Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: We haven't finalized our park days yet, but I'm thinking we'll do:
Friday: AK/Expo
Saturday: DHS
Sunday: Epcot (we are at CB, so this should hopefully be a good option for DH to get to the park/finish line and back with the skyliner. He got stuck on a bus for over an hour in 2019 trying to get to the finish line, so we want to avoid that if possible this time.)
Monday: MK

SAFD:
Wednesday-arrive and go to the expo
Thursday- 5K, rest, 5:30pm Cirque Show
Friday- 10K, move from ASMo to BCV, HS- I only really want to go to Galaxy's Edge, maybe HH meet up?
Saturday- Half, rest day, Beaches and Cream for late lunch
Sunday- Full, EP- hoping to get on Remy, Le Cellier early dinner, eat all the desserts
Monday- MK and fly home

I'll be back in March for a family vacation so I don't plan on spending a lot of time in the parks and if the weather is warm it may be even less than I have planned now.

SAFD:

Plans a bit in flux as my DD cannot run with me now, so appears will be a solo trip again.

Thurs: Drive down, hit the expo then some time in AK with dinner at Nomad Lounge.
Fri: 10-K followed by a little time in HS. Planning on trying to hit a couple meet ups in the afternoon and then the charity I am running for is hosting a dinner.
Sat: HM then maybe a little time back in Epcot. Dinner at Disney Springs. May change current plans since now solo and prefer to find a bar or quick service to sit at rather than table service currently reserved.
Sun: Try not to die in marathon, followed by MK and celebratory steak for dinner in Disney Springs.
Monday: Maybe HS for a bit before I begin the trek home.

I’ve seen a few comments about throw aways. Never been that cold despite running a few races with snow on the ground. But wondering if there’s some disposable covers that can be purchased like they wrap around you after a race. Does anyone know of anything?
As others have said, you can buy Mylar blankets very cheaply. I use them, but find they work best over warm throwaway layers. We've had years when the wind chill was in the teens: sitting/standing in that for an hour or more pre-race gets very, very cold! I'm a big fan of fleece: fleece jacket, blanket, bathrobe, sweatpants, etc. - fleece is really good at creating warmth, and the Mylar on top traps it in and cuts the wind.

How many pairs of shoes does everyone bring?
For Dopey, I bring 2-3 pairs: I could do 1 pair for 5K and half, and a 2nd pair for 10K and full, but I like having a spare in case of rain. Outside of the races, I'll have 2 pairs of non-running shoes, plus Crocs I use as slippers in my room.

SAFD: I don't spend much time in the parks on race weekends -
Wed. mostly gets eaten up with expo, moving into my resort, grocery shopping, and early bedtime.
Thurs. I usually make it to a park for lunch and a couple hours of light touring.
Fri. the same.
Sat. nope - rest and saving my legs.
Sun. maybe for dinner and fireworks if I'm not too tired after the marathon.
Mon. Medal day at MK!

SAFD: oops all of these responses made me realize, I hadn't thought at all about when I would go to the expo and pick up my bib etc! Have to fit that into my plans somewhere.
It will be the first time both of my kids come to Disney with us in a few years. The older is a young adult and too cool for school. We finally convinced him to come this time, and it may be the last time we are all there together, so I want to make sure we do all the things he used to like, and also see Galaxy's Edge because that's the big draw for him. The younger one comes down all the time, and will come down a few more trips with us this year, so he will go with the flow mostly. His focus is all the new 50th anniversary treats!
We didn't make a park reservation for Epcot, but have multiple days at the other parks. We are staying at the Dolphin and figured we will park hop over there a few times for food/drinks. Nobody is so crazy about rides etc in Epcot right now, that we wanted to burn a park reservation on it.
Still trying to get those Ohana and Biergarten reservations, but no dice so far.

Question for the ladies: Does anyone have a good method to secure a tutu for a race costume? I have worn one in the past and it drove me crazy riding up to my waist instead of staying on my hips. I'm afraid safety pins will rub my skin and also drive me crazy. Other methods?

SAFD -- Still a bit squishy, but this is the plan so far:

Wednesday: Land on redeye at 5:45am; pick up rental car, get coffee and breakfast on the way to drop stuff at VGF bell services. Run over to MK for a few hours. I don't want to deal with opening morning lines at the expo, and I've always gone early afternoon and had good luck. I also have family coming over from the Tampa area (ETA tbd) who will need to check in for the 10K. Early dinner at Trattoria, then head to the room to settle in. DH arrives late after some work obligations.
Thursday: 5K, pack up and drop stuff at BWV bell services, meet the fam at Studios, Brown Derby lunch. When room is ready, make a grocery run and head back to unpack and settle early. Dinner from QS on the Boardwalk or maybe make something in the room.
Friday: 10K with stepdad, Olivia's late breakfast, HH meetup, probably some Epcot time.
Saturday: Half, Skipper Canteen lunch, spend some time walking around MK.
Sunday: Full, Beaches and Cream treat, Florida family heads home before my early first-Dopey-celebration dinner with DH at Citricos!
Monday: DH heads home early for work obligations, but I am staying to join the DATW celebration I missed out on in 2020 after my first full.
Tuesday: Early flight home.

Last edited:
Question for the ladies: Does anyone have a good method to secure a tutu for a race costume? I have worn one in the past and it drove me crazy riding up to my waist instead of staying on my hips. I'm afraid safety pins will rub my skin and also drive me crazy. Other methods?
I've never worn a tutu, but I do use safety pins to keep Sparkle Athletic skirts in place on top of leggings/shorts and have never had any issue with them. I put both items on the night before and pin the skirt in place, then take the whole thing off as one piece. It's ready to roll the next morning without fooling around with pin placement. I've found placing pins in roughly the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock positions, if you think of your hips as a clock, work best. Pins face outward, so only the sliver of metal sits on the inside of your shorts/leggings.

I've never worn a tutu, but I do use safety pins to keep Sparkle Athletic skirts in place on top of leggings/shorts and have never had any issue with them. I put both items on the night before and pin the skirt in place, then take the whole thing off as one piece. It's ready to roll the next morning without fooling around with pin placement. I've found placing pins in roughly the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock positions, if you think of your hips as a clock, work best. Pins face outward, so only the sliver of metal sits on the inside of your shorts/leggings.
Awesome! Thanks for these lovely instructions! I will have to try this out!

And if your leggings/shorts have a double layer waistband, it could be possible to not stick the pin through the 2nd layer.

it was also pointed out in a fb group that if you are a frequent bathroom stopper, and a porta Potty might be a necessity, to pin your skirt to your top and tuck your shirt into your shorts/leggings so you don't have to choose between unpinning and having your skirt on the lovely floor of the porta or bathroom.:crazy2:

its definitely worth a test run during training.

And if your leggings/shorts have a double layer waistband, it could be possible to not stick the pin through the 2nd layer.

it was also pointed out in a fb group that if you are a frequent bathroom stopper, and a porta Potty might be a necessity, to pin your skirt to your top and tuck your shirt into your shorts/leggings so you don't have to choose between unpinning and having your skirt on the lovely floor of the porta or bathroom.:crazy2:

its definitely worth a test run during training.
I never would have though about that, but a very valid concern!

^ Part of why I opt for Sparkle Athletic skirts - they're short and don't touch any surface when potty-ing! I always wonder how people manage those really big, poufy tutus. But I also always see a lot of them discarded on the course, so maybe they're not particularly manageable at all lol!

This is my first time taking my kids to Disney, and I'm not sure what our schedule will be yet! So far, it's me, my mom, and my kids arriving Friday morning and leaving Thursday evening. I'm running the marathon on Sunday. We have park and dining reservations, but I think those might change!

SAFD:
I'm thinking of watching the new Cirque du Soleil show so these plans may change.

Tuesday: AK, dinner at DS
Wednesday: AK, Expo, Epcot
Thursday: 5K, MK, Trader Sam's, fireworks
Friday: 10K, HS, HH meetup
Saturday: HM, HS or Epcot or pool day
Sunday: Marathon, MK, dinner at Steakhouse 71
Monday: DATW, lunch at Via Napoli

I still have spots for lunch at Via Napoli during DATW if anyone is interested. We did a group lunch back in 2019 and it was nice to be able to take a break. I know I haven't posted much lately so you are probably wondering who I am but @lhermiston will be there and we all know him!

SAFD:

1/4: Land at MCO and stay in the airport Marriott. We were planning to come in on the 5th but the flight got moved to later in the day and we would rather get in a day early.
1/5: Head to property, check in, go to the expo, and we are thinking of trying mini-golf
1/6: Wife is doing the 5K then we are heading to DHS with a Hollywood & Vine ADR.
1/7: Magic Kingdom with a 20 minute photo shoot
1/8: Lunch at Beaches & Cream and then we are heading to Crayola World and dinner somewhere off property with some Florida family and friends
1/9: Marathon, Boma dinner, not sure what else but this might be our Disney Springs Day
1/10: Breakfast at Topolino then MK
1/11: Fly home

Along the lines of plans, I’ve been curious: is it worth a shot to head over to Trader Sams after the marathon, or will a whole lot of people have the same idea to celebrate there? Been thinking about going on Sunday night, or maybe Monday night if I can fit it in (I’ll most likely be going to Uni that day).

Anyone ever purchase photopass for the marathon weekend? Reviews or thoughts? TIA
I have done this in past years when I didn't have an AP (back in the glory days of free photos w/ AP!) - worth it to me to get all the race photos, not have to hand over my phone at every character stop, plus get some great celebratory medal photos in the parks.
I will do it for this MW since no free pics w/ my AP :sad2: - if you are traveling/running with someone you can split the cost, as you can load multiple bibs to the photopass.

SAFD: I’m local, but staying on site for Dopey. No plans really. I don’t even have park reservations other than Epcot for DATW on Monday! I just want to enjoy time away from real life. I am okay with whatever time for HH meetup on Friday. I am just excited to see everyone!

Wed: Expo & maybe Disney Springs for dinner or MK for fireworks
Thu: 5K & ????
Fri: 10K, HH meetup, Il Mulino dinner
Sat: Half, brunch at Wine Bar George, dinner at Topolino’s Terrace
Sun: Full, dinner at ‘Ohana (haven’t been here since 2009!!!)
Mon: DATW, lunch Via Napoli

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter