Marathon Weekend 2018

This is tough because I think a lot of things at the parks retain a good deal of popularity or they would be replaced.
No hidden gem rides I can think of. With rides the converse question would be easier to answer: Is there anything that is popular at the parks that you can easily bypass with minimal regret? (I'm looking at you Haunted Mansion)

HM is probably my biggest disappointment at Disney World. I rode it as a kid back in the 1970's and enjoyed it, then again recently when I started going to DW again for Marathon Weekend. I love dark rides, and it was a pretty good attraction for the 70's, but it hasn't stood up over time and the effects are very dated for 2017. Not to mention that it's a confused mishmash of elements with no coherent theme (a consequence of the design process, if you've read the history of the attraction). I wish they'd update it. Imagine what could be done with 21st century tech.

Sorry that I am way late. Hope everyone had a great week and is having a great Memorial Day weekend. I leave for WDW on Wednesday!

@FelisLachesis sent me this question idea.

Sunday's are for Disney of course so...

Is there something that is not popular at the parks that you like to do or is a must do for you?

I like the old school stuff like the Hall of Presidents. DW in its origin had so much that was a celebration of America.

Is there something that is not popular at the parks that you like to do or is a must do for you?

Swiss Family Tree house, especially after a race so my legs are nice & stiff going down the stairs, hahaha!

I wish they'd update it. Imagine what could be done with 21st century tech.
But it's a classic, I love Haunted Mansion. I would take updates as long as they are in animatronic form and not just a bunch of video screens.

For Disneyland, it's the Casey Jr Train. I'll wait often up to 15 mins past the initial line to ride in the back of the caboose so I can look all across fantasyland.

At WDW, I have to say that Living With the Land (EPCOT) gets much love from us and we know people don't like it because it's usually walk-on. During the hottest parts of the day at EPCOT, there's nothing better than just sitting on that ride to relax.

For Disneyland, it's the Casey Jr Train. I'll wait often up to 15 mins past the initial line to ride in the back of the caboose so I can look all across fantasyland.

At WDW, I have to say that Living With the Land (EPCOT) gets much love from us and we know people don't like it because it's usually walk-on. During the hottest parts of the day at EPCOT, there's nothing better than just sitting on that ride to relax.
I love living with the land!

We're big Living with the Land fans, as well. We did the Behind the Seeds tour a few years back and really enjoyed it.

We love the Land boat ride too. It's crazy though how the crowds can be at that one, as yeah sometimes there's no line, but on our trip in April I was glad I got a fastpass as it was very very long in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Living with the Land lover here too! I love the smell in that pavilion. When I was a kid, and they had the Sunshine Season Food Fair stalls, my sister and I would always get one of the loaded baked potatoes from the potato shop... Clearly, the smell of that pavilion is attached to the memory for me. :) And I love Small World, but I have to say that I was absolutely enamored with the DL version when I saw it for the first time this past March! Will have to get back to DL to see the holiday overlay at some point!

My answer: Country Bear Jamboree! Most people skip this but I love it. My Grandpa took my mom and the rest of his kids to Disney almost every year when they were growing up. One of his favorite things to do was see Big Al, so now I must do the same.[/QUOTE]

Last two trips w the kids we found out Country Bear and PhilharMagic were both hits with them. And since they are inside out of the elements it helps during the hotter months. One of my favorites has always been Peoplemover. I didn't like Space Mountain when I was younger so my mom and I would just ride that while waiting for the rest of the fam.

Sunday Funday question.

I don't know how popular it is, but I love the Monsters, Inc Laugh Floor. I find it hilarious, and I like to visit it during every trip.

Also, I hope this doesn't get me thrown off the boards, but a popular attraction that I don't find all that great - Soarin'. :P I really don't see anything special about it (but I have only done it once - closed for refurb on my last trip).

My answer: Country Bear Jamboree! Most people skip this but I love it. My Grandpa took my mom and the rest of his kids to Disney almost every year when they were growing up. One of his favorite things to do was see Big Al, so now I must do the same.

Yes! We love Country Bears! My family makes sure to see it every visit.

Looks like the half is sold out. My wife just registered last week, glad we decided to sign up. Or it would of pushed her to run the full with me
Oh no! We were debating registering my 15 year old. We registered my 17 year old yesterday. Glad we at least got him in!

Night Time Jungle Cruise. Our boat once started failing halfway through the Jungle Cruise at night one time and our guide gave us extra puns. Now we always have to go on at night I guess it the hopes it happens again? Not really sure but a trip to Disney is not complete without it.

Hmm . . So far all of the things that have been mentioned are things we really enjoy (philharmagic, people mover, living with the land) I would say Haunted Mansion is definitely a popular one, and I LOVE that ride. It's definitely in my top 5!

As far as things that are popular that I don't enjoy, I guess it would be Jungle Cruise. I know the puns and jokes are supposed to be cringe worthy, but it's just way more cringe-y than enjoyable for me-- especially when I start to notice the problematic Imperialistic views of the ride in general (don't hate me, jungle cruise lovers!!).

I love Jungle Cruise :) I didn't realize that the half had filled up. I have a friend that was thinking about it. I assume that travel providers probably still have bibs? I should let her know so she can start exploring that option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter