Marathon Weekend 2018

Just got an email from runDisney regarding the typo they made with my name...

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for contacting us regarding a runDisney event.

We appreciate your inquiry about editing your registration. You may edit select details on your registration at myevents.ACTIVE.com/runDisney. Should you have further questions, please call us at 407-939-4786.

Elizabeth, we look forward to seeing you at the 2018 Walt Disney World Marathon!

great...but guess what I can't edit when I do that....my name with the stupid typo.... I really hope I don't end up with a bib saying "eliabeth" though it would be a funny story to tell

ETA: Called RunDisney.. runDisney sent me to Active... who sent me back to runDisney... Now the woman on the phone for runDisney is accidentally calling me Eliabeth... this is just ridiculous but so funny...

ETA2: apparently they can't change my name..only I can change my name... and I have to send an email to runDisney to get it fixed...looks like my name will be stuck

Last edited:
So - question for those knowledgable (@DopeyBadger) perhaps:

I am currently half way through training for Dark Side (16 week program). While I've run races before, it has been a few years. So I eased into it and am just following the rD Galloway beginner's plan. I definitely think it's working better for me than any other plans I tried in the past (primarily I really like the timed runs during the week as opposed to the distance runs), and that's evident in the fact that this is the most consistent I have ever been with training. I haven't missed a training run yet.

Now that I've established a good base (and routine!), I was thinking about maybe adding another day of running. The hardest thing to get used to at first with this plan is that it was 3 run days instead of 4. I was thinking about adding a 45 minute run in between to the two 30s (maybe like a Tuesday30/Wednesday45, Friday30). However, then I was just wondering if I'd be better suited doing it as I am but adding a day or two of cross training at the gym that I have a membership but never go to. :rolleyes: Eventually those 30 minute runs will turn into 45 minute runs as I start to really train for the marathon in the summer, but until then.. I don't know.

So, thoughts?

The jump from 3 to 4 days of running would be a good thing, it gives you some back-to-back days in addition to the additional mileage. Going to 4 days can be accomplished pretty easily in most plans, remember adding that additional day is at an easy pace and keep every other day the same. Nothing wrong with cross-training but improving at running requires running.

Now going to 5 or 6 days a week you will really see some changes and that can take some time :)

4 days a week plus one day of cross-training has been my marathon pattern for years, and I think it works well. As far as picking between your 4th day being run or cross-training as you build up, some of it may be dictated by your body and injuries. I needed to add cross-training first, before the 4th day of running, because the cross-training was working on muscle imbalances that were affecting my knees (ITB Syndrome and plantar fasciitis ) and back (not enough core strength). If you go the route of adding a 4th running day, ease into it so your total mileage for the week doesn't jump dramatically at the start. If you haven't been running 3 days in a row, it will take your body a few weeks to adapt

@bryana I agree with @WhereInFlorida and @JeffW. Adding in a 4th day of running will help make you a better runner in the long term picture. Although it needs to be balanced with the rest of your health to justify the addition. Listening to your body is critical when making a decision like this because the end goal of your training is to be happy, healthy, and make it to the starting line ready to race (hence injury free). My suggestion is if you choose to add a 4th day of running (Wednesday) to make it 30 minutes to start off with. See how your body handles the addition of a back-back day (if you aren't already on Friday/Saturday). In most cases, adding more running will make you a better runner. But adding more running may not make you in better health shape overall if the need for strength training, yoga, or some other form of cross-training would better suit you.

The absolute critical part is to keep the training easy. If you stick to a mindset that 80% of the training you should do is easy, then adding in time spent training during the week (like a 4th day) means the extra time should be almost predominantly easy. Ask yourself after every run, "Could I have done one more? One more mile? One more interval? One more sprint?" If the answer is no on a regular basis, then you're likely pushing too hard. If the answer is yes, then you are doing the perfect amount of training (and the right pace/distance, etc.). If after you add a 4th day, you start to answer no, then it would be wise to reassess your options.

Thanks for the response. Interesting results with some of your trainees and your use of a 2.5 hour limit on long runs. I've heard 3 hour limits from other coaches, and generally agree with the rationale, that additional time/mileage isn't really beneficial after that. Another data point to consider as I work with my relatives.

Happy to help! I know Hansons has 3 hours (or 30% of weekly mileage) as their limit and Daniels has 2.5 hours (and many cases 25% of weekly mileage). I'm currently on a hunt to validate RunnersConnect claim of 2 hours for aerobic improvement (mitochondria specifically) threshold (link). It's part of my process in order to define the optimal training style I'd like to approach for myself and adapt the concepts to others.

3. How to love the person I am inside and out
This... :love:

I could use that too.

I am going WAY out on a limb and say this: maybe it's like training for a marathon. You can't expect to run a marathon on day one. You have to train a little bit at a time to build up to it. You build endurance and good running habits and break bad running habits as you train.

So build up to it and build good habits while you're doing it.

So week one, you don't have to love your whole self, just a little bit of your self. Fill in the blank: I love how I _________. Kept running? Planted a tree? Didn't get mad when the guy in front of me had 21 items in the express lane? You get the idea.
Week two: I love how I ______ and _________.

Then there's the breaking of bad habits: catch yourself when you're negative. Don't say 'I hate myself when I ____'. Just like learning good form while running, at first it has to be a conscious effort: lift your arms, push off more, breath properly. At some point through repetition, it becomes automatic.

Enough of me blabbering about things I don't have a clue about...

I've stayed at Pop for the last several years of Marathon weekend trips and have grown fond of it--this from a "you won't catch me there, ever" person. I get top floor facing the lake and it works out well. I get relative peace and quiet and nice views. The lack of a coffee pot is a little annoying--but the coffee is swill, anyway, so I don't think I'm missing much.

Yes, the lake view room at Pop is good advice. I found it this year to be a quiet and peaceful location (away from the pool side). The only commotion I heard was Saturday morning with people cheering on the runners doing their fun run around the lake, when the half had been cancelled. And then I went down and joined the runners, which really made the day.

Yes, the lake view room at Pop is good advice.
I don't actually see lake-view as a room option. The preferred rooms say "pool view" which for quiet sake, even in January I know I don't want. The standard rooms basically say "parking lot" LOL! So which do I choose for the lake side?

@bryana I agree with @WhereInFlorida and @JeffW. Adding in a 4th day of running will help make you a better runner in the long term picture. Although it needs to be balanced with the rest of your health to justify the addition. Listening to your body is critical when making a decision like this because the end goal of your training is to be happy, healthy, and make it to the starting line ready to race (hence injury free). My suggestion is if you choose to add a 4th day of running (Wednesday) to make it 30 minutes to start off with. See how your body handles the addition of a back-back day (if you aren't already on Friday/Saturday). In most cases, adding more running will make you a better runner. But adding more running may not make you in better health shape overall if the need for strength training, yoga, or some other form of cross-training would better suit you.

The absolute critical part is to keep the training easy. If you stick to a mindset that 80% of the training you should do is easy, then adding in time spent training during the week (like a 4th day) means the extra time should be almost predominantly easy. Ask yourself after every run, "Could I have done one more? One more mile? One more interval? One more sprint?" If the answer is no on a regular basis, then you're likely pushing too hard. If the answer is yes, then you are doing the perfect amount of training (and the right pace/distance, etc.). If after you add a 4th day, you start to answer no, then it would be wise to reassess your options.

Thank you all! It definitely gives me something to consider. I'm just starting to feel like I'm not doing "enough", probably because of all of those other plans I used to do being 4 days. I'm doing a run streak right now for the month of February so I was thinking about making any changes when that's over. I think I will follow the suggestion to add another 30 first. My schedule right now is pretty solid through mid-May. I have Dark Side in April, then Broad Street Run two weeks after that, then Brooklyn half two weeks after BSR. After that, I'll probably start marathon training, which is primarily when I really think I'll feel like I'm not doing enough (at least during the week; obviously the long runs will be more than enough lol). I'm considering entering the MCM lottery so obviously that will mean training will start sooner than if I was only doing WDW.

Black Sharpie! I bring one and have used it to add my name to a bib when I registered late. Had the advantage of actually being big enough to read.

that's ultimately what i'll have to do. Not exactly what I want to do...but hey. again... it'll make a very funny story.

I don't actually see lake-view as a room option. The preferred rooms say "pool view" which for quiet sake, even in January I know I don't want. The standard rooms basically say "parking lot" LOL! So which do I choose for the lake side?
When you do online check before your trip I'm pretty sure you can pick lake view for one of your request (you use to anyway) along with like floor and decade as other options. For now you would just book a standard room. If we stay POP or actually even at All-Stars we pick top floor as one of our requests, as it's usually the quietest.

When you do online check before your trip I'm pretty sure you can pick lake view for one of your request (you use to anyway) along with like floor and decade as other options. For now you would just book a standard room. If we stay POP or actually even at All-Stars we pick top floor as one of our requests, as it's usually the quietest.

This is how I have done my last few visits at POP, I book a standard room and then I pick lake view and 50's at check in and have received both requests each time. Lake view is great because it does seem pretty quiet, and the added bonus of seeing the fireworks for Star Wars and Epcot over the lake too! 50's is nice because it is not too far away from the food court area and busses, but far enough away to not be too loud. Just my experience there but I recommend lake view for sure!

At the time of on-line check in thru myDisneyexperience I was able to make that request, and when I got there it was granted.

@bryana
I believe you made an important statement which is you use to do 4 day a week training. If that's true, and you had no problems with it previously then you should have no problem doing it now as well. While your current Galloway training is three days per week, I can see no reason adding another day of 30-45 min of easy running would be harmful if you've done it successfully in other training plans. Listen to your body.

I can understand the "not doing enough mindset" as it moved me from three days a week to six days a week of running. This was successful. Then I said I'm not doing enough again. So i moved easy days duration from 60 min to 90 min. This was not as successful of a decision and led to problems. So sometimes the feeling of not enough can push you to new heights and sometimes it can cause more harm than good. You just have to find that personal balance.

This is how I have done my last few visits at POP, I book a standard room and then I pick lake view and 50's at check in and have received both requests each time. Lake view is great because it does seem pretty quiet, and the added bonus of seeing the fireworks for Star Wars and Epcot over the lake too! 50's is nice because it is not too far away from the food court area and busses, but far enough away to not be too loud. Just my experience there but I recommend lake view for sure!
Awesome. Great to know. That's where I plan on staying. Stayed once before and for some reason it's calling me back!

@ZellyB I heard back from the DVC rental store that they were all out of AKL studios, I didn't want the others that were in. My budget for this trip so back to the (likely POP) drawing board for me. I hope something comes through for you.

Was it a particular type of studio view? Or them not having a home resort owner right now? This seems a little nuts with how large AKL is with both kidani and jambo!

Awesome. Great to know. That's where I plan on staying. Stayed once before and for some reason it's calling me back!

exactly. Love POP for marathon weekend. Have only stayed in the 50s. Upper floors. Love lake view. This will be POP trip #6 out of the 7 marathon weekends I have run. (the other was Contemporary, so it was an acceptable reason to skip POP...LOLOLOL)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter