Marathon Weekend 2018

Sunday's question: Marathon! Because 4 parks. :thumbsup2

Is it too early to start weather stalking?? :P:Do_O
I was just at WDW for Thanksgiving weekend and felt like I was revisiting 2017 marathon weekend! It was supposed to storm all day Thurs, but somehow managed to miss WDW while hitting the rest of the state. Put in a long run Fri morning that felt eerily similar to this year's DIY canceled Half: chilly, drizzly, windy and overcast. By Sat afternoon, it was sunny and warm again! This Floridian will be packing for every possible weather condition. :rotfl2:

I am ready to be back too, 11 days till we head down for a short Christmas trip with the kids, 5 weeks till we head down for marathon weekend.

How's your 3 caballero's costume coming?

I'll just miss y'all there for Christmas - I don't think we're going to end up in Orlando until the 17th or 18th (gotta go see my Saints in New Orleans on the way!).

Costumes are starting to slowly come together! Just put in a big shirt order today, so I'm hoping to dedicate this weekend to working on everything so then I can start packing next week!

I've learned my lesson and have already told my husband that I will be bringing EVERYTHING with me this time - four outfits for hot weather, four outfits for cold weather, four outfits for rain, four outfits for REALLY cold weather and four average weather outfits. Luckily, most of the costumes I'm planning can be easily adjusted for weather (just add arm sleeves or tights or what-not) ... I WILL NOT be going out in search of cold-weather gear this time around when all my nice, spendy stuff sits at home back in Texas in a drawer.

I'll just miss y'all there for Christmas - I don't think we're going to end up in Orlando until the 17th or 18th (gotta go see my Saints in New Orleans on the way!).

Costumes are starting to slowly come together! Just put in a big shirt order today, so I'm hoping to dedicate this weekend to working on everything so then I can start packing next week!

I've learned my lesson and have already told my husband that I will be bringing EVERYTHING with me this time - four outfits for hot weather, four outfits for cold weather, four outfits for rain, four outfits for REALLY cold weather and four average weather outfits. Luckily, most of the costumes I'm planning can be easily adjusted for weather (just add arm sleeves or tights or what-not) ... I WILL NOT be going out in search of cold-weather gear this time around when all my nice, spendy stuff sits at home back in Texas in a drawer.

On more than one occasion I've wound up searching through the target by Animal Kingdom trying to find cold weather gear. For running I usually have short and long sleeve shirts, and calf sleeves/so I'm usually good with whatever temp. What I'll find myself lacking is gear to keep warm during the hour and a half before the race start. I don't worry about rain that much (other than bringing multiple pairs of shoes so I don't have to run in wet shoes.

I just talked to the travel agent and have submitted my payment information, along with registering for the race! I am so excited and can't believe this is happening! This will be my first RunDisney race with a course that includes Magic Kingdom and although the rest of the course is relatively dull from what I've heard, I can't wait! I plan to take this race completely for fun and really hope to actually stop for a couple pictures this time - there will be no time crunch with worrying about having to get back to the resort to checkout since I get to stay until Sunday (I'll be planning to spend that morning in Epcot to spectate part of the Marathon). Fingers crossed for no weather problems like they had this year, and also fingers crossed for no travel problems (my biggest fear with traveling from Wisconsin in January).

Ha! It is never too early for me! There is a possibility I already have been for a few weeks (Accuweather has a LOOONG outlook, lol). But before everyone jumps in to remind me, I know it will change 1000 times before race weekend! :)

Yes, I was looking at Accuweather this morning and it was perfect weather, and like you said, it will change 1000 times, but I can't stop checking! :-)

Glad I'm not the only crazy one :crazy:

Glad I'm not the only crazy one :crazy:

Please no repeat of those freezing temperatures from last years full,I remember just sitting in a fetal position in my corral covered by a $9 Walmart blanket until the start of the anthem,picking up other peoples discarded gloves and just being very cold for like the first 13 miles.I'm a Floridian I would be happier with a repeat of 2013 where we had highs of 84-86,yeah I know many won't agree with that!!Obviously I rather have the temps I had for Space Coast yesterday,low around 55,high around 73 and mostly sunny,perfect.But if given the choice of warm or freezing I have to go with a little warm.

Please no repeat of those freezing temperatures from last years full,I remember just sitting in a fetal position in my corral covered by a $9 Walmart blanket until the start of the anthem,picking up other peoples discarded gloves and just being very cold for like the first 13 miles.I'm a Floridian I would be happier with a repeat of 2013 where we had highs of 84-86,yeah I know many won't agree with that!!Obviously I rather have the temps I had for Space Coast yesterday,low around 55,high around 73 and mostly sunny,perfect.But if given the choice of warm or freezing I have to go with a little warm.
oh hell no....it needs to be between 45 and 55 and no more, no less. I've been running in 35 to 38 the past week in Poland and it has been great...though just a little cold. so a few more degrees and it would be perfect...and I am coming from Houston where cold is 72 degrees

Morning temps in the upper 40s low 50s with little to no breeze would be great for marathon day. You have to think long term in how quickly it might warm up once that sun rises. Especially for those in the back corrals who get less darkness to run through.

I just talked to the travel agent and have submitted my payment information, along with registering for the race! I am so excited and can't believe this is happening! This will be my first RunDisney race with a course that includes Magic Kingdom and although the rest of the course is relatively dull from what I've heard, I can't wait! I plan to take this race completely for fun and really hope to actually stop for a couple pictures this time - there will be no time crunch with worrying about having to get back to the resort to checkout since I get to stay until Sunday (I'll be planning to spend that morning in Epcot to spectate part of the Marathon). Fingers crossed for no weather problems like they had this year, and also fingers crossed for no travel problems (my biggest fear with traveling from Wisconsin in January).
Yay, so exciting! Running through Magic Kingdom is truly magical, you'll have a blast! I fear the weather too traveling in Jan out of Nebraska but been lucky so far so fingers crossed for no storms for anyone of anytype anywhere!

My brother & I were talking temps & I said 70 & he said 60 for the high, then we just got up to 60 here & I'm like oh yeah 60 would be fine for the high. When we've had cold & so much wind I forget what 60 or 70 even feels like as I just don't want to be freezing. But then we've been so dry that humidity will be the kicker I'm not used too so hopefully that's not 100%.

The residents along the route of the Space Coast marathon had great drinks and food available. Think bacon, brats, beer, bourbon, Bloody Mary, mimosas, etc. No rides, though.
I'll accept it, despite not having rides if only for the variety of food and drinks provided.
Is it too early to start weather stalking?? :P:Do_O
I was trying to figure out what is the coldest it could possibly be in an effort to figure out what I need to pack.
Insert 20th anniversary jokes here..... :duck:
This year and next year are the last opportunities to have a 'spectacular' at the anniversary mile marker.

Regarding the weather, coming from a climate where this weekend we ran in 20 degrees a few weekends ago it was running over ice covered roads (which it later warmed up to mid 30'), I am being optimistic the temperature will be warmer then home :)

Put in a long run Fri morning

Curious -- where did you do a long run at WDW? I've tried to track out runs but find the lack of walking paths make it difficult. I'm staying a couple of days before Christmas at SSR before doing the half in January and I'm trying to find a route.

Curious -- where did you do a long run at WDW? I've tried to track out runs but find the lack of walking paths make it difficult. I'm staying a couple of days before Christmas at SSR before doing the half in January and I'm trying to find a route.

Looping SSR, OKW and Disney Springs should offer you a pretty decent distance (not sure exactly how much you need!)

Not sure if anyone has noted this but the runDisney website shows the marathon has sold out. Other than Kids Races it looks like we have a completely sold out weekend.
Interesting. It’s been a while since the marathon sold out.

Weather - it really doesn't matter to me, but I would prefer around 55-60.

I ran in 2013 and it sucked donkey balls. I was sick, so I finished way way WAYYYYYY later than anticipated, and running on the highway with no shade when it was 85 made me want to die. I think I drank something like 100 ounces of water during the race and never peed until two hours after I finished "running" (I also had the flu and was dehydrated anyway, so there's that).

I'm glad I'm just running the marathon and have to bring outfits for that one race! I'll probably pack shorts and capris, a tank top, a tech tee, and something long sleeved (maybe a jacket too), hat, ear band, and gloves, in addition to throw-away clothes. In the 30s, I wear capris and two long-sleeves (plus hat, ear band, and gloves); 40s capris and one long-sleeve (plus hat); 50s tee and shorts (plus hat); 60s tank and shorts (plus hat), so I should be all set.

With so many people saying the marathon is their favorite (me too, btw), is anybody looking forward to something special for the 25th anniversary of the marathon?

I hope they do SOMETHING. The 20th anniversary "mile 20 spectacular" was ... not spectacular. I would like to see just more, in general - more characters, more on-course entertainment, more fun fact placards along the course, more LED screens, etc. Not one big "spectacular" moment but just a step up overall.

Not sure if anyone has noted this but the runDisney website shows the marathon has sold out. Other than Kids Races it looks like we have a completely sold out weekend.

It sold out a few weeks ago, I think. I was checking the registration page for merch (cannot decide if I want a 25th anniversary marathon Dooney!), and I remember noticing the Marathon was sold out a while ago. Maybe the west coast races being cancelled spurred more registration?

Are we putting in weather requests? Because this Floridian would like 65*, 70% humidity, and an abundance of large, fluffy clouds passing at regular intervals, please. Every day. As the high and low. Just a steady 65, pleaseandthankyou. :)

I like the EP resorts for long runs: it doesn't require much thought and I put together multiple loops for whatever distance I need. A sidewalk goes around 90% (there's a short stretch where you'll have to run in the grass to avoid traffic) of the outer loop around the resorts, along Epcot Resorts Blvd, plus the inner loop around the lake and the path toward DHS.
(Pleas excuse my shaky mouse-drawing!)
upload_2017-11-28_11-45-40.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter