Marathon Weekend 2020

I've been kind of out of the loop for the past couple of months, but as i failed to get in a proof of time, does anyone know the different times each corral typically starts? Thank you. Was hoping to get in a better corral for more meet and greets and less looking over my shoulder. lol

I can't say with a high level of accuracy until I see the number of bibs. But this is a rough guess if it's similar to Marathon Weekend 2019:

HM
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 7.50.40 PM.png

M
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 7.52.49 PM.png

I can't even with this "stretching green".

I had a dream last night that I started dead last because I was late and I had to run my marathon through some hotel floors and a haunted house because the course had already closed. Not sure what that means...
It means your marathon weekend dreams are already starting!!:scared1:

I had a dream last night that I started dead last because I was late and I had to run my marathon through some hotel floors and a haunted house because the course had already closed. Not sure what that means...
I swear I have had this same exact dream!
All my excitement about the new course kind of went away when I saw the new race retreat replacement. It really does feel like the uber-positive, hyped up announcement is trying to counter-narrative a change that is actually disappointing or downright aggravating.
Anybody on here stalking the USATF site or whatever site registers any new certified course maps?

I swear I have had this same exact dream!
All my excitement about the new course kind of went away when I saw the new race retreat replacement. It really does feel like the uber-positive, hyped up announcement is trying to counter-narrative a change that is actually disappointing or downright aggravating.
Anybody on here stalking the USATF site or whatever site registers any new certified course maps?
No, but now I will be stalking!:earseek:

Goofy Challenge is now sold out. Only Dopey left.

I don't know how I feel about this. In 2018 I think most everything sold out and the crowds were noticeable (it was also earlier in the year with the marathon on the 7th). In 2019 it didn't sell out and I liked the smaller crowds and vibe a lot. If I recall correctly I think there were 5,000 more people starting the marathon in 2018 than 2019. I hope the changes are positive and this gives runDisney incentive to keep improving the race weekend.

I don't know how I feel about this. In 2018 I think most everything sold out and the crowds were noticeable (it was also earlier in the year with the marathon on the 7th). In 2019 it didn't sell out and I liked the smaller crowds and vibe a lot. If I recall correctly I think there were 5,000 more people starting the marathon in 2018 than 2019. I hope the changes are positive and this gives runDisney incentive to keep improving the race weekend.

Part of sellout vs not sellout deals with the anniversary. 2019 had zero anniversaries. 2018 had Dopey's 5th. 2020 will have Goofy's 15th. I always kind of assumed Goofy would sell out due to it being an anniversary it was just a matter of when. Not sure if it will be as crazy as 2018, but things are more likely to sell when it comes to runDisney when its an anniversary year.

I think this is them making the field smaller. I would really find it hard to believe they have sold out 25,000 Spots for both the half and full now.

I don't think the sold out/not sold out status of Marathon Weekend makes a significant difference in overall park crowd sizes for the weekend. I've been there the past four years and there seems to be a far greater correlation with where the weekend falls in relation to New Year's and whether kids are still on winter break. I also agree with @rteetz that they've probably reduced the capacity of the weekend. With all of the construction going on and the constriction in the areas used for staging and corrals, a smaller field lets them keep the weekend alive while reducing the RunDisney footprint.

I’m so bummed. As much as I wanted to do the marathon, I just never signed up and knew I wouldn’t be ready. But I was starting to think I’d do the half, but now it’s sold out too. :( So unless it opens back up, I’m just doing the 10K.

I don't think the sold out/not sold out status of Marathon Weekend makes a significant difference in overall park crowd sizes for the weekend. I've been there the past four years and there seems to be a far greater correlation with where the weekend falls in relation to New Year's and whether kids are still on winter break. I also agree with @rteetz that they've probably reduced the capacity of the weekend. With all of the construction going on and the constriction in the areas used for staging and corrals, a smaller field lets them keep the weekend alive while reducing the RunDisney footprint.

I think you are right about park crowds being more correlated with how close the marathon weekend is to New Years. But I noticed a difference during the run too with 20% fewer runners in 2019 than 2018. Either way, I'll have fun doing my first Dopey and my wife running Disney for the first time (doing the 10k and half). Plus, I think we are only going to do one park day this time.

I’m so bummed. As much as I wanted to do the marathon, I just never signed up and knew I wouldn’t be ready. But I was starting to think I’d do the half, but now it’s sold out too. :( So unless it opens back up, I’m just doing the 10K.
I would keep watching. They have been playing with it. The half did open back up yesterday.

I think this is them making the field smaller. I would really find it hard to believe they have sold out 25,000 Spots for both the half and full now.
I'm hoping against hope for smaller fields! But I also think it's likely they're messing with us, drumming up FOMO with "sold out", then opening it again in a bit. When does the next price increase hit?

2018 was also the 25th anniversary of the Marathon. It is the only year I have done a runDisney race and it was CRAZY. At one point on Friday of the weekend we were over by Haunted Mansion eating lunch. We came out from lunch and decided the park was too busy and we would head back to our hotel. We literally STOOD STILL in the crowd for five minutes while NO ONE moved and there was NOWHERE to go!

It was insane. I would imagine it was partially because the local schools hadn't started yet, so I'm hoping this year will be better being later dates. Because we are both running Dopey, we won't be spending much time in the parks, only doing a couple fast passes per day at most. We plan to stay through Monday to do some park stuff, if we can still walk. LOL We aren't doing the cruise and CCC this time.

Part of sellout vs not sellout deals with the anniversary. 2019 had zero anniversaries. 2018 had Dopey's 5th. 2020 will have Goofy's 15th. I always kind of assumed Goofy would sell out due to it being an anniversary it was just a matter of when. Not sure if it will be as crazy as 2018, but things are more likely to sell when it comes to runDisney when its an anniversary year.

Okay, I am a botp runner and I found myself in some ridiculous bathroom lines for the marathon in 2018. As much as I wanted to avoid any bathroom stops, I just didn't. My first bathroom stop lasted 13 minutes and my second was 12 minutes. I tried to wait until the AK exit bathroom (where there was almost no line), but I just didn't make it.

Once the map is released for the race, I would love some help determining the best bathroom stops (just in case). As well, what are other BOTPer experiences in other years (the 2018 year was the Dopey anniversary and the 25th Marathon anniversary).

Okay, I am a botp runner and I found myself in some ridiculous bathroom lines for the marathon in 2018. As much as I wanted to avoid any bathroom stops, I just didn't. My first bathroom stop lasted 13 minutes and my second was 12 minutes. I tried to wait until the AK exit bathroom (where there was almost no line), but I just didn't make it.

Once the map is released for the race, I would love some help determining the best bathroom stops (just in case). As well, what are other BOTPer experiences in other years (the 2018 year was the Dopey anniversary and the 25th Marathon anniversary).

We usually hit the bathroom in MK in between Tomorrowland Terrace and The Plaza. I have never seen anyone else in them (including 2018) but we usually arrive just before sunrise. We always try to avoid any porta potties because they always seem to be busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter