Marathon Weekend 2020

For this week's Sundays are for Disney I want to know, when you're on a Disney vacation, what are your favorite things to do outside of the parks?
In the evenings, I like to go back to the room and watch tv. I don't watch a lot of tv at home and there's usually a Criminal Minds or Law & Order marathon on so I end up staying up way too late.

My latest medal thoughts: the Goofy medal would probably be my favorite it weren't for the circle things. I still like the 10K medal, but it's definitely different. Half marathon medal is kind of snazzy, but doesn't blow me away. I like the retro vibe of the marathon medal, but that's about it. Dopey medal is meh, IMO.

They are perfectly fine medals and all, but they make me like this year's medals so much more. I love the continuity of the 2019 medals.

Last edited:

As expected, the actual medals look much better than the artist renderings! I love the retro theme but find the designs incredibly basic. There isn’t much detail in any of the designs. 🤷‍♀️ I’m still excited for the “weekend” and finally earning that Pluto medal! (Oh, and the Mickey medal too...and another Oswald medal because one was not enough?🤣)

On another topic, training advice needed: Tomorrow I begin Hal Higdon’s Intermediate 1 marathon training program. Week 1 calls for 3-5-3 miles on T-W-T. However, I have been seeing my chiropractor and massage therapist after being rear ended a couple of weeks back and need to see them on Wednesday so I will not be able to run. Does it sound reasonable to adjust this week’s schedule to 5-0-5? I’m hoping it is just this week...and I realize this early on probably doesn’t make much of a difference... But, I clearly take this training thing seriously!

As expected, the actual medals look much better than the artist renderings! I love the retro theme but find the designs incredibly basic. There isn’t much detail in any of the designs. 🤷‍♀️ I’m still excited for the “weekend” and finally earning that Pluto medal! (Oh, and the Mickey medal too...and another Oswald medal because one was not enough?🤣)

On another topic, training advice needed: Tomorrow I begin Hal Higdon’s Intermediate 1 marathon training program. Week 1 calls for 3-5-3 miles on T-W-T. However, I have been seeing my chiropractor and massage therapist after being rear ended a couple of weeks back and need to see them on Wednesday so I will not be able to run. Does it sound reasonable to adjust this week’s schedule to 5-0-5? I’m hoping it is just this week...and I realize this early on probably doesn’t make much of a difference... But, I clearly take this training thing seriously!

I don't see why that would be an issue, especially in Week One. Sounds like you're not concerned about your base endurance level or anything like that? I always defer to Billy on training questions.

I hope the fender bender doesn't cause any lingering issues for you.

The medals definitely look better now than they did as renderings. I like Donald, Pluto and Goofy. The marathon and Dopey seem very simple and underwhelming, but not terrible. But really, RunDisney? You’re going to kick Minnie off of her own race and force Oswald on us instead of Chip and Dale just to give us a flat, lifeless piece of “bling” like that?

E4622B4E-0CDF-4A2E-824E-20D4FCE643F6.jpeg

On DME headed to the airport. Will probably update my journal for the first time in a long time later in the week with pictures and more detailed thoughts. But to catch up:

SAFD-before I had my AP I loved to spend time in Disney Springs walking around and exploring our resorts. Now? I’m in the parks most of the time and rarely hit up DS and time away from the parks is spent mainly resting up and cooling off for the next adventure. Particularly this trip, it was 100+ heat index every day. We were at AKL this time and, despite not being in a Savannah view room, had an amazing view:
35547640-EC04-4C37-AEB8-F836A0B65F13.jpeg
Unfortunately, we were in a sideways room. It made things like sleeping and staying on the surface of the earth difficult. I think we got the “there’s no one here because of Dorian and you’ve got a nice face” (minus the nice face) free savannah upgrade. Chilling out and watching giraffes was definitely a good time.

Other impressions:
-It was virtually empty Thursday and Friday. Walk-ons on attractions everywhere.
-Contrary to most (anecdotally), Smuggler’s Run was, by far, my favorite thing in Galaxy’s Edge. Pilot is the best experience, but I had fun as an engineer. Single rider queue was very fast moving and a good option as long as you’re fine being an engineer
-Built a droid as did my niece and nephew; they both went BB-series and I was drafted to make an R2-series. I think the R2 are far superior as practical vehicles and my niece and nephew (8 and 10) had a lot of envy about how much easier it was to maneuver mine. It was a pretty cool experience and souvenir. Maybe not $100 cool, but I don’t feel bad about it.
-Oga’s was meh. I don’t drink, I’m not the target but... It was aggressively overpriced even by Disney standards. The “seating” areas are overpacked. We were a group of 5 and seated in a corner nook next to the fire exit with a small ledge that would accommodate 4-5 adults standing. There was a group of 8 in there with us. I realize why Disney operates and don’t mind their commercialization, this is the first thing in any park that far outdistanced my taste for such things. We knew we would be standing, just didn’t realize we’d be packed in like cattle. Even the server, when they brought over the second group, was visibly angry that they were fitting 13 people in 2 groups into the area. Only good thing, my vastly overpriced non-alcoholic drink (blurrrgfire, I think, there are either too few or too many rs in there) was pretty good.
-Green and Blue milk. Not to my taste. May be fine for others. Very floral. Kind of tasted like drinking a tropical candle.
-Overall, the land is a good addition. We didn’t do everything or explore every corner, but it pretty much was what I thought it would be. Looking forward to Rise of the Resistance.
-We went multiple times during our days in HS. No land closures while we were there and Smuggler’s Run rarely eclipsed 75 minutes.
-We did every ride at all the parks in our days there. Soarin was a walk-on both times I was in Epcot. We hit flight of passage from the standby queue in under 25 minutes on Friday afternoon and under 40 minutes at 9:15 AM (no where near rope-drop) yesterday (Monday). It was crazy how empty the parks were. I’m know the hurricane influenced some of that, but I don’t think they would’ve been packed even without the weather. They were almost as empty as they were hot.

Sorry for rambling, full trip report in my journal in a few days.

Last edited:
SAFD: There's stuff to do outside the parks?!? I actually spend very little time outside the parks. I will go to Earl of Sandwich because I really like it, but that's about it. I did Star Wars Secrets of the Empire at The Void once in Downtown Disney and enjoyed that. But it's not really a do it every trip kind of thing either.

I am thinking that one of these days I should devote a day to not being in the parks, but we'll see if that actually happens especially now that Galaxy's Edge is open and my next trip should feature Rise of the Resistance.

This would have been a much better medal reveal than the artist renderings that produced a lot of questions.
I like them more than I thought I would based on the artist renderings.
Agreed. I feel like they tried to put some nice detail in the half, full, and Goofy medals.
But really, RunDisney? You’re going to kick Minnie off of her own race and force Oswald on us instead of Chip and Dale just to give us a flat, lifeless piece of “bling” like that?
Oh how I wanted Chip and Dale for the 5K or 10K medal. Now I figure they'll do it in a year which I can't make it down there.
We knew we would be standing, just didn’t realize we’d be packed in like cattle.
While I enjoyed Oga's, I hope it will be a better experience once the crowds die down. It's very loud and very crowded in there. I don't drink alcohol either. I found that my drinks there tasted better when I let them sit for a few minutes so the flavors could blend together. That said, my favorite drink in all of Galaxy's Edge is currently the Sour Sarlaac from Ronto Roasters. I've tried all the non alcoholic beverages that are not coffee or tea outside of Oga's and 3 of the ones in Oga's.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 2.18.18 PM.png

How does a 5 mile run compare to what you've been doing in the last three weeks? What kind of total mileage have you been doing in the last three weeks? If you've been doing runs close to 5 miles recently, and somewhere in the 20-24 miles per week the last three weeks, then I think you could easily do 5-0-5. But if you've been doing less, I'd aim for 5-0-3 instead. While 3-5-3 and 5-0-5 are close in total mileage (11 vs 10), they are somewhat different in how the body will perceive them based on time to complete a single run. For that reason, in some ways (but not all ways) 5-0-5 is more difficult than 3-5-3. So to be more conservative, I'd go with 5-0-3 which keeps the 5 at least as far from the Sat 5 pace as the original schedule (actually one extra day between) and keeps the original 3 where it was not to induce too much fatigue leading into the paced 5.

Either way though, if you have an appropriate base to starting the plan (something in the 17-22 mile range weekly), then you should be safe with either 5-0-5 or 5-0-3.

View attachment 434761

How does a 5 mile run compare to what you've been doing in the last three weeks? What kind of total mileage have you been doing in the last three weeks? If you've been doing runs close to 5 miles recently, and somewhere in the 20-24 miles per week the last three weeks, then I think you could easily do 5-0-5. But if you've been doing less, I'd aim for 5-0-3 instead. While 3-5-3 and 5-0-5 are close in total mileage (11 vs 10), they are somewhat different in how the body will perceive them based on time to complete a single run. For that reason, in some ways (but not all ways) 5-0-5 is more difficult than 3-5-3. So to be more conservative, I'd go with 5-0-3 which keeps the 5 at least as far from the Sat 5 pace as the original schedule (actually one extra day between) and keeps the original 3 where it was not to induce too much fatigue leading into the paced 5.

Either way though, if you have an appropriate base to starting the plan (something in the 17-22 mile range weekly), then you should be safe with either 5-0-5 or 5-0-3.
Thank you for the training feedback! My last 4 weeks:
  • Half Marathon on 8/17 = 22.1 mile week
  • Rest, 4, 7 miles (Sat, Sun) = 11 mile week
  • 5 miles, 25 min, 3 miles (accident) 4, 8 miles = 22 mile week
  • 5 miles (chiro and massage) 5, 5 miles (Tue, Fri, Sun) = 15 mile week
As you can see, 5 miles on a weekday and 20+ miles weeks are not a big deal. Hopefully this is the only week that my chiropractor and massage therapist insist I come in on my running days... But, if it takes another week or two, I truly appreciate your guidance! (You have a much better understanding of the purpose of these miles than I do!)

Thank you for the training feedback! My last 4 weeks:
  • Half Marathon on 8/17 = 22.1 mile week
  • Rest, 4, 7 miles (Sat, Sun) = 11 mile week
  • 5 miles, 25 min, 3 miles (accident) 4, 8 miles = 22 mile week
  • 5 miles (chiro and massage) 5, 5 miles (Tue, Fri, Sun) = 15 mile week
As you can see, 5 miles on a weekday and 20+ miles weeks are not a big deal. Hopefully this is the only week that my chiropractor and massage therapist insist I come in on my running days... But, if it takes another week or two, I truly appreciate your guidance! (You have a much better understanding of the purpose of these miles than I do!)

Then I'd agree that either a 5-0-5 or a 5-0-3 could be done with relatively minimal risk.

Question for you resort experts....there’s 3 of us now sharing a room at Pop. All our flights arrive at different times. Can we all still use Magical Express or is it only good if you’re all on the same flight?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter