Marathon Weekend 2022

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

It’s starting to get warm enough again in my neck of the woods to make running truly enjoyable. So for this week’s Sundays are for Disney I’m asking: what do you like about running?

I'm mostly a walker, but I'm looking to add more running into my routine. I have started seeing a PT for my knee and he is helping me learn proper form, which is super helpful!

As a very unathletic, uncoordinated person, being able to set mileage goals and complete them has been SUPER rewarding! Things I've been proud of in life have always been goals other people/society have set. Finishing school, doing well at work, etc. are things that I feel are expected of me. Races/challenges are things that I'm doing that make me say "wow, I did that!" Races are things no one has told me to do or even probably thought I could do.

From the non-goal setting point of view, I've never been a person who spends time exercising outdoors. With Covid spurring the idea to do virtual races and the necessity to complete them outside, I've found that I really have enjoyed all of my time outdoors. It's been very good for me mentally.

SAFD: Literally nothing. Running is dumb and has basically ruined my sleep schedule and made people think I'm something I'm not (a runner).
But I do like that they give you shiny objects at the end sometimes.

Oh wait, I like running because it's faster than walking, so even though I can't do it in my normal shoes and I need to buy special shoes that cost a lot of money, I like that I can cover more ground in the same amount of time. Okay, that sounds much better.

SAFD: What do I like about running?

Great, great question! Like a lot of us, I love the physical/mental/self-esteem benefits of running. I started running because obesity runs in my family and I was already headed down that path in my 40's when I decided I needed to do something about it. Since 2013, I've managed to achieve and sustain a weight loss of ~50 pounds, so that's an obvious benefit of running. Mentally, I feel so much better after a run; calmer and happier. I think that helps me as a spouse and a parent. The racing part has satisfied my competitive side, and it's taken me to some pretty amazing race events - obviously, a bunch of runDisney races, but also Boston, Chicago, Marine Corps, Berlin, and Disneyland races in California and Paris. They've all been amazing experiences.

I also love that I've inspired others and others have inspired me. I've met some amazing people running, both locally and online on boards like this. I love that the community really encourages each other. Most of my family has joined in my running, and I've had the privilege to finish marathons alongside my wife, son, brother, brother-in-law, and all sorts of friends. Those are some of my best memories, and I can't wait to do it again.

SAFD:
It justifies the more than 10 pairs of running shoes that I have in the queue! But in all seriousness it's just the best medicine for me even though it has led to countless achilles surgeries and PT sessions. It helps get me out my funks when those arise, generally feel good about myself and is my ticket to not eating so healthy!

Last edited:

SAFD: I didn't start running until I was 48, so I still don't like running in general and without live races to push me into training, I have to force myself to go do it. But the experience doing the events is worth it to me. The energy, the volunteers, spectators, the other runners, now it's something I don't want to miss. I also love to travel and races give me a good excuse to travel and gain new experiences. And it keeps me in decent shape.

SAFD:
  • The stress relief
  • The runner's high
  • The mental improvement
  • Exploring and chasing the limits of my physical ability
  • Being able to have more mouth pleasure from the extra calories I can take in
  • Getting the exercise I am told that is necessary for a happy and healthy life
  • The sense of accomplishment
  • The running community
  • The bling
  • Using it as an enabler for my Disney addiction
It is a love/hate relationship, but at this point there is more love than hate.

SAFD: Hmmm. Well, I run because it's a fairly straightforward activity and--not to be discounted--I can do it alone. I also--for better or worse--am a fairly decent runner for my age group. This has gone from being a positive motivating factor in my "early" running years (the age of 50) to being annoying now (at 62). My ever-elusive goal will be to give up racing and just run for fun. When I am recovering from injury, I can do this (for obvious reasons) but then I feel like I should not "give up" trying to race.

Blah, blah, blah. I will say I have never had a runner's high, but I have had some running achievements that made me proud that I was able to put in the work to do something I had never thought I could ever do.

SAFD: Literally nothing. Running is dumb and has basically ruined my sleep schedule and made people think I'm something I'm not (a runner).
But I do like that they give you shiny objects at the end sometimes.

Oh wait, I like running because it's faster than walking, so even though I can't do it in my normal shoes and I need to buy special shoes that cost a lot of money, I like that I can cover more ground in the same amount of time. Okay, that sounds much better.
This is me. I like the swag. I hate running. I used to hate every step. Now I hate the first two miles... and the last three.

SAFD:
There is a part of truth for me in those answers, including the ones from @SarahDisney and @Carol_ above.

The main reasons I like running is the lack of overhead (besides the self induced dragging), the possibility to do it pretty much anywhere and to explore at the same time and the outdoor.

The reasons I like racing are the sense of accomplishment and the bling.

SAFD:

So I have always been a runner, sort of. I was a track athlete from the age of 8. I completed on age group teams in the Junior Olympics and then in JR. High, HS and college. But then I sat on my laurels for 20+ years. I still thought of myself as a runner but slowly I became quite sedentary and heavy. I would run for short periods of time but never stuck to it.

In my early 40’s I just decided it was time to run again. I love it. I love the challenge, the sense of accomplishment, the community, and the bling. I have appreciated better health, some weight loss, much better energy and mental health.

Don’t get me wrong it still hurts at times and some days are tougher than others. But as a whole I am much happier running than not..

SAFD: Like most of you, my relationship with running is complex-
- helps keep me sane - I feel better mentally and emotionally
- Helps me sleep better
- Is a catalyst for me to eat healthy - my running is greatly improved when I am eating healthy stuff, and takes a hit if I indulge in a bunch of crap stuff
- has brought some of my closest friends into my life - you can really bond with someone training for a marathon together!
- Has taken me places and provided me experiences I never dreamed of - running down Main Street, running through the streets of NYC being cheered on by a million + people, being congratulated by a Marine at the end of the MCM (and I hope to do some international marathons when all this mess is over!)
- Is something I can do almost anywhere - just lace up, open the door and go!

I'm following this thread for my wife to find out when/if the Jan. 2022 marathon weekend will open up, but I have to ask - what does SAFD mean? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

SAFD: I love running, and believe me I never thought I would ever say that, because it helps provide structure to my fitness efforts. I'm still not very good at running for the sake of it, but I find that having races, even including virtual ones during the pandemic, helps provide motivation to get out there and do something. Races, even virtual ones, give me something to work towards and eventually I find myself back in that groove where I may skip some days that I shouldn't, but I always find the motivation to get back out there.

More importantly, running has taught me a lot about the tremendous value of consistently doing the little things and seeing those benefits accumulate, sometimes at a much greater rate. It has also taught me that tasks I once believed quite literally impossible for me to ever do can actually become reality with dedication and preparation. This applies to both physical goals and life matters.

I also like that running has afforded me the opportunity to actually step on the field of not one, but two Major League Baseball stadiums and then thus sort of fulfill a childhood dream. It has also allowed me to experience the Disney theme parks in a new way I never have before.

I'm following this thread for my wife to find out when/if the Jan. 2022 marathon weekend will open up, but I have to ask - what does SAFD mean? I can't for the life of me figure it out.
@jmasgat already answered the SAFD portion of your question, but I wanted to chime in and say that it's a way for this community to get to know a little bit more about each other. For obvious reasons, we're here because we like Disney and running. SAFD allows us to get to know more about our unique and specific interests within those two areas and even help you see Disney parks in a new way. Particularly when it comes to dining. I have dined at spectacular restaurants at Disney World that I never would have even considered if not for seeing great reviews from this community

SAFD:
I did not play sports in school and not athletic at all. So when I started running, I was honestly terrified of going outside and thinking of people seeing me going slow. I didn’t like it. But as I did it more, I grew in confidence and found a sport I can do on my own. Running provided me a structure to get healthy. I also developed some great friendships through running. I also enjoy running because of this community’s support. It doesn’t matter why you run or what your running/walking pace. Everyone is encouraging and welcoming. And running has provided a great reason to do Disney every year!!!!

SAFD: I love moving my body through space - always have! Ballet was my passion for the first chunk of life, and was my career plan, but that was derailed by a significant injury. Without ballet every day, I found soccer, downhill skiing, hiking, tennis, swing-dancing, and just run-walking for 15 minutes for stress release. I still practice ballet, along with yoga and Pilates to stay supple and strong, but run-walking has taken the top place in my exercise routine: I love the time alone to empty my thoughts, tune in to music, and enjoy the great outdoors.

SAFD: I'm not a super fast runner, partially because I lack the ability to be consistent in my training. I love that powerful feeling when I've been running consistently for a few months and it starts to feel almost effortless. I love challenging myself to chase the PRs. I love talking to other runners. It makes me happy to see my twelve year old daughter finish a race, usually ahead of me!

OK I'm joining in.

SAFD:

What do I like about running. I like that it's NOT a cardio "workout" in the sense that 'insanity' or 't25' are workouts. All that jumping around in place. Ugh. I've never been a big fan of cardio in general, but also have recognized more and more the past few years that if I'm going to have any hope of "keeping up" with my kids that I needed to do it. Running is very much outside of my comfort zone of competitive team sports, because I know that I will never come even remotely close to winning as much as an age-group award. So running really is just 'for me.' And I'm very much looking forward to putting a "smug" 13.1 or 26.2 sticker on my car at some point. :ssst:

I like that I get to buy pretty new shoes for it.
I like that I can plan a disney trip for it.
I like that I can set a goal that's 5 or 10 months out and work toward it in a measurable way.
I like that I get shiny pretty things for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter