Marathon Weekend 2022

I do parts of most trips solo and parts with family and I like each of them equally. I like to fly super early on the first day of my trip to get extra time in the parks and most of the time my family is unable to do so, so I usually have a park day in my own to start the trip.

I am an introverted introvert (to play on some of the parlance used earlier) and can rarely work up the courage to talk to people I don’t know. Since I’m alone at home almost all of the time (other than my dogs) I am very comfortable on my own. Although I’ve never been able to go to movies, sit down restaurants, concerts, sporting events, etc. on my own at home, there is something about Disney that makes it very easy for me to spend a day on my own at the parks. I still don’t schedule table service meals for myself but attractions, quick service, shows, buses/Skyliner, etc. I have no problem being on my own (and better yet, able to plan my day exactly as I want).

As others have said, it’s an individual thing. Not sure there’s any way to totally understand how you’ll like it until you’ve done it.

I've done 5 rD weekends with my non-runner wife and it is a bit of a juggling act at times, but we always work it out just fine. I was in Orlando a few years ago and went to Disney by myself for a day. It was a bit weird at times, as I kept looking over my shoulder to comment about something cool at the Parks and there was nobody there. I still enjoyed the day and am glad I went.

If you decide to go solo, I hope that you attend the meetup at HHs and join us for DATW (even if you drink nothing stronger than iced tea) on Monday. Some of the group have become good friends and enjoy catching up with each other, but I have still found them to be very inviting to newcomers like me.

Edit..check out the group photo of DATW that I got from @ihermiston on page 32 of this thread. We are a pretty eclectic group of all ages, genders, sizes, and running abilities.
I was able to reserve epcot on the app for DATW! my first bit of planning done.

I went solo in 2019 and 2020 and it was amazing. I'm a total introvert, but I have 3 young boys at home who are high energy, high noise all the time. It was such a relief to have a quiet room to myself and to sleep whenever I wanted. There are tons of people in the parks alone, so I wouldn't give that a second thought. I never felt weird about that. I didn't mind table service either, but I always brought a book so I wasn't just staring into space. I didn't have a chance to do any of the meetups, but that's one of my goals for 2022 or whenever the next MW is!

In 2018 I went with the family and wore myself out before the race. I felt the need to cater to the family and expended more energy than I should have by opening and closing the parks for the week before the race. Both DS and I cramped up during the race, but luckily we both finished without injury.

In 2020 I did a solo trip for MW. I am like many others here, an introvert. I was worried at first about riding attractions solo, having meals on my own, etc. That quickly passed. It was amazing. Not having to cater to others, being able to focus on you and the race, not being worried about getting the proper rest in your room, waking up at 2am, etc... Also, it helped push me into meeting and chatting with others at WDW. I highly recommenced it.

I was thinking about doing MW2022 solo, but my DS and DD got wind and have invited themselves along. My requirement of them was to run one of the races with me. I also have Pop booked for MW, but will wait on doing any of the other bookings until we here more from runDisney.

Can all of you wonderfully experienced runners talk to me about SOLO rD trips? Sil and I just got back from our “princess weekend” trip and I could seriously take the money she’s paying me for her half of the trip and pay for most of a registration and room reservation. But I would 90% likely be going by myself (well, I would take the 2 year old and drop her at grandma and grandpa’s since they are about 2 hours from Orlando during the winter.)

Marathon day will be ON my birthday if they have in person races next year and that seems like a “well you obviously have to do that!” coincidence.
I was surprised about how fun a solo rD trip can be. Sure, there were moments when I wished I could share with my family but others that would never have happened otherwise. Random things to consider:
- Plan to meet other DISers (before or after the races, at DATW or other planned meetings.
- Think about how to apply sunscreen and/or glide to your back if it is going to be necessary.
- Schedule rest or pool time at your resort after the longer races. Not only floating helps with the recovery, I often ended up chatting with other runners there too.
- If you always dreamed of rope dropping and will go to the park on non race mornings, being solo will allow it.
- Ask for photographers to take pictures, either with your phone or with their cameras if you purchase Memory Maker. Their action race pictures are the best I have.
- Eat what you want, where you want and when it suits you.
- Visit what you want, where you want and when it suits you. Park Hopper, if they are fully back, help with that flexibility.

Speaking of doing what you want when you want; I was shocked how much I loved the park experience when I was there for my short trip at the end of January. I always thought I liked FP+ and the ability to plan it afforded but ... I had so much more fun when the line is just the line, you know relatively how long it will take, make your decision whether to wait or not, and you’re not at the mercy of a priority line that may or may not drastically impact your wait.

It helped me realize how often FP+ negatively impacted us on an average visit. So many times we would be paralyzed with doubt over whether we could get something (an attraction, meal, shopping) done and still make our window. It led to so much inefficiency. Also, lines aren’t nearly as bad when they are moving and you feel like progress is happening. The most frustrating part of the lines with FP+ was never knowing when they will move or stall out for 5 minutes (or more) while only the FP line moved.

I’m not naive enough to think things will stay this way after reopening (I’m very much of the belief FP+ will be reintroduced as pay to play) but it was really refreshing.

- If you've trained up to be able to run a marathon, you can do Dopey (assuming good health)
- Bring multiple pairs of shoes (I don't necessarily subscribe to this advice, but many around here do)
- The hardest part about Dopey isn't the miles, it's getting up early each morning

1) Bring multiple pairs of shoes - I would bring at least 2 pairs simply because there may be one day when it rains and you'd need the backup shoes for the next race.

2) Getting up early - I have no idea why this is a problem for soooooo many people. For me it is the miles! :)

1) Bring multiple pairs of shoes - I would bring at least 2 pairs simply because there may be one day when it rains and you'd need the backup shoes for the next race.

2) Getting up early - I have no idea why this is a problem for soooooo many people. For me it is the miles! :)

1. Okay, yes. Rain is a valid concern. I stand corrected. I think that falls under the advice of bring gear for all weather since the last few years have been either bitterly cold or the hottest MW on record.

2. I can handle the miles. It's getting up at 2 a.m. and staying at the parks until 9 or 10 p.m. each day that gets me.

Can all of you wonderfully experienced runners talk to me about SOLO rD trips?
Since 2010, all my RunDisney weekends, WDW and DL, have been solo. The first few trips seemed strange without the grandkids around. Now, I actually prefer going solo for race weekends. It allows me time to relax and recover from one race before doing another. Another consideration at this time are the health and security measures. I can see how, if they are in place when RunDisney events open, that could add more stress to a trip with family.

SAFD:
I have to agree with someone who mentioned Disney Cuisine (especially counter service) isn't too glorious of a thing to behold. That being said:
- I really like the roast beef and the ribs at Docking Bay 7 in HS. They are quite tasty and very filling! I think probably the best counter service food in all of WDW (including Disney Springs).
- The food and scenery of Flame Tree BBQ at AK is a close second. Yummy food and a wonderful respite from the busy park. You feel like you've stepped through a portal - especially during really busy days at AK!

Oh I can completely see the benefits of not waking your family up at 2am, and dealing with them wanting to go do all of the things when you are completely exhausted.....but it just seems....WEIRD to think about going on a "Disney trip" by myself. I feel like I would probably just stay in my room the whole time except for the race and to get food because I would feel too weird about being alone.
I've never done an entire trip solo, but I've had solo mornings and evenings. There is something so special about going where you want and doing what you want when you feel like it! It's a good opportunity to spend extra time doing things you love, but maybe people who are usually in your party don't care about as much. I was very nervous the first time I did anything alone because I thought I was gonna a) look like a weirdo and b) be sad I was alone. Truth is I didn't feel like a weirdo once I got going and I found myself really enjoying going at my own pace. I certainly wouldn't want every trip to be solo, but it's nice from time to time. I think when I'm alone, I feel less pressure to make sure everyone is having a good time as well. I really enjoy planning and coordinating our days at Disney, but having a laid back experience is pretty nice too!

2) whats people thoughts on character stops? Do you think Disney will allow those again by January 2022? I must admit i spent a LONG time planning for MW 2021 and having never done a disney race before i was keen to get as many of these as i could. Im just concerned that although the races might be bought back, will all the "extras" that make this event so unique return alongside (I appreciate no one knows for sure, but thoughts and opinions are welcome!)
Honestly, I would watch for when regular character meet and greets return to the parks. That will likely indicate that they will also be available during races.
4) Anyone got any nice suggestions of where they go to have their photograph taken once they have all their medals. Im thinking the kind of obvious places (In front of the tree of life @ AK, Castle at MK, Golf Ball @ Epcot etc..) but id like a few perhaps lesser known but equally iconic kind of areas (perhaps ToT @ HS?)
Themed land icons also work as great medal pic places such as the Millennium Falcon or X-Wing in Galaxy's Edge, Buzz/Woody gigantic figures in Toy Story Land, floating mountains in Pandora, dinosaur skeleton in Dinoland, and just about anywhere in World Showcase. If running Dopey or all races in the weekend, it's fun to hang them from the posts in front of the train station in Magic Kingdom.
My MO for medal pictures is based around race characters, not WDW location. So for Marathon I always find Mickey, Goofy Challenge, I find Goofy, etc. Characters always make a fuss about runners with "their"medal. Maybe add that to your list.
Character interactions are amazing with race medals in many cases. When it's their "theme" they go all out, but even if it's not their theme some will go all out. Minnie in particular is a great choice just by virtue of running. She will very likely make a huge deal out of it. She loved my BB-8 medal from the 2017 Light Side 10K at Disneyland and had decided that my 2019 WDW 10K medal with her on it needed to "kiss" my 2019 WDW Marathon medal with Mickey on it. Chip and Dale also love to play with spinner medals.
For Marathon trips, we always spend the most time at Epcot. So, our favorite tradition was to take our picture in each country with our medal. So, instead of drinking around the world, we took photos around the world. Found great spots in each country.
Back with the old Kessel Run medal, I loved taking that to each park and take action photos of the medal flying through the parks.
Can all of you wonderfully experienced runners talk to me about SOLO rD trips? Sil and I just got back from our “princess weekend” trip and I could seriously take the money she’s paying me for her half of the trip and pay for most of a registration and room reservation. But I would 90% likely be going by myself (well, I would take the 2 year old and drop her at grandma and grandpa’s since they are about 2 hours from Orlando during the winter.)

Marathon day will be ON my birthday if they have in person races next year and that seems like a “well you obviously have to do that!” coincidence.
The greatest advantage to a solo trip especially for races is that you decide your agenda. When you eat, where you eat, how early or late you stay in the parks and what attractions/shows/experiences you want to do as many or as few times as you like.

I have some very treasured memories from family visits. Pretending it's all real in Galaxy's Edge with my nephews was legendary. Equally legendary was pretending it was all real in Galaxy's Edge by myself.
I go to WDW solo all the time: I promise, it's not weird - it's glorious!
It's amazing. The distancing measures in November meant that all solo travelers had the Smugglers Run attraction entirely to themselves. Pilot. Every. Single. Time. Which is otherwise impossible as a Solo rider.
I am certainly not anti-technology--smartphones are great tools and Disney has made it difficult to get the most out of your experience without a smartphone. But just whenever you are standing in line by yourself or sitting down to eat by yourself, maybe just resist that initial urge for 5-10 minutes and absorb the environment around you, and then check whatever it is you've actively chosen to look at on your phone.
This is very true and very important. I have friends and family who want pictures of my solo adventures, so I often do that in queues, etc. But I often remind myself to make sure that I experience this for myself instead of texting photos, observations, etc. to family and friends. This helps me both enjoy the solo experience, but also not feel by myself even if my friends that understand my geekdom are far away.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

It’s starting to get warm enough again in my neck of the woods to make running truly enjoyable. So for this week’s Sundays are for Disney I’m asking: what do you like about running?

Running for me started off as trying to bring my weight down a bit after college and my first few years of fatherhood did some damage to my waistline. I came to enjoy the mental health benefits of running, as well, something I’d never experienced before.

As I started entering races to stay motivated, running became something to fuel my competitive side. Not against other runners, but against myself. How far and how fast could I go? How hot or cold could it get before I gave in?

As I’ve completed more marathons and challenges, running also fuels my sense of pride. I participated in sports through high school, but I was not athletic and a “benchwarmer.” Knowing I can run four races in four days or multiple marathons in a year gives me confidence and boosts my self esteem.

Also, running beats the heck out of going to a gym.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter