Marathon Weekend 2023

I’ve always run in ASICS Gel Noosa Tri. Initially I had to try them because I loved the colorways but the initial pair of 7’s I had worked really well for my feet so it was a good match. Over the years there have been models that weren’t the best for me so I’d buy discount versions of the last model that did. They also didn’t update for a couple years (or released new models with the Noosa name but not Noosa Tri) and I thought they might be done but the 13s are the best model for me yet and give me hope that they’re back on track as a yearly release.

I’ve tried some of the pricier Nike models over the years and I’ve discovered my feet just aren’t proper for any of their top performance shoes. Wide, flat feet with short toes are a very weird mix for shoes it turns out, so I’ve stopped trying to force them into shoes that should work for me and sticking to the shoes that do.

SAFD: I use Brooks Adrenaline (currently version is 22). I have four pairs of them and rotate them. I need narrow shoes, so my color and shoe choice seems to be limited.

I previously had three pairs of an older version of the Brooks Adrenaline.
DH here.
Ditto with narrow feet. Things have gotten a lot more difficult in recent years. I usually go to the local independent running store and ask what still comes in narrow.
Currently using Brooks Adrenaline 22, which seems better than 21 and 20. I'm also using a v14, with another v14 still in the box. Once I find something that works for my feet, I try to stock up. I've also used the Addiction 12 and 14.

ETA: I also use Brooks Ghost, with insoles to help with my overpronation.

Good morning (er, afternoon) runDisney Allstars! Sorry, daylight savings got me.

Today’s question: What is your go to running shoe(s)?

My answer: I run in three shoes: Brooks Ghost, Hoka Clifton and Speedgoat. I have run in the Ghosts for years and use them for training and races at about 10 miles and down. I use Clifton’s for longer distances. I am a big guy and like the extra cushion the Clifton provides when I am out longer. That is all on pavement though. When the snow is finally gone from this tundra and I start hitting the trails again I run in my Speedgoats. They provide fantastic traction, good cushioning and a little more stability than my other neutral shoes. I appreciate all this out on the trails. The only down fall to these shoes is that none are cheap! I look for sales and buy in bulk. Have a good week all.
So I have altras. But I started having plantar fasciitis issues and it being a neutral shoe is not helping.. I kept with these shoes cause I did not switch so close to my half marathon. I love these shoes for the wide box. Soo comfy... so now that I am done with Princess I went to local running store tried on a bunch of shoes that have more structure and help with my issues. My wide small feet are an issue though... they did not have anything in my size... so they are ordering a few different ones and we shall see what I like. Also wish wide feet had more cuter options... I see all these cute shoes and then I ask if they have it in wide and it is a big nope.. why no love for wide.

So I have altras. But I started having plantar fasciitis issues and it being a neutral shoe is not helping.. I kept with these shoes cause I did not switch so close to my half marathon. I love these shoes for the wide box. Soo comfy... so now that I am done with Princess I went to local running store tried on a bunch of shoes that have more structure and help with my issues. My wide small feet are an issue though... they did not have anything in my size... so they are ordering a few different ones and we shall see what I like. Also wish wide feet had more cuter options... I see all these cute shoes and then I ask if they have it in wide and it is a big nope.. why no love for wide.

Altras with Superfeet Green was a lifesaver for me

SAFD: I use Adidas Solar Boosts (on a pair of 3s now with about 700 miles on them) for daily training. I like the 19 version of them the best though. They can take a ton of miles and the outsole is really durable but they're too heavy for racing. I like Saucony Endorphin Speeds for races, I'm trying out the Endorphin Pro in a few weeks for a half.

SAFD: I am also currently a NB Fresh Foam 1080 fan. I am probably on my 11th or 12th pair at this point.

Once I find a shoe that works, I usually stick with it until the manufacturer changes something that screws it up. Then, I find the next shoe that works for me and stick with it. The search for a new shoe is sometimes painful, so I tend to stock up on shoes once I find a new one that works. Over the past 35 years of running, I have switched on average every 2-4 years. I have used Nike, NB, Adidas, Saucony, Hoka, and Mizuno at different times.

Last edited:

I'm currently in the Asics Gel Cumulus 22 and New Balance 1080v10 but I don't love either one (the Asics are a bit better but they're still meh). I used to love the New Balance 880 but one year they switched up the cushioning to something that just didn't work for me. I also loved the Brooks Levitate 2 but didn't try the newer models because I didn't want to pay that much for shoes. Haven't found a shoe I really love since.
So basically I just keep switching shoes trying to find something I love.

SAFD: Fun topic! I always like reading what others use. I'm primarily a Brooks Adrenaline runner, but the recently released 22 is redesigned and causing me foot pain, so I had to stock up on remaining 21 where I was able to find them (luckily, they're still around). I also like Asics Gey Kayano, but I don't use them often - currently using a 26.

Good morning (er, afternoon) runDisney Allstars! Sorry, daylight savings got me.

SAFD: I am an Asics runner. I’ve been using their Kayanos since my first marathon in 2005. Not every iteration works for me, so when I find one that does, I stock up during sales. I also use the Noosa Tri for my shorter triathlons, and will buying a pair of Metaspeeds before my IM later this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter