, just by virtue of it being tough to pull off unless youā€™re local to one of the two resorts.

The biggest worry this year is how many people will want to try for Coast to Coast with this race weekend. Iā€™m kinda optimistic that it wonā€™t be that bad, just by virtue of it being tough to pull off unless youā€™re local to one of the two resorts.

The heck? :D 13 day vacay babay!

(I am never typing that sentence again!)

I think very likely... But be on at least 30 minutes early and make sure you are logged on or at least verify your login. Also, keep a couple of different browsers open... Not tabs in same browser because the session id will be the same in the same browser but different across multiple browsers... And hence you have better chance at getting in queue quicker.

Answer the simple questions as fast as you can and avoid the time input...i mean dont bother putting in a proof of time now, if you have a fast one, just select the option that says you dont need proof... It will let you save time because goal is to get to pay screen as fast as possible.

And finally if you want to sign up others, you have to make judgement call as to when you joined queue vs if you can risk adding another registration before you pay for yours.

Based on all your experiences with runDisney is there anything you would like to see them change/improve/eliminate?
Sort of a loaded question...

I would first like to see them rethink their medal designs. I should not have to worry as much as I do about medals being basically destroyed. I do think they are seeing the push back on this though. They intentionally left medals in the plastic during Princess to help keep them in better shape. I appreciate the fun and different designs but I would rather have a good looking more plain medal than a bad looking colorful one.

I would like to see runDisney do more with pre-orders merchandise. I think this would help combat some of the expo problems. The virtual queue only does so much and even then its not much at all.

I would like to see the guide a little earlier. They have been averaging roughly 2 weeks before race weekends now. I get things change in even the days leading up but I think 3-4 weeks would be more sufficient for people planning.

I don't think Disney needs to eliminate anything as of right now.

SAFD: something simple would be releasing the race courses early. Idk why theyā€™re waiting so long now when they control the roads.
They control them an extent yes. runDisney still needs to work with now formerly RCID, Track Shack, OC Sheriffs Dept. and other entities. There are a lot of moving parts in race planning.

My SAFD answer: Just fix all the IT issues! I get they want to have everything in house for control (and fees), but Disney IT trying to build and duct tape it together isn't working. Just give up and outsource the registration back to Active or license software that is purpose-built for this type of thing.
Active wasn't perfect either. They are also technically licensing software already. This system is built similar to others such as Marine Corp. Disney I don't believe built this from the ground up on their own. And Disney like many travel companies IT is built on old outdated stuff that would be very timely and costly to change so they would rather just band aid it. Like the park reservation system for example is built on the old FP+ system. Its all one big mess.

A lot of this is USATF certification of the courses. They're usually not measured until about a month before the races, and then it takes another two weeks to make sure the measurements are correct

This is correct. However, runDisney did used to release courses earlier. Not a lot earlier but somewhat. I think they know their courses at least a month out.
So I'd love for it to be less frustrating, but what incentive does rD have to do so?

But the one thing I really really want them to change is the half and full corrals. Why are they so friggin far?
Exactly, rD doesn't have to change. No matter what they would do there would be complaints. We are still in a period of very high demand. Pre-covid, runDisney yes had higher race numbers but also races varied in popularity. I think there are many reasons for changes.

Obviously the covid shutdown and lack of races put things in high demand. Then couple that with capped registration numbers and races sold out in minutes.

This started just before covid but you see now a big "influencer" push for these races. The popular influencers were not running Disney races in 2010 let alone really 2016. Most of them are very new to this and people notice and see that. Just look at how much more crowded the parks have become since 2016 covid or not.

Things like a lottery would only create even more issues/complaints. The small runDisney staff deals enough with that. Much like how the parks are capped now I think runDisney races will be for the foreseeable future too. I am of the belief the days of 20,000+ runners in the half and full marathons are over.

While Iā€™m ranting about this one sneaky thing that annoyed me about that DL registration is that they also wanted to know if I had done other RD races AND if so, how many had I done. Save it for a survey! Ask me at the expo when I sign in! But getting to the end and getting the ā€œyou sure you answered all those questions buddy?ā€ message over and over is going to annoy me for awhile.
I agree with this. They added those questions first for Princess 2023 registration I believe and I don't really know why. Send an email or put those in your runDisney account afterwards. It only makes the registration process longer and those questions are not necessary for your registration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter