Marathon Weekend 2018

The original Figment ;)

He's got pretty close to the original 'me'. We've been together since I was 18 and I'm now almost 31. So he got me from the freshmen year of college - through engineering school - 4 job moves (2 of which made us move states) and I've seen him from his awkward - just on his own days at 20 - through moving up the ranks at his job from a floor associate to manager. We've dealt with major moves, major deaths, and other major life decisions. I sometimes feel like we're the odd ones for our age group. People told me we were crazy to get married at 21/23!

Instead of a major 10 year anniversary thing next winter - all our money is going to Run Disney between January and April instead with 4 race trips!
Same with us, we just celebrated 10 and my wife surprised me with a trip down for marathon weekend!

Thank you! Is it after each race, or after the weekend is over, and will MDE explain where to put it in after the race?
When you log onto Photopass/Memory Maker after the race, there will be an option of the race alongside the various parks. Once you select, it will ask you for a code: This is Race specific and is a combination of letters/numbers (indicative of the race you have run, located in the race guide) and including your BIB number.
This probably makes it sound complicated, but believe me it is quite simple once the "buttons" become visible.

Signed up today for the marathon and wife signed up for the half. I noticed on the run disney page it lists the half course as starting at MK and making it's way to Epcot. But it also lists the Start/Finish as Epcot. Think it will be the same route as star wars darkside?

Signed up today for the marathon and wife signed up for the half. I noticed on the run disney page it lists the half course as starting at MK and making it's way to Epcot. But it also lists the Start/Finish as Epcot. Think it will be the same route as star wars darkside?
The WDW half has always run from the Epcot parking lot through MK and back into Epcot.

I think the wording is confusing:

The Walt Disney World® Half Marathon is chock full of excitement, adventure, and surprises on a 13.1-mile course through two of Disney's most beloved theme parks. Your run begins in Magic Kingdom® Park, home to Mickey, Minnie and the whole Disney gang and overflowing with magic, wonder and charm. Then it's on to spectacular Epcot®, home of international World Showcase and all the thrills and delights of Future World. There'll be lots of Disney entertainment along the way plus your favorite Disney characters to cheer you on to a fabulous finish in the shadow of Spaceship Earth.

I think this just means that MK is the first park, and then Epcot. They're just leaving out the non-park portions (Epcot Center Drive and World Drive) before arriving at the MK.

The original Figment ;)

He's got pretty close to the original 'me'. We've been together since I was 18 and I'm now almost 31. So he got me from the freshmen year of college - through engineering school - 4 job moves (2 of which made us move states) and I've seen him from his awkward - just on his own days at 20 - through moving up the ranks at his job from a floor associate to manager. We've dealt with major moves, major deaths, and other major life decisions. I sometimes feel like we're the odd ones for our age group. People told me we were crazy to get married at 21/23!

Instead of a major 10 year anniversary thing next winter - all our money is going to Run Disney between January and April instead with 4 race trips!

Your story is so similar to mine! DH and I met at 16/18 and were married at 21/23 and people told us we were crazy too. 12 years later we are still going strong :) I love that you guys are doing runDisney races for your anniversary!

Us too! Been together since 1998, age 17, Married 10 years in August!! If I could only get him to run with me! Haha

Another young couple here! . Been together since 2001, married in WDW at age 23/28.

Us too but we've got the years for sure! Met at 15/19, married at 24/28 going to be celebrating our 20th anniversary the week before Marathon week! (will celebrate there, where we honeymooned, with our 3 DDs)

Backstage tours: I highly recommend Wild Africa Trek at DAK if you like animals. It's a bit spendy, but you gain a lot of insight, and the lunch (view and food) is spectacular, catered from Tusker House. We did it a few years ago during summer when there was a discount (and totally lucked out on the afternoon t-storms) and had an absolute blast.

Backstage tours: I highly recommend Wild Africa Trek at DAK if you like animals. It's a bit spendy, but you gain a lot of insight, and the lunch (view and food) is spectacular, catered from Tusker House. We did it a few years ago during summer when there was a discount (and totally lucked out on the afternoon t-storms) and had an absolute blast.
We did the trek last month when we were there and it was great! I also highly recommend it!

I think this just means that MK is the first park, and then Epcot. They're just leaving out the non-park portions (Epcot Center Drive and World Drive) before arriving at the MK.
I would leave those parts out too. I would like to forget the return to Epcot portion of the race.

Backstage Tours: I did Backstage Magic in 2013. It was expensive as well but I felt it was worthwhile. At the time we saw how Hall of Presidents worked, how ToT worked, went to costuming, ate at Whispering Canyon Café, got an up close look at the floats for the parade at Animal kingdom at the time, and finished at Magic Kingdom by going through the utilidoors and out to Main Street just in time for the Parade. It's very cool if you want a look at everything, though it's not as in depth as the tours that stick to a single park. I really enjoyed it and our guides were wonderful (so was lunch). Their stories were great. One person on the tour claimed they knew most of the information the guides imparted from books on the parks though and was disappointed. I will say I got enough of a taste for each park that the only other backstage tour I would consider doing is the Wild Africa Trek because it's so different and I love animals.

I feel you on this. There are so many awesome races the first couple weekends of October that it really pains me that we can't use those for POT for Dopey. Star Wars, yes. Tink, yes. Dopey, sadly not.

Just means we have to do our best in the upcoming months :)
Love your positive attitude and I agree with you. I was just lamenting not having the prime race month in these parts to use as a proof of time.

I've lined up a couple of 10 milers to use for POT. One is tomorrow morning. Going forward I'm going to try to schedule some ten milers in just to use as POT for marathon weekend.

Love your positive attitude and I agree with you. I was just lamenting not having the prime race month in these parts to use as a proof of time.

I've lined up a couple of 10 milers to use for POT. One is tomorrow morning. Going forward I'm going to try to schedule some ten milers in just to use as POT for marathon weekend.

You're going to do great tomorrow. Fingers crossed you get an amazing POT - or at least a stepping stone towards your goal time!!!!

I'm a long time Disney fan and running a marathon is on my bucket list (and the kids really want to go back), so I think I'm going to sign up for the 2018 Marathon.

I already bought plane tickets to fly in Friday morning (3 hour flight). Will this give my body sufficient time to be ready to run a marathon about 40 hours after arrival?

I only have been running for a couple months this year, 5-6 miles, 2-3 times per week. A few years ago I ran a half marathon at a pretty steady 9 min/mile pace. Feel pretty confident that I can get back there with proper training, but feeling like I won't be seasoned enough to ignore the fact that I'll be flying.

Was thinking flying in Friday morning, going to the expo Friday night, sit down breakfast and dinner Saturday with maybe the Magic Kingdom squeezed in the middle. Hopefully staying at the Polynesian.

I'm a long time Disney fan and running a marathon is on my bucket list (and the kids really want to go back), so I think I'm going to sign up for the 2018 Marathon.

I already bought plane tickets to fly in Friday morning (3 hour flight). Will this give my body sufficient time to be ready to run a marathon about 40 hours after arrival?

I only have been running for a couple months this year, 5-6 miles, 2-3 times per week. A few years ago I ran a half marathon at a pretty steady 9 min/mile pace. Feel pretty confident that I can get back there with proper training, but feeling like I won't be seasoned enough to ignore the fact that I'll be flying.

Was thinking flying in Friday morning, going to the expo Friday night, sit down breakfast and dinner Saturday with maybe the Magic Kingdom squeezed in the middle. Hopefully staying at the Polynesian.

I don't think that should be a problem. I think a lot of people running the marathon fly in on Saturday so Friday shouldn't be an issue. Might not be the absolute optimal plan for running your best possible time, but I don't think it would prevent you from having a good time and finishing the race. With proper training I think your plan should work out well.

I agree with his. One of my favorite things that I've ever done at WDW!!

For the 2017 marathon, we flew in Friday morning (two flights, one brief layover), went directly to MK on Friday afternoon, stayed late into the evening Friday night and spent Saturday split between the expo and AK...so hardly the best plan prior to a marathon considering the miles I put on, but I can a great race even with some knee problems that predated the trip down by a month or more.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a little running in the day the race just to make sure your muscles are ready for the run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter