Signs up for a marathon, loses motivation to run. Sounds about right, right?
After registering for Dopey, I envisioned a glorious first training run with the marathon becoming real. Instead, all 3 runs since have challenged me and tempted me to throw in the towel early on in two of them for pain or convenience reasons. I hope it's just good practice for the marathon when I absolutely do not want to throw in the towel. It's perhaps naive hope, but I believe that if I put in the training and avoid injury on race day, I can will myself to that finish line no matter what the race throws at me.

In light of comments from @jennamfeo and @rteetz ... what do you guys think about some sort of running competition/game? Like, you post your planned mileage for the week at the beginning of the week, and anyone who hits 90% of their mileage or more gets something? (And by something I mean a certificate or bragging rights ... or maybe a super cheap plastic medal for the people who have hit their goal the most by marathon weekend.)
Anyone interested in something like that? Would that help motivate some of the people who are struggling?
It's an interesting idea. Accountability works wonders to keep my motivation where it should be.

Last Saturday I felt an extreme tightness in my upper right calf less than 8 minutes into my run. I tried to power through it to see if it would go away. It didn't. But I didn't want to quit, so I slowed down and made it to the end of my run just fine. When that happens during a non critical training period, it's so much easier to shut it down when clearly I did not need to stop. I just needed to recognize that for whatever reason, I needed to go slower that day.

In light of comments from @jennamfeo and @rteetz ... what do you guys think about some sort of running competition/game? Like, you post your planned mileage for the week at the beginning of the week, and anyone who hits 90% of their mileage or more gets something? (And by something I mean a certificate or bragging rights ... or maybe a super cheap plastic medal for the people who have hit their goal the most by marathon weekend.)
Anyone interested in something like that? Would that help motivate some of the people who are struggling?

Great idea, Sometimes seeing others workouts makes you want to get out there just so you can post that you did it too! Virtual hi-fives go a long way for motivation.

Great idea, Sometimes seeing others workouts makes you want to get out there just so you can post that you did it too! Virtual hi-fives go a long way for motivation.

We have a group set up on Strava where you can see people's workouts, enter challenges together, etc. I don't know the link off the top of my head, but I'm sure @DopeyBadger does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter